New firmware v2.1.25 version for ZIDOO X9S release

Discussion in 'X9S Official Firmware Releases' started by mirror, May 5, 2019.

1. Franconian

Franconian Active Member

Ok I thought display should be in Auto so that the upscaling of material that is not 4K is done by the LG OLED and not by the Zidoo - Ive read that somewhere?!

Anyway the new firmware is not fixing the No Signal issue for me. I still have to switch on my Zidoo last (LG OLED > Denon AVR > Denon HDMI port for the Zidoo > Zidoo) otherwise i get No Signal, wich is only fixed by switching the Zidoo off and on again. The Zidoo is my only device that has this kind of issue. Luckily I can program a few seconds delay in my Logitech Harmony.

Auto or 2160 60 + Lock Resolution make no difference :(

2. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Yes, I've said it multiple times in this forum. Typically TV and projector would do a better job upscaling and applying motion processing (frame interpolation) on 24fps material if desired. It's due to the fact that the TV processing is optimized for panel native resolution and display characteristics.

Auto resolution and refresh rate for movie playback is controlled by:
    Quick Settings > Playback
    (tab) > Automatic Frame Rate (left panel) > Frame Rate Mode (right panel) > Switch Frame Rate and Resolution (selection)

Resolution and refresh rate for Zidoo interface home screen and Home Theater poster wall (posters pupping open to full screen and pages scrolling up and down) is controlled by:

Quick Settings > Display > HDMI Mode > selection of Lock Resolution, Auto or selection of resolution and refresh rate like 4K 60Hz.

This does not effect movie playback. Source images for home screen and poster wall are generated by Zidoo on the fly. It will scale posters and art to 4K smaller images and apply 60fps processing if selected making motion smoother compared to 24fps.

IMG_1129.JPG IMG_1128.JPG

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  3. godalmighty

godalmighty Active Member

i dont understand by you mean it resumed when you inserted your hdd
    everytimes i update my firmware it doesnt change whatever i already got in HT even if i only update my HT still doesnt change anything that i've already scan
    so i dont have to scan it again except if i add a new files off course :D
    not save but you can backup dan restore
    first i always change Poster Directory to my hard drive than to internal memory
    Screenshot_20190510-142429.png
    then if you already scanned all your files,you can go to Library and do a backup to a storage directory you choosed
    Screenshot_20190510-142439.png
    before that i thought it gonna solved another habit :(
    everytimes i boot up my device, after get in homescreen at first the homescreen will blink black a second

mohamed75 likes this.
  4. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Black screen blink is here to stay unless you are willing to sacrifice resolution / refresh rate matching for all sources. When Zidoo is performing initial boot with Zidoo logo across the screen is probably using 1080p at 60Hz. Locking playback and display to 1080p at 60fps would most likely eliminate the "Black Screen Blink" issue all together. I learned to live with it rather than facing up-conversion / down-conversion and refresh rate forcing to fixed 60fps in order to avoid once per movie Black Screen Blink.

When Zidoo boots up I see one blink when home screen settles. Next blink is when the movie starts about 2 seconds into the movie and one more on the way back to home screen. I have OLED pure black screen and I watch movies with the lights off. Screen going black and bright again or even worse blast bright in HDR is bad :( I kind of anticipate this right now and close my eyes ;)

The changes in resolution / refresh rate require complete new timing of the HDMI port. The black screen is combination of Zidoo and the TV trying to synchronize on new frequency. I don't know if this can be avoided unless you lock the display to fixed resolution / refresh rate no matter what the source is.

Display lock feature (used only for the home screen) allows me to use quick sleep mode rather than long boot process and avoid initial blink.

5. Since I upgraded Zidoo to the latest firmware, every time I start Zidoo , I get a message that the "Poster Wall is not responding".
    I have to get out the HT2 and come back again.
    Is there any way to fix it?

6. nnay07

nnay07 Member

You can update from 2.1.24 to 2.1.25 without problems.

mohamed75 likes this.
  7. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Nobody else is complaining. It must be something on your system. Do you have posters stored on USB drive or something similar? Delete all sources and check again. If nothing works try to delete database by menu button on HT icon in app listing - last resource.

I get this message on occasion as well. Click on HT and it works again.

8. My posters are stored on Zidoo. But it is not a big deal. I have to exit the HT 2 and enter again.
    Everything else works fine.
    Thanks again for your reply.

9. godalmighty

that why i assumed that locking the display resolution would eliminated the first black screen blink
    i just only tried with 1080p 60hz, with my UHD TV it still exist and then with my fullHD projector, it still exist too :(
    for second blink, if we want to eliminated it, just dont used auto switch

and yes, same with you, i always closed my eyes when the second blink come :(
    even for my projector that not so bright compare to my UHD TV, but i use 100" screen and still uncomfort when it does

i dont use sleep mode coz i always turn off my power switch when i`m done watching
    yes it occured sometimes but very rarely
    i even dont remember when the last time it happened :(

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    3DBuff likes this.
  10. ton_dahlia

ton_dahlia Member

Hi, now i'm on 2.1.22 , there's no serious concerning to upgrade to 2.1.25 right ?

11. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

I did 2.1.22 to 2.1.25. No issues in my case.

12. No issues here either.

13. godalmighty

when i tried set hdmi display to 1080p 23hz, i wonder if the auto switch work or not?
    coz when i play a movie, it dont blink blank screen at 2seconds after start

14. Mine is set at 1080p/ 23 (since I don’t play 4K) and I never get a blank screen after the movie has started.

15. godalmighty

just wondering when we set to 1080p 23hz, does it mean that the autoswitch dont work anymore for 23.976fps

16. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

It does but Zidoo home screen has to be the same resolution / refresh rate as the move you are going to play. Since most of the movies are 1080p / 23.976fps setting display to the same will eliminate blink with playback set to auto resolution and refresh rate.

I’d rather put up with blink and keep home screen and poster wall at 4K 60fps for fluid poster opening motion and page scrolling.

23Hz is 23.976fps.
    Fps (frames per second) is used in film and video to describe precision of motion capture. Hz is used in display technology to describe screen refresh rate. You could have static picture on the screen and refresh rate 60 or 24Hz. The refresh rate has to perfectly match with fps or we end up with skipping frames and micro stutter like we had with previous firmware for years.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    godalmighty likes this.
  17. godalmighty

by that is not necessary for me set on auto switch again since almost all my files are 1080p 23.976fps
    coz now i rather use my fullHD projector than my UHD TV to watch my movies
    but i dont see any different if i set hdmi display to 2160p @60hz for fluid poster opening motion or page scrolling

18. Oceliome

Oceliome New Member

"Added function that when showing video information the movie will continue playing"

where is this fonction? can't find it. thanks in advance.

19. godalmighty

when a movie play, press menu, go to advanced and there is video information
    previous firmware,when we want to see video information,the movie will pause but now the movie still playing

3DBuff likes this.
  20. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

@godalmighty you can't tell the difference between 24fps film and 60fps soap opera TV show videos?
    For trial disable any type of motion interpolation and make sure the TV or projector follows the HDMI signal in 24fps mode. Sometime you need to enable special function like Real Cinema for LG TV's and probably something different for other brands in order to get true 24fps and not 24 to 60 using 3:2 pulldown on 60Hz display. This will ensure you have true 24fps to 24Hz display with possible matched multiplier of native refresh rate like 5:1 pulldown in my case on 120Hz LG OLED panel. OLED is extreme case for 24fps film material where lack of blur common for LCD displays and fast frame transitions makes 24fps strobing and popping. Now changing display setting to 60fps in Zidoo will smooth thing out a lot when posters are opening and pages scrolling :) That's what I'm talking about.

Applying motion interpolation TruMotion on my LG TV will generate missing frames to smooth out the strobing frames all the way to 120fps if selected. Using 24 fps film material motion processor has to generate 4 missing frames for every true frame from the film source. With 4K display, 10bit per colour and 120Hz it makes mistakes showing up as artifacts. Older TV models with lower processing power would show more issues compared to the latest versions. Pushing 24fps too far with my 2016 (LG OLED the last best 3D TV ever made) results in distracting artifacts popping as contour splash. 60fps makes it pleasant motion without stressing motion processor in my case.