Announcement for 2.2.82?

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by leonkoum, Jul 12, 2019.

1. leonkoum

leonkoum Active Member Beta test group

There are reports that today we have a new fw 2.2.82 in OTA
    Is it true?

2. Miguel Ramos

Miguel Ramos Active Member

Yes! It was automatically update online. Go to "upgrade" in the menu and try to update online.

3. leonkoum

leonkoum Active Member Beta test group

OK!!!! :)
    Any change log?

4. futeko.com

futeko.com Active Member

5. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

Seems exactly same as 2.2.78 I installed last week. As previoulsy sated I don't know who this update is for as it addresses none of the main issues thet plague this box

Problematic bluray menu implementation
    Continuing issues with seamless branching in BDMV\ISO - is fact seems to have taken a step back
    No forced subs in BDMV\ISO
    No real update to HT2

That's from my perspective - interested to see if this has made any improvements for other people.

6. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

As I reported, 2.2.78 introduced stuttering nfs playback on mine, especially on big files, this 2.2.82 hasn’t fixed it, same files are fine via smb.

7. Fzzl

Fzzl New Member

Hi.
    Hi, I also just received the updated. Unfortunately, after update all the apps cannot use anymore. Any suggestion? I'm totally new to this android box. Thanks.

8. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

Scratch that, on really high bit rate 4K files with atmos having smb playback problems also, not as bad as nfs but regular pauses and glitches ☹️

9. Fzzl

Fzzl New Member

Thanks.

10. Schumy

Schumy Member

I am on 2.2.61 which is not perfect but at least stable and no major issues with 4K mkv playback which is my main use. I just hope the video quality can further improve, in that case, is it a good idea to update to this new 2.2.82? Thanks

11. kabuki

kabuki New Member

Same here, all bigger files seem to stutter. Playing over nfs or smb. Update made the box pretty much useless.
    So it seems I am not the only one with the issue, hope we can find a fix or I need to downgrade

12. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Player/system seems to be considerable more stable than with the previous FW's, but need to see which problems have been solved exactly? The more I use it the better it looks.

Introduced with recent/this FW:
    1. Movie Player with "Direct play" may not find the included subtitle on BD's. When playing with "BD Menu" it is found as it should. This typically happens on old BD's with just a "subtitle ON/OFF" option. I seem to see this specifically with "Kino Lorber" BD releases?
    2. The USB3 ports are not reliable. Multiple users report HDD's to disconnect at random.
    But some other USB problems seem to have been solved.
    3. The Seamless Branching problem seems to be back to square one: Heavy Video stutters and Audio losses of several seconds at those scene changes via SATA (worse via NAS).
    4. The Zidoo SMB client now inter-works correctly with Android 7 SMB Server implemented on Hisilicon media players like Himedia, Egreat and Dinobot. The reverse Zidoo SMB Server still does not work with Hisilicon Clients.

System
    1. Fix the problem that Google Play can't log in (reinstall Google Play Kit after upgrade)

Seems to be corrected indeed in the sense that it works now.
    Remark: After installing Gappsinstaller the player wants to reboot but will hang on ZIUI when shutting down. Only a forced power cycle will restart the player with the Google Play Store installed.

2.HDR to SDR Add Rec.2020 mode
    No personal use for it, but option is available.
    Feature is confirmed to work well by others.

3. Optimize the connection speed and stability of WIFI connection, repair the abnormality of the player caused by the disconnection of the WIFI connection NAS, and optimize the online playback stability when connecting WIFI.
    Don't use. No reaction

4. Optimize the NFS connection strategy to avoid player (gallery) error reporting due to network fluctuations
    Don't use. No reaction

5. Modify the individual audio demo video playback card problem
    No idea what this is about?

6. Add camera application
    Was added again after a long absence. Don't have a camera attached myself.
    Wonder when "Clock" and "Calendar"APP's will be added again too? Both do work when installed manually. Extracted those from older Zidoo FW versions.

7. Optimize the fluctuation of the network environment, play the NAS video even if there is no sound in the existing picture
    No idea what this is about?

8. Optimize Bluetooth connection stability

Connected my BT remote AK86. Using it without problems thus far.
    Remark: The pop-up system keyboard (Google login) will not interwork with my BT Remote!
    It works on (some) other instances.

9. Optimize system stability
    - The Eject problem has been fixed with FW 2.2.82 (not FW 2.2.78). Thanks for that!
    - Will look out for a few others occurring randomly. Thus far USB3 disconnects reported and had a loss of audio when a UHD play with menu ended normally but kept a black screen.

10. Add mobile phone control function (you can control all functions of the player by mobile phone. In 'All Apps - Control Center' you can change the device name, the mobile phone control app has been put on Google Play, and the Apple Store is uploaded later.
    Nice APP which works well as far as tried. Similar to the web interface with Quick Setup and HT added.

Player
    1. Subtitle download increases multi-language simultaneous download function

Thanks! Took me a while to find out how this worked.
    See Quick Settings.

2. Optimize DLNA projection function
    Don't use. No reaction

3. Optimize the plug-in ASS, SSA special effects subtitles, the memory leak caused the player (gallery) error
    Don't use. No reaction

Blu-ray navigation
    1. Subtitle download increases multi-language simultaneous download function

Thanks! Took me a while to find out how this worked.
    See Quick Settings

Poster wall
    1. Optimize custom wallpaper loading to solve the problem of loading long images or high resolution images that are easy to crash

Don't use. No reaction

2. Optimize the search interface
    Don't use. No reaction

3. Optimize stability
    Can't confirm this yet, but for now still looking good.

Music player
    1. Completely rewrite the playback engine and upgrade to ZIDOO MUSIC V5.0

OK. Who cares about the main version number really? From 2.0 to 5.0 the main look and feel remained identical for me.
    What is much more relevant is that DST (decompression) for DFF and ISO tracks is now also working. DST is integral part of the SACD standard.
    DST is always present with MCH ISO's and occasionally also for 2CH ISO's. Now only MCH track playback remains unsupported just as Native DSD output. MCH ISO's will play the also included 2CH track only. Native 2CH DSD output will only be supported with the announced UHD2000 4K media player.
    For true MCH SACD one needs to manually convert those tracks to MCH PCM using an external program. Being very CPU intensive it is not expected by me to come with a future FW upgrade.

2. Optimize playback stability, such as SACD abnormal jump problem

Thus far confirmed

3. Add multiple audio formats, such as AIF
    Don't use. No reaction

4. Folder interface optional original directory structure browsing
    I like this one. As at least I can now browse the structure as setup by myself from within Music Player

5. Optimize CUE file playback accuracy
    Can't confirm this as I do not have albums known to be handled incorrectly before.

Quick Settings (added with FW 2.2.82)
    1. Subtitle download adds support for multiple languages
    Thanks! Took me a while to find out how this worked. Works great in practice; love it!
    One can indeed select multiple download languages now by tagging those desired in Quick Setup (Default Languages => Download Languages). These will all show provided they are available when asking for a subtitle download. Warning: The setup overview will show only the first language selected which had me confused for a while!

2. Modify the settings of the audio original sample rate output switch.
    Seems now to include SACD playback at 176.4 kHz implicitly.
    It simplifies setup so looks fine to me.

Bottom line not totally happy yet with this FW but for sure the best FW thus far. :cool:
    Focus seems to be also on new things and not getting the new line of players rock stable first. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  13. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

Agree totally with your notes. A lot of 'fixes' that don't seem to make sense or don't appear to be of much use. I would like improvements to HT2 but there are still more importnat issues to fix (seamless branching and forced subs in BDMV\ISO)

I emailed Zidoo yesterday listing all the issues\requests I have made since December 2018 - as not one of them has been fixed\added! They need to up their game.

14. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

What about HT2 using the new APP? They seem to be working on it for sure.
    Seamless branching was not on the update list. Also high on my priority bug fix list

15. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

Agree the new phone app is pretty nice - even gives me my number one request for HT2 which is true split between TV and Movies.

Seamless branching has taken a step back in my opinion. Below my testing with Thor Ragnarok UHD which has four joins. This behaviour also reported by poster on AVSforums.

0:04:25.640 freezes
    0:08:39.268 audio and video glitch
    2:02:33.929 freezes
    2:02:53.657 freezes

Edit: Also tested The Great Gatsby UHD disk. This has ten M2TS joins. Everyone has a very noticeable 1 to 2 second skip at the join. Zidoo had improved but not eradicated this issue but we now seem to be back where we were!

Lets not even mention forced subs!!!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  16. Schumy

Schumy Member

Thanks guys, I have updated it, it doesn't cause any problem but I don't notice any difference in picture quality.

17. kabuki

kabuki New Member

Over SMB, even my very big files play without stutter now. I don't know why I initially had issues with this release. Currently working. Rec2020 addition is great!

18. Richard Moffett

Richard Moffett New Member

Great, my box was working fine before the update, now every file I try to play freezes and goes back to the title page. Also the poster wall keep flashing up with only 3 movies and then going back to my full catalogue again. Does this after every file I try to play. Wish I hadn't bothered updating but I assumed it would be ok seeing as it was a pushed out OTA update.

19. kabuki

kabuki New Member

Please give more info, smb, nfs or local play etc. Which type of files etc

20. Richard Moffett

Richard Moffett New Member

All my files are MKV played from external hard drives. They are mostly larger file sizes, 20+GB. I will try some smaller sized files but so far this update has rendered the player unusable at the moment.:(