New firmware v2.1.40 beta version for ZIDOO Z9S release

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by mirror, Jan 24, 2019.

1. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

Black/green screen doesn’t seem to affect 4K 10 bit hdr with atmos, that’s why you havent seen it.

nikparf likes this.
  2. x9suser

x9suser Member

It doesn't matter if the movie has HDR to get the black screen.

For me just setting the manual resolution to 4k, 10 bit , (24 , 25, 30 hz) without even playing a movie will get the black screen.

So it doesn't involve Atmos either.

But I haven't experienced any green screen so far though. But I do hear of the green screen happenning to people when they play movies with 7.1 aac audio ,(I think).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  3. afss

afss Active Member

This was also the case with me - even without playing any movies (just on the main Z9S GUI/menu) I was getting the intermittent black screens. Funny thing that when I originally changed the main resolution to 1080p/60 the black screen stopped for a while, but came back some days later. Like I said before, the behavior of my JVC RS540 projector was as it was trying to re-synch with the HDMI signal, thus I was speculating the Z9S may be changing an HDMI parameter on the fly, forcing those ad-hoc black screens.

4. Dan

Dan Member

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  5. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

These are called sparklies and are usually a symptom of a bad HDMI cable, but that is not the case here and I think this is a clue as to why these black screens are occurring.

Whatever issue is causing the black screens, I think your setup is responding by displaying sparklies rather than resyncing the HDMI (black screen) but I think the cause is the same.

I have seen similar sparklies on 1295 boxes - either the Dune or Zappiti, I forget which - a while ago, but only at 10-bit 444 (to avoid doubt, this was using "Slim HDMI" premium certified HDMI cables)

When I switched to 12-bit 444 they disappeared which was another reason to discount bad cabling since 12-bit is 2.3Gbps faster.

There is an issue which obviously needs a fix here, and I'm sure it will come, but unfortunately in the meantime it cannot be mitigated by switching to 12-bit 444 since Zidoo have confirmed to me that the box still outputs 10-bit 444 even when <Priority 12-bit> is selected in setup - this is by design.

There is an argument here for Zidoo to reinstate 12-bit 444 because I would expect any display that can cope with 10-bit 444 is going to be a able to display 12-bit and this may mitigate both the sparklies and the black screens (if my previous experience of 1295 boxes is anything to go by).

I suspect disabling 12-bit is causing more confusion than leaving it active since most will wrongly assume the box outputs 12-bit if selected. The only reason I noticed is because I use a Vertex.

gymnos and Dan like this.
  6. x9suser

x9suser Member

So the solution is that simple, I hope Zidoo will take your suggestion without further ado.

7. Markswift2003

It may be - as I said my experience was with 1295 boxes, but I suspect it would work on 1296 too.

8. Wim67

Wim67 New Member

Same here

9. metar

metar New Member

I enabled the "downmix hd audio", but it didn't worked.
    I tried another way, just turning OFF the "frame rate mode" under "automatic frame rate", and there is a VERY BIG improvement: now few movies only give me the 'holes' in the audio....:):):)

10. Miguel Ramos

Miguel Ramos Active Member

Hi,

Maybe you can help me. I have a TW9300 connected to the Z10 and I can't get not more that on 8 bits 4:4:4 with 4K HDR movies.

With my X10 I was able to get 12 bits 4:2:2 with better PQ and color. I was thinking that with the Z10 I wouldn't have this issue.

Were you able to solve this? What your Zidoo settings?

Next week I will receive my brand new TW9400!

I would appreciate a lot your help.

11. Markswift2003

If you set the Zidoo to 12-bit 422 I can't see any reason why it wouldn't output 12-bit 422 - the Epson EDID should allow it.

But, and it's a big but, 8-bit and 12-bit 422 are both handled internally as 8-bit, so you will see no difference between the two modes - 12-bit 422 is still 8-bit colour padded to 12-bit. This seems inherent in the chipset as all 129* boxes do the same whereas others don't (HiSilicon, Tegra etc).

The big issue with both 8-bit and 12-bit 422 is that inputting 10-bit sources (eg UHD BD rips) you'll see chroma banding on gradients (dependent on how the file was handled in Post of course).

When you get your new PJ, the HDMI won't be limited to 10.2Gb/s (as the 9300) so you can then set the Zidoo to 10-bit 444 for 4K23 which is the optimal HDMI mode for 4K23 playback.

gymnos and Miguel Ramos like this.
  12. Miguel Ramos

Miguel Ramos Active Member

Thanks a lot for your message and information. I'm not fully aware of those differences between 8, 10 and 12 bits. I'll use your recommended settings for the new projector, hopefully, arriving next week. Anyway the PQ it's better in the mode that I've referred to you. I've posted:

New firmware v2.1.40 beta version for ZIDOO Z10 released

Thanks again.

Edit: @Markswift2003: The Zidoo Z10 has a great picture and the sound quality is much better than the X10. In fact, with the TW9300 it only gets 8 bits 4:4:4, but the image is very good or even better than Z10. I'm sure that it will performance greater with the TW9400!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  13. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

All DVD and BD sources are 8-bits with very exceptional BD´s at 12-bit only (no regular movies). UHD 4K is 10-bit.

14. nikparf

nikparf New Member

Hi DaMacFunkin!

Unfortunately, there's no way to send you a message, so I'll just ask my question here.

I just saw your reply to the topic I started several months ago.
    forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/no-bd-menus-crazy-wi-fi-after-reset-to-default-settings.44441/

I didn't check the topic because I lost hope that I'll ever have BD menus back because even Zidoo support didn't help me.

Answering your question: yes, I had my HDD plugged into the USB3 when I clicked on Restore Factory, but I do remember I turned it off (my HDD has a button) before clicking.

Now I understand that turning off wasn't enough.

Please tell me what I should do to solve this problem? You're my last hope.

15. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

@nikparf
    USB flashing using a ROM image file (extension is img) using the emergency procedure should bring the box back to the original state.

nikparf likes this.
  16. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

I’ve moved back to the X9S until the black screen issue gets sorted out. Its a shame as the PQ of the X9S is definitely not quite as good. I hope they get to the bottom of the problem quickly.

17. afss

afss Active Member

I had to do the same. I thought I would be moving the X9S to my bedrooom but due to the Z9S issues, I had to put it back on my main video room... It has been frustratingly quiet on the zidoo firmware side though....

x9suser likes this.
  18. x9suser

x9suser Member

I relegated my Z9S to my 1080p tv in my bedroom.

My X9S is in my Main room connected to my Samsung 4K tv.

If I could, I wouldn't mind selling or trading off my Z9S for a 2nd X9S.

19. Ovidiu Necula

Ovidiu Necula Member

Same here, I am using ATV 4K untill this issue is resolved.

20. Zigourney

Zigourney Active Member

Same here, I'm also using my X9S and stopped using the Z10 until the issue is resolved.
    The Amazon return window for my Z10 has now past, so I will probably hold on to it now for a firmware fix, and if that doesn't happen will sell it on the classifieds.