Z10 Constant Blank Screen Issues

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z10' started by Zigourney, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Zigourney

Zigourney Active Member

Hi - I have the Z10 and X9S and also had the Z9S.

Both the Z10 and the Z9S have constant blank screen issues.
    The Z9s is worse than the Z10 for blank screens issues and I had to return the Z9S for a refund.

Is anyone else having this blank screen issue on the Z10?
    I know this is a firmware issue as I also have the X9S and I don't have any blank screen issues on my X9S.

I thought I would create this thread to get the attention of the Zidoo tech guys.

gymnos likes this.
  2. Ovidiu Necula

Ovidiu Necula Member

Hi,
    Same here, I own Z10 and I have had X9S in the past. The last one was superb but Z10... is too buggy.
    Last night I tried to watch an 4k h265 movie but constant black screens every 15-30seconds.
    I have factory default Z10 and select on Deep Space Color, Priority 8bit and I watched the whole movie without any black screen. Before factory default, the deep space color was on Auto.
    I put the settings back to Auto mode and no issues with the same movie. What the heck?

Definitely an issue in the software.

3. DIKKE

DIKKE Active Member

The 8 bit setting was the solution here?

4. Zigourney

Zigourney Active Member

I didnt try the 8bit setting, but tried 10bit and auto only. Both did not work for me.
    It got annoyed and I packed it back in the box and am using the X9S again, I am hoping Zidoo fix it via a new firmware soon.

I will get the z10 back out the box again at some point this weekend and try the 8bit setting to see if it works or not.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  5. Ovidiu Necula

Ovidiu Necula Member

I am not sure. Before reset it was on auto and after it was on 8 bit by default. I left it 8bit and watched the whole movie without issues. Now, is back on Auto setting and no black screens after 30 minutes of watching the same video. I guess the fix was the reset to factory settings, at least temporary. Along with that, I have the issue with missing signal on tv from Z10 after standby resume. I have to shut it down and start it again in order to have image back on tv. It happens almost every time, no matter the version on firmware was installed. Pretty annoying...

I have also an Apple 4k Tv and no issues whatsoever including hdmi cec.

6. Zigourney

Zigourney Active Member

I also have an APTV4K with infuse pro and everything works perfectly on that, including the HDMI-CEC function. The one feature missing on the Apple TV 4K is Atmos and DTS-X playback on local files.
    Did you just do the factory reset option from the quick setting menu? or a different method?

I need to try that and see if it makes a difference.

7. Ovidiu Necula

Ovidiu Necula Member

From the quick settings.
    That's why I bought z10, for dts x and Dolby atmos offline. Both player are passthrough soundbar sony ht-z9f with rear wireless kit.

8. Zigourney

Zigourney Active Member

Exactly the same reason why I bought the Zidoo players!
    From the 3 players that I bought I prefer the design of the Z10, I like the size and the larger screen on it as the Z10 looks better in my media cabinet than the smaller X9S/Z9S.
    I do not need the internal hard drive space of the Z10 as all my media is stored on a Synology NAS and is streamed via cat6 gigabit network.

Lets see what happens, I will hold on to the Z10 for a little longer and see if the stability improves in the next couple of firmware releases.
    If it doesn't get fixed soon I will get rid of the Z10 and stick to the X9S which is working great minus the hdmi cec issues.

9. Ovidiu Necula

Ovidiu Necula Member

Surely Zidoo could fix the black screen issues in future release. Not sure about hdmi cec issues where the problem applies almost all media players out there with Android preinstalled. ATV has proprietary linux installed, same for Vero+ and all linux based mediaplayers have no issues with hdmi cec.

I have also a synology nas and gigabit network, I like the look of Z10 like you and I don't use internal hard drive at all :)

Zigourney likes this.
  10. Zigourney

Zigourney Active Member

I tried the factory reset and the 8bit setting as well as the auto setting and it didn’t work for me, still I got the random blank screen issue

Also someone else said try leaving everything on auto and change the range only to 16-235 but that didn’t work either. I just spent the last two hours trying different combination of settings after I did a factory reset but nothing has worked, still getting blank screen issues.

I’ve given up now, going to unplug the Z10 and plug the X9S back in and use that for now. Will wait for the next firmware update for the Z10.

One thing for sure I will not be updating the firmware on my X9S anymore because that’s working as it should lol

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  11. Miguel Ramos

Miguel Ramos Active Member

Returning back Z10 and keep my old X10. No issues with this one...

Zigourney likes this.
  12. Miguel Ramos

Can anyone confirm if the latest firmware solved this issue?

13. Ovidiu Necula

Ovidiu Necula Member

I have installed it and tried some 4k movies and no issues. anyway, it's too early to tell.

14. Miguel Ramos

You've tried with the new firmware v2.2.56 beta version? Did you test several 4K video files with 10 bits 4:4:4? I'm ordering a Z10 again...

15. Ovidiu Necula

Ovidiu Necula Member

Yes, with firmware v2.2.56. Like I said, it's too early. This weekend I would like to watch several 4k movies and come back with a final verdict ;)

gymnos and Zigourney like this.
  16. Miguel Ramos

Thanks a lot for your message. I've ordered it again from amazon that will arrive next monday. Last time i've returned the Z10 within the trial period). I have the X10 that works flawlessly with my TW9400 and I'll keep it for a while. The sound quality of the Z10 vs X10 is better in terms of "clarity" and channel separation. In terms of image it's very similar. Please say something during the weekend. :)

17. Zigourney

Zigourney Active Member

I have also installed 2.2.56 but haven't tested it extensively yet. Will watch a couple of 4k movies this weekend and report back.
    So you think the Z10 is better in terms of sound quality over the X10? Is it really a noticeable difference?

I haven't noticed any difference in the sound or picture quality between my X9S and the Z10, but saying that, I haven't been able to watch a film properly on the Z10 due to the blank screen issue, so I will keep an eye out for any difference too. The only slight difference I have noticed between the x9s and the z10 is that the z10 is slighter faster.

18. Miguel Ramos

Better sound for sure. I had both, side by side, connected to my Pioneer receiver and the Z10 sounded better: a more crystal sound and channel split. Indeed the Z10 is faster than the X10, not a very big difference, but the Z10 setting are more complete. I was not able to properly compare the picture quality as the constant image blanc were very annoying avoiding any concentration in the viewing. Anyway, at a first sight, I couldn't see a big difference. Meanwhile I've return the Z10 and now I've ordered it again to test with the new firmware and the 10/12 bits 4:4:4 colour settings to check if the blanc screen is solved.

Zigourney likes this.
  19. Zigourney

Zigourney Active Member

So its been over a couple of weeks now since installing firmware 2.2.56 on my Z10, and I think I am now ready to conclude that the famous "Black Screen" issues have now been resolved for me in this firmware.

gymnos and Miguel Ramos like this.
  20. Miguel Ramos

Totally agree with you!