Procedure root/unroot for X6?

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X6 Pro' started by hook7, Sep 26, 2015.

1. maxfratin

maxfratin New Member

OK @Harlan ! Long but clear! I will try this step...and let you know! Thank you in advance!
    Ciao!

2. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

I think that a well done recovery file with a well done script inside will be able to do the whole "root cleaning".
    Now I explain why I think so...
    Yesterday evening I had to flash a MM ROM on my old but reliable Galaxy S2. I had a problem related to system partition too small.
    Looking around on XDA, I've found a "recovery flash script" (from master lanchon) that should do this automatically.
    Downloaded, rebooted under TWRP recovery, flashed, then waited a lot of time (but with a visual feedback of current activity).
    At the end Ive flashed ROM succesfully, rebooted, all fine!

Removing orphaned file, even on no more rooted X6, should be easier...

Zidoo developers, what do you think about?

3. Harlan

Harlan Active Member

It should get you closer to running your picky Italian DRM'd streaming app. I'm sorry I can't help you with that. I'm fully rooted and haven't found any apps that refuse to run on my X6. I've run the regular Amazon Video, Netflix, Hulu, Sling TV, and Directv apps on mine with all those Zidoo firmwares installed. In fact, I've run HBO, Starz, Showtime, and Cinemax apps for years on rooted Nexus Androids without any complaint . The only app that ever refused to run because the device was rooted, happened to be a dedicated Directv app for their crappy GenieGo device. It had such low resolution that I couldn't stand to watch media on it, so I gave mine away.

4. Harlan

Harlan Active Member

I've just started looking into the Zidoo X6 partition layout and recovery. I copied (dd dump files) each partition and the entire 16gb memery block to one of my attached USB hard drives. So, I plan on mounting those on my Linux laptop and playing around with them later on after I do some more research. But I only have one X6 box, and my family would rather watch TV with it than watch me poking around all day in a terminal emulator;-)

You might be able to use the adb shell tools to reverse the process and restore your system and userdata partition images with dd. If you are rooted and feeling really lucky or adventurous, you could even try remounting those two partitions in read/write mode and attempt to copy your partition images back with dd (while your rooted box is up and running). I wouldn't recommend it, unless you are ready to reflash, in the likely event that something goes wrong or it just doesn't work too well. At this point, I don't even know if SELinux will let you do that, even in permissive mode.

I trust the Zidoo devs when they say they are working on a version of TWRP recovery and that they just need some more time to get everything working right. Despite the fact that so many trolls here claim that they are sending their X6 back, or getting rid of one, there are few if any refurbished or used ones for sale in the usual outlets.. If there were, I'd have already bought one;-)

5. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

Harlan, thanks for your explanations, and I understand your "family" situation (even mine is rather different).
    I absolutely don't want to "unroot" my X6, by my point of view I'll never subscribe a service that needs an unrooted device to be used.
    For this "paranoid" programs, I hope that someone will build a working "root cloaking" app/mod...

Full and true unroot is needed by the ones that have subscribed this "pesky" services and, of course, legitimately want to use it on them X6.

Anyway, now I've another idea to root or unroot X6.
    I suppose that Zidoo OTA files contains script executed during flashing procedure with full rights to all the system. I also suppose that are signed to avoid tampering.
    In the past month Zidoo provided at least a FW OTA update very, very small.

So, with the same procedure, I think Zidoo developers should be able to make two (maybe generic, i.e. not binded to a specific FW version ?) OTA files able to root (one) or unroot (the other) X6 in a perfect and clean way.
    To root or unroot a device, one or more reboots are always needed, so this way is not worse than other.

Zidoo developers, what do you think about?

6. Harlan

Harlan Active Member

FYI, the Directv GenieGo app, that I mentioned in my comment above actually did run on all of my rooted devices. You just had to employ the SuperSU setting to temporarily uninstall and hide your root. I've never encountered an app that method failed to work on, but as I mentioned above, I've only had trouble with that one particular app.

Sometimes you can unpack and repack an apk and replace a subpackaged apk or file signed by the original builders, i.e. replace an older version with a newer one. But you can't ever add or delete files from one that's properly signed without the private key that was used to build the original package in the first place.

7. Keith Williams

Keith Williams New Member

Virgin media's tv anywhere app fails because of partial root.
    Once this "install root then uninstall root" using both busybox and supersu has been performed, I am assuming ALL traces of root will be removed. Is this correct? Also will future FW updates ota or local stay unrooted completely or will the Zidoo dirty firmware return.
    Many thanks for your help on this and other topics you have helped others with.
    Keith

8. Harlan

Harlan Active Member

You'll need to run a root checker to see if there are any remaining problems. The latest v.1.0.36 Zidoo firmware distribution contains the same orphaned files as the earlier point releases.

9. Keith Williams

Keith Williams New Member

Doesnt seem worth all the effort if every update is going to overwrite the system with a "partial" root. I just want to unroot and stay unrooted for skygo/virginanywhere to work when needed. As .30 had 2 versions (rooted and unrooted) why can't Zidoo recognise some people need a FULLY unrooted system, and want to keep it that way. I am sure the same goes for people who have root and want to keep it that way. A dual release of an update makes sense, but only if the Unrooted version is fully unrooted.

10. Harlan

Harlan Active Member

I can't really say that unrooting your box will allow you to run those particular DRM'd apps. They might just change error messages and begin insisting that you disconnect your external HDMI display.

Siam Wahid likes this.
  11. Siam Wahid

Siam Wahid New Member

Yes

12. Siam Wahid

Siam Wahid New Member