External HD USB 3.0

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by camerinik, May 14, 2019.

1. camerinik

camerinik New Member

Hi guys,
    I wanted to ask you if anyone has ever connected a 4 TB USB 3 external hard drive.
    Thanks a lot

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Yes any value between 2TB and 8 TB and max 10 HDD concurrently. See my review for Z9S (worked with X9S too).

3. lucabis

lucabis Member

Hi, can I have links to your review? Thank you

4. Nice Monkey

5. lucabis

lucabis Member

Thank you I read your review with interest. So if I buy a USB hub and then I connect the hard disks are they all seen by the x9s?

6. lucabis

lucabis Member

Could this be okay?

Attached Files:

7. lucabis

lucabis Member

Nice Monkey Can you help me please? If I buy a USB hub, are there any problems?

8. Nice Monkey

No should just work fine.

9. lucabis

lucabis Member

Thank you.

10. Nice Monkey

It's a pleasure.:)

11. Tony77

Tony77 Member

Wanted to mention... I noticed that when I used my 3.0 usb port, I was only able to utilize ONE usb2.0 port simultaneously.. For example I had 1 device in 3.0 & 1 in usb2.0, & then I noticed my TRANSFLASH/MICROSD card in microsd slot DISAPPEARED???? If I plugged in another usb 2.0 device it wouldn't appear...
    To continue to utilize my mircoSDcard I had to either unplug either the usb stick from 3.0 port OR the usb from 2.0 port??? I guess the ports are tied together somehow & is not a big problem as I use mostly SMB devices, BUT I was a bit concerned when my 128GB SDCARD was nowhere to be found!!!

12. Emmanuel81

Emmanuel81 Member

Thought I should mention I'm currently using a 12tb WD Purple Surveillance drive on USB 2.0 with no issue. My USB 3.0 drive has given me issues since day one but I figured it's an isolated issue.

13. Tony77

Tony77 Member

Seems like monkey mentioned a possible 8TB limit... I might add, did u have anything else plugged in when u used the USB 3.0 port?

As an aside.. all my files are on LAN but you can probably take ANY of those USB external drives & pullout the hard drive from case & connect to included internal SATA wire.. no need to necessarily install INSIDE zidoo, probably just sitting alongside zidoo or on top is fine as long as in a safe location.;)

PS. Aside from file TRANSFER speed, USB 2.0 is fast enough for ANY & EVERY PLAYBACK format.. so unless your using as a NAS usb3.0 not necessary.. (not sure if file scrape time is faster on usb3.0.. possible)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  14. Emmanuel81

Emmanuel81 Member

Thanks for the info. and yes I was hoping to decrease the loading time for scraping and poster art display in HT 2.0. The USB 3.0 port technically works but it's lagging, doesn't run as smooth as USB 2.0 and I've tested it on two separate Zidoo X9s boxes with nothing else plugged in. You really see the difference when navigating around and using the mouse toggle. Assuming you have an X9s, try out 3.0 and give it a closer look; let me know if you notice anything odd.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019