No HDR output

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X20' started by DarkCinema, Sep 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DarkCinema

DarkCinema Member

I am trying to get HDR working. Does HDR actual work for you guys?

The Zidoo X20 is connected to a Marantz 7009 receiver (using the main HDMI with video/audio output) and the receiver to an Epson 6040UB. When playing a HDR 4K movie the Epson never receives a HDR signal from the X20.

I tried all possible settings I can tink off.
    BTW: Current setting is 4K@29.97 w/10-bit 4:2:2 on the X20. In this mode the Epson says 12-bit 4:2:2 with this setting.

2. Sarco

Sarco Active Member Beta test group

Wait, on X20 you should have HDMI sound out, plug you TV direcly to HDMI 2.0 and your receiver with HDMI audio. I don't know if there is a settings in X20 I do not have one.

3. DarkCinema

DarkCinema Member

I know that that is possible. You can choose that option. This is hoowever not very convenient if you have more devices connected on the receicer.
    Anyway i can try this setup and see what happens if i remove the receiver from the video path,

4. myzidoo

myzidoo Active Member Beta test group

5. Sarco

Sarco Active Member Beta test group

It is not the best setup but you have a solution if your receiver does not passthrough HDR

6. DarkCinema

DarkCinema Member

Many thanks for your answer. I did not suspect that the issue lies with the receiver. Luckily the x20 provides a workarround. I will test this tonight.

7. DarkCinema

DarkCinema Member

Connecting the X20 HDMI Mian directly to the Epson's HDMI 2.0 interface (HDMI1) and the second HDMI out to the Receiver works great.

However I run into an issue when I connect the HDMI out of the receiver to the second HDMI 1.4 interface on the Epson (HDMI2) . When I select HDMI1 as source on the Epson and the X20 for audio input on the Receiver, I see the picture of the X20 but it blacks out and on etc.
    First I thought this has someting to do with HDMI CEC, so I disabled that on the Epson and Receiever, but unfortunatly that did not help. Even turning off any HDMI stuff like lip sync etc. on the Receiver did not help.

So I think I might run into some kind of ground loop? Any ideas?

If I can't connect the Marantz to the HDMI2 input on the Epson, I can't use the ChromeCast 4K and other devices connected on the reciver. The only thing, I can think of that could function as a workarround, is using another HDMI switch (that supports HDR). Still cheaper that replacing my Receiver....

Attached Files:

8. myzidoo

That sounds more like a handshake issue which might be induced by the parallel cabling on your epson ie. HDCP 2.2 requirements on HDMI 1 (2.2.) and the HDMI 2 (1.4). Marantz had a very erratic way to implement it and had compatibility issues. The HDCP induced handshaking was repeating and made other devices have this on and off pattern when different HDMI/HDCP versions where connected together (even if not active). I had an exact same issue between a Marantz AV8802 and an LG OLED signature.
    Adding additional HDMI switches is always a hit or miss as you never really know if it works. What you could do is use a spatz HDMIfix to get a grip on the handshaking issue.
    But as you have the 4KChromeCast on your receiver which passes the 4K (but not the HDR) you'll anyway be "frustrated" if the receiver (and everything connected to it) feeds your epson on the HDMI 1.4 input. (4K will be max 30fps) as the HDMI1 is being taken by the X20.

You're the perfect example of why one would use the HDMI IN on the Zidoo as you could connect the Chromecast there (the X20 would then play the role of switch) but I don't know if/how the HDMI in has been implemented on the X20 and ave never tried it out.

Now that we have reached some new climax of latest nitty picky formats (unless 8K comes in) I would bite the bullet an go for a new receiver. Take into consideration that in the last 2-3 years you'll find receivers using better hardware than your 7009 at a lesser price having all latest video formats onboard.
    That's the blast with AV receivers ...they cost a good load of money but are getting obsolete on the format front at the speed of computers. Ask the McIntosh MX121 owners they can sing a song about it...
    Just my 5 cents

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  9. DarkCinema

DarkCinema Member

Thanks for your 5 cents. Since I can’t effort a new 11.2 Receiver right now (just bought an expensive media player) I ordered a HDMI switch instead. Let’s see how that goes. I find the spatz HDMIfix too expensive.
    The Marantz 7009 is my 8th or 9th receiver (lost count) and at the time I thought this one was future proof for some years…wrong… “they” will always think of something new. Also, at the time I was not really into 4K yet.

10. myzidoo

Oh i know that feeling:(

11. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I just got my 4th receiver. :( Always buy last years model if there is no real new standard I need included with the most recent one.

As I buy relative cheap Onkyo 7.2 receivers and try to trade-in/sell the old unit it is just affordable (about € 100,-/year). Last week got me the Onkyo TX-RZ720 receiver (+Atmos/DTS-X + 4K + HDR10/DV/HLG) replacing my Onkyo TX-NR609 which combines again all essential features/standards needed. It really sounds better than the previous model and is more user friendly too. A good upgrade after all. ;)

The next problem may become 4K-3D (without needing glasses), HDR10+ and other HDMI2.1 related standards. Nothing in my price window around supporting these today.
    I am sure 8K TV sets will come as these can be made technically but how useful that really is? Simply no real source studio/movie material for it even having a projector won't make much of a difference.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018