Black screen 10 bits

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by Gonzalo Bouzas, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Zigourney

Zigourney Active Member

Tried that didn't sort the issue out...made it worse, it was constantly blank screening every few seconds in the menu screen. Also tried advanced settings, ignore EDID, made no difference, made it worse.
    Also tried a whole other bunch of other settings after re-reading through the various threads and other forums, made no difference.

I've given up now, I'm not wasting my time anymore with this box (Z10), I would rather spend the time watching a movie, thank god for my working X9S :)

2. x9suser

x9suser Member

Direct to TV, Ignore EDID, still black screen.

3. xtripsnova

xtripsnova Member

Was there any firmware build that didn't have the blackscreen or the audio drop out problems? I can't remember already.

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

If I was going to test for that I'd go back to the beginning at v1.7.8 and see if that does it.

The version change from 1 to 2, although on the whole a great improvement, did seem to add a few issues so you never know...

5. Markswift2003

All Ignore EDID does is to allow a GUI resolution/refresh mode not advertised in the EDID, so shouldn't make any difference to playback (assuming match frame rate and resolution are switched on).

6. Markswift2003

Someone else on AVforums reporting intermittent black screens / resync, this time with a Denon 4400. Definitely something going on with Denons of a certain age and 4K23 10-bit 444...

7. x9suser

x9suser Member

I don't think it's Denon. For me I connect directly to Samsung KS7000 TV and the black screen occur continuously. It's not an intermittent problem.

It only happens when my TV has UHD color (10 bit) enabled and I set the Z9S resolution either manually at 4k 10/12 bit at 24hz or let it sync automatically to the movie at 4K 10/12 bit at 23.976 hz.

It will black screen for a while, then the image appears back briefly , then it's black screen again. This goes on and on continuously until you change to some other combination.

E.g
    1) Set TV UHD color to 'off' (8 bits) - no black screen, or
    2) Set your Z9S to 8 bit color - no black screen, or
    3) Set (force) your playback resolution to 1080p - no black screen, or
    4) Set (force) your playback refresh rate to 60hz - no black screen.

It's only the specific combo of 4K+10/12 bit color + 23.976/24 hz, + TV HDMI UHD color 'on' , that produces this problem.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  8. Markswift2003

Just for clarity, I had an email from Zidoo this morning to confirm that when set to 4K23 12-bit 444 the box still outputs 10-bit 444 by design, so this issue is only related to 4K23 10-bit 444 playback. We don't know how it behaves at 4K23 12-bit because the box doesn't do that.

I forget which forums I've posted in sometimes (!), but I did say yesterday on AVS that I don't think this issue is restricted to Denons, but they do seem to pop up often with this problem, so may provide clues for a resolution because they seem to be a common denominator in a lot of cases.

9. x9suser

x9suser Member

Just changing the home screen to 4k, 24 hz , 10 bit color priority or 12 bit color priority (if you like), with the TV HDMI UHD color enabled, will immediately trigger the alternating black screen. Don't even have to play a movie.

10. futeko.com

futeko.com Active Member

If you purchased the box from us then I suggest a replacement Z10. Your problem is different, and much more severe, than other users reporting occasional black screens.

The continuous and predictable black screen at 4K, even on the box menu, suggests either a hardware fault with the Z10 or a hardware fault or setup problem (like not enabling HDMI 2.0 on TV/AVR) somewhere else in your setup.

11. x9suser

x9suser Member

So many people have this problem. Just that they are not describing it in detail.

I am just giving a detailed description of what triggers the black screen so that Zidoo people can look into it .

And I have said many times, I connect straight to the TV not through any Amp. It shows you guys did not read properly as I have said this problem occur with HDMI UHD color (2.0) enabled on my KS7000 TV.

Even when I send proof of another problem, the HDR to SDR color posterisation problem, Zidoo deny and suggest to install the Beta FW, which they claim already solve it. This is not true as another user Markswift2003 confirms the problem is still there at FW 2.1.40.

If they continue to be in denial of the problems, then it's their loss.

I see you are from Futeko. Have Zidoo given you the marketing and development duties to market their Z9S. If so maybe you can check with Zidoo's development team for the X9S which have none of these problems. They may be able to assist your team on the Z9S.

You should also invest in a full 10 bit color Panel and test this problem, not 8 bit panel with 10 bit compatibility.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    gymnos likes this.
  12. Markswift2003

They are certainly not in denial, I've had a few conversations them over the last couple of days and they are definitely looking into both issues, but since the 10-bit thing is a specific hardware compatibility issue and most setups work just fine, it's difficult to replicate. Once they've replicated it, they'll nail it.

The panel bit depth is irrelevant, it's the compatibility between the back end of the zidoo and the front end of the TV/receiver that's important (assuming HDMI 2.* of course)

13. x9suser

x9suser Member

Ok, good to know. As long as they are looking into it, we are in good hands.

Don't know about the others, but Samsung models normally have the HDMI ports in a separate box outside the panel unit. Wonder if this has anything to do with it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  14. xtripsnova

xtripsnova Member

If you say they are looking into it so let's refresh their memory about the variety of platforms on which the problem do occur.
    I will present my own experience and I invite you to do the same with yours.
    I have blackscreens on UHD material (and also audio drop outs on DTS:X) when connected through an Anthem AVM60 pre-pro, then a Lumagen Radiance Pro, then a Sony VPL-VW550ES. But this happens also if I remove the Anthem from the chain, or the Lumagen, or both and connect straight to the projector.
    It also happens when I connect the Z9S straight to an LG 4k HDR led panel.
    I also tried all the settings and permutations, 420, 422. 444 when possible. Bit depth. HDMI raw or not for the DTS:X problem.
    In brief, the Z9S is barely used in my bedroom. I use an eGreat A5 instead for the moment and that's too bad because the eGreat does not do Auto-Resolution or does not go higher than 422.

15. Emphyrio

Emphyrio Member

My experience is black screen with 4k24p 10 bit 4:4:4 through yamaha rx-v485, or direct link to my Epson EH-TW9400. i tried few hdmi 2.0 or 2.1 one meter cable, now i'm with hdmi optical.
    HDR black nearly all the time, non HDR every 30s
    Black screen appended few time also just with zidoo interface and not playing movies
    the only 4k configuration that work is 4k60p and then my epson tell zidoo to be 4:2:0
    To be notice, i had few black screen with a 1080p/24 4:4:4 12 bit, a 50mn tv show (4 GB) but only the first few mn). Component have to warm up ?)(haha)
    Hope this is not a QA problems

gymnos likes this.
  16. Bob.Dxb

Bob.Dxb New Member

I recently got my Z9S, as an upgrade to my Minix U9-H that consistently dropped playback then just bricked on me after a few hours of trying to play 4K files from my NAS. Anyway, the Z9S is a pleasant move and after updating to the latest beta 2.1.40 everything was fine until I played a certain 4K file, Legend of The Eight Samurai and I experienced the Black Screen every minute or two. However, after some setting combinations between my Z9S and Denon X3500H AVR, the problem is gone!

Here is my setup for reference:

Samsung TV UA65KU7350K
    Denon X3500H AVR
    QED Performance Premium Certified 4K HDMI Cable
    Z9S
    Synology DS218+ NAS
    County's power is 230v 50hz

Z9S Settings-
    Frame rate mode: OFF
    HDMI mode: 3840x2160P 50hz (country power cycle)
    Color settings: All on AUTO
    HDR: AUTO

Denon X3500H settings-
    Video mode: Movie
    Video conversion: ON
    Resolution HDMI: 4K
    (Do not select 4K 50hz/60hz)
    Sharpness: OFF
    Progressive mode: AUTO

I've taken screen shots to show my exact settings.

For the dreaded Green Screen with reboot when trying to play The Amazing Spider Man 4K, same settings as above but turned off HDR / Disable HDR! And it played flawlessly!

I hope this helps out some of you who experience this issue.

I am so glad to have purchased the Z9S after 2 years with a Minix U1, then purchased the U9-H after upgrading to 4K TV and AVR, but Minix failed me with 4K over LAN. The overall quality and the GUI of Zidoo is really impressive, and "Home Theater" is first class making indexing a breeze. Gave new life to my collection
    IMG_20190304_014356.jpg IMG_20190304_014517.jpg IMG_20190304_014552.jpg IMG_20190304_014608.jpg IMG_20190304_020112.jpg IMG_20190304_021749.jpg

17. x9suser

x9suser Member

Please read back a few posts about how the black screen triggers.

For your case of course you don't have the black screen now because you are fixing your refresh rate at 50 hz by turning frame rate syncing off and setting your frame rate manually at 50 hz. For your info most movies are encoded at 24hz.

As I have said in the past the black screen only happens at this specific situation :-
    4k res + 24 hz (23.976) + 10 bit/12 bit color + TV HDMI set at UHD color (10 bit).

Take any one of the above component combo out of the equation ( like setting refresh at 50 hz or 60 hz) and there is no black screen.

E.g

Fix your refresh rate at other than 24 hz (23.976) and there is no black screen.

Fix your color at 8 bits and there is no black screen.

Fix your resolution at 1080p and there is no black screen.

Turn off your TV UHD color mode and there is no black screen.

You can read back a couple of posts about what I said about how the black screen appears at only a very specific combination.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    Zigourney likes this.
  18. Bob.Dxb

Bob.Dxb New Member

Refresh rate,or anti flicker, is about matching it to your country's power supply cycle rate, and your other equipment's refresh rate. If you live in North America and some Asian countries it would be 60hz. Europe, UK, ME, SG, etc are at 50hz.
    Yes most movies you get may be at 24hz, but your other front-end equipment like AVR or TV are operating at your country's cycle rate, hence the Z9S has match that rate for a proper "handshake".
    By fixing the setting of your Z9S to 24hz, it can't match your front end, hence the black screen. So why insist on a setting that gives you problems ?

19. x9suser

x9suser Member

No one's debating or forcing you what refresh rate to set.

This topic is about providing info to Zidoo team to help solve the black screen issue.

20. Bob.Dxb

Bob.Dxb New Member

Well from reading this thread, some users are giving up on their Z9S units for a problem that is solvable! That is why I replied with my experience.