New firmware v2.1.22 version for ZIDOO X9S release

Discussion in 'X9S Official Firmware Releases' started by mirror, Jan 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franconian

Franconian Active Member

This is a common issue most people have/had, including myself. You have to switch on your receiver first and make your Zidoo the device in the chain, then if saves the 2160p. Mine is set on 2160p/24 Hz and I have no problems anymore.

2. lucabis

lucabis Member

So I have to turn on the tv on hdmi, then access x9s?

3. Franconian

Franconian Active Member

Exactly.

4. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

If you send SD resolution (480x720) or HD (1080x1920) into 4K display it will automatically present it at full screen UHD (3840 x 2160) without even asking if you want to upscale. You don't see a small image in the middle of the screen with thick black border around it unless you go out of your way and disable full screen.

The question would be if you want your player (Zidoo) or the TV to do the conversion. Typically you would want to send the original source format to the display (TV or the Projector) and let the end device handle the scaling. The last thing you want is to do up scaling in your player first and reformat it again in the TV to mach the properties of the display panel. TVs or projectors will apply a lot of image processing, color mapping, maybe some overscan if selected or non standard 4K size, frame interpolation etc. This all should be done in the last stage with scaling at the same time. There are test patterns that will show ability and precision of the upscaling device. You can download it and test the upscaling of the Zidoo vs. TV or projector. Most of the time the TV and projector will win hands down over players like Zidoo. All I want my player to do is to play the source stream in native resolution and frame rate without any ratio or resolution changes, distortion and/or skipping frames. The rest is up to the TV or projector to process.

5. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

Generally, in order to eliminate HDMI handshake issues, it is always best to turn on the display device first, then receiver, then source device last...

6. Franconian

Franconian Active Member

This sounds good, thanks for the information! Can you tell me where I can find those upscaling patterns (I looked at AVS 709 test patterns but could not find anything for upscaling).

So is it a fact that every 4K TV upscales automatically? I have an 2018 LG OLED. When I set the Zidoo to 1080p for example, I get the usual notification in the left TV corner that says 1080p and the hz when playing a movie. When I press the Zidoo info button, it says 1080p input and 1080p output too. How can I know that the TV really upscales?

7. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

Yes. The TV has a native 4K resolution panel.. .any other resolution that it is fed will be scaled to display at that resolution.

8. lucabis

lucabis Member

So if I leave on the 1080p zidoo the TV automatically upscale at 4k?

9. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Yes, in today's TV's you can't even turn it off ;)
    In the old days of CRT computer monitors you had something called multi-sync. The CRT monitor with electron beam would adjust the scanning pattern to map 640x480 to full screen or 1024x768 and above ;) It was done inside the monitor as function of how tight the horizontal sweep lines were and how fast it would sweep.

Once the LCD fixed resolution panels come to the market the digital scaler/converters had to evolve.

Basic info article:
    https://www.techradar.com/news/4k-u...ou-need-to-know-about-how-tvs-turn-hd-into-4k

Resolution info from Wikipedia:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

Trust me, you want the original source resolution and refresh rate video send to your TV and let the TV handle scaling.
    When you see 1080p in Zidoo info and the TV reports the same (source signal) but you get full screen - this is up converting by the TV. You can't get full screen on 4K panel with 1080p source without up converting.

10. lucabis

lucabis Member

Perfect then I will leave 1080p on the zidoo. But a curiosity but if on the zidoo I put 2160p the TV performs another upscaler?

11. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

It will very by the TV and how it is set up. If your TV panel is exactly 2160x3840 and you don't have overscan on and set for "Just Scan Pixels", game mode on etc on it shouldn't do any scaling. Look for some single pixel test patterns 4K. If everything is OK you will see black and white pixels or lines. Any scaling will produce Moire patterns or gray areas.

I checked on my TV this morning and I can't get raw 1080p to display on my TV in the middle of the screen at all ;) It will always zoom it full screen. There are adjustments for aspect ratios but non to take the scaller off line. However TV will produce untouched 4K pixel by pixel mapped image if put in specific mode (game mode is one of them). I can display perfect 3D image generated on the computer at 4K with interleaved lines by eye perfectly matching polarized lines of the TV :) TV will not be in 3D mode and displaying perfect 3D, pixel mapping one for one at it's best :)

12. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Anyway, this is a Zidoo forum about latest finally good firmware. There was a request to Zidoo to make auto resolution and refresh rate switch in the early days of this player. Use is and enjoy it now. Not all players can do auto resolution and frame rate based on the source.

13. Tukker

Tukker Member

Refresh rate for 1080p 25fps is still not ok.
    Should be 50 for smooth playback, but ouput remains 25.
    Result is like a stroboscoop.
    Internal utf8 srt is also still a mess with strange karacters
    at the end of the line.

But for now this is the best firmware.

14. razvan.toth

razvan.toth New Member

In my case, a LG 55ug870v 4K display, the zidoo box is making a good job upscaling to 4K. I tried both ways, but I preffer the boxes algorithm.

15. godalmighty

godalmighty Active Member

i by accidentally solved my problem
    before that my 4k contents with audio passthrough with HDMI got skipping
    after i use HDR to SDR feature, even after i shutdown device, the audio did not skipping again

16. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I would hardly call that a solution: if a TV supports HDR that is what should work. HDR to SDR is only to be used for back-level (early) 4K TV´s.

17. godalmighty

godalmighty Active Member

nope, my 4k tv support HDR
    i just in no mean anything tried that feature and by that it solved my problem :D
    for now i still set it to ON coz some of my contents are HDR

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  18. szefo

szefo Active Member

3DBuff likes this.
  19. nomai

nomai New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.