New firmware v2.0.5 version(beta) for ZIDOO X9S release

Discussion in 'X9S Official Firmware Releases' started by mirror, Jan 24, 2018.

1. godalmighty

godalmighty Active Member

yesterday i played Justice League, 1080p HEVC 10bit 23.976fps from PSA
    i set like @wesk05 told to me to get the best output, 1080p 12-bit YCbCr 4:2:2
    and it stutter bad and the banding is worst :(
    then i set to 1080p 12bit YCbCr 4:4:4 and everything play smooth again and the banding is gone

2. wesk05

wesk05 Member Beta test group

That's interesting. 1080p 12-bit YCbCr 4:2:2 is the only mode that has correct output refresh rate. If you are seeing stutters with that mode, I am not sure how I can explain it. As for banding, I believe it is a display processing related problem. I base my opinion on the fact that when analyzing the HDMI outputs for video quality measurements, there is no perceptible difference between the different modes.

3. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

I dont think you will ever get a stable firmware that works properly
    There will be something you will find wrong eventually :(
    Many ditch the Zidoo and come back when they learn it can do a,b,c that a previous box struggles with that they own
    Only to find out another issues rises up on the zidoo when they re buy .

The X20 Pro are the same as the Dune but both delayed with software issues ......
    A lot of money to pay for unless has Android 7.1 and poss poss Dolby Vision .
    Then will be worth it if price is not mega bucks .
    Id imagine Zidoo version should be cheaper .

Just wondered if many dont see as much stutter if Movies are stored via hard drive as elliminating another product in the chain of things ?
    ( streaming adds another problem in the chain of things ) ?

Less is more .
    As well as diff tv processing the output .

4. DELUCAS

Mkv 1080p 10 bit Ycbr 4:2:2 using a Plasma Monitor no stutters
    Ssd internally stored movies .

Cowboys & Aliens is a good one to test as pans Horizontaly for a while opening sequence .

5. litlgi74

litlgi74 Member

I have quite the collection of 1:1 (DVD, BD, UHD) rips... 1000s actually, served from a 120TB media server streamed to a Dune in every room of my home on a gigabit network... Until the Zidoo, I haven't experienced and stuttering (unless there was a network problem) or color banding issues. One of the great things about the Dune players... they will actually show you, in real time, how many frame drops are happening... Zero!

My Dunes have worked flawlessly on my Pioneer KRP-500, Panasonic ZT60, new LG OLED as well as other lesser quality displays... but only for up to 1080p. I didn't get the Dune Solo 4K because of it HDMI 1.4 limiting factor. I new eventually they would come out with a complete 4K option... but until then, I hoped the X9s would fill in the gap.

My wife even notices both the color banding as well frame drops or skips as she calls them.

Time will tell.

PS... Dolby Vision would be awesome... though I am not sure there is a way to capture it from the source disk at this time.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  6. grigione

grigione New Member

hello,when will come out a new official release??

7. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

8. DELUCAS

I too have a Pioneer 500m 9 years plus and still looks awesome with a quality feed going in .
    Zidoo need to go Android 7.1 for Audio reasons and if it goes Dolby Vision
    But doubt it will as cost will sky rocket and will req long term testing by Dolby !
    And cost time etc
    Be better with say a new Zidoo X10 Pro DD ......
    And to enable it people would pay extra via a google app download so we have a choice ?

But in the meant time some issues in 4 K need addresing that some are seeing .
    I always seem to see Banding on mine it varys on the bit rate and what version you get / do etc
    Some i see some i dont it varys .

9. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

The player offers DVD playback with menus, therefore I expect it to work correctly. It does not. If it wasn't meant to play DVDs then it wouldn't.

Also, 4:3 DVD PAL and NTSC remuxes also play in the wrong aspect ratio. I have no idea why, because many other file types in various aspect ratios played in the correct aspect ratio, including 1080 4:3 blu-ray rips.

Part of future-proofing means being able to play my existing library. I'm not going to dump all my DVDs just because there are better formats. Tons of my DVD content will never be released on another format. Any "future-proofed" player should be able to handle something as basic as DVD playback.

10. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

Because there is no stable firmware for this player imo.

11. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

I think it might help at this point if we can come up with some kind of chart that lists the actual frame rate outputs by this player in the various color space modes/resolutions/bit depths, so we can have that to refer to. I don't have the equipment to check for actual frame rate output. That way we would know which modes should be used and which to be avoided.

I also think there's some confusion over which color spaces to use for certain file types. HDMI 2.0 restrictions only allow certain combinations of resolutions/color spaces/bit depths. So it may be the player is forcing the next compliant setting when trying to force an incompatible setting (say trying to play 4k 24Hz@YCbCr 422 10bit, which isn't supported by HDMI 2.0. For instance, what happens if we set output to YCbCr 422 10bit and try to play a 4k 24Hz file? Does the Zidoo break spec and play it in that output anyways, or does it force 444 or 12bit in that case? 444 12bit seems to have the greatest support for all frame rates/resolutions, but 12bit is too much for some TVs to process, due to large amount of data, even though most of it is empty data.

Then you factor in the fact that the player isn't putting out correct frame rates for all modes, and it's very confusing to even know what to use for playback. It may be that one mode is better for 480p/1080p and another is better for UHD.

I guess it doesn't matter much to me anyways. I only have my x10 a few more days before I can't return it and I will not be stuck with this player. I barely used it since I got it since I realized right away it has all the same issues as the x9s. I'm frankly disgusted that in the 2 months I've had these players, Zidoo couldn't be bothered to even once come in here and give us any feedback or information on whether these issues can or will be fixed. Their silence will cost them this customer.

12. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

I was trying to play a few jpegs/pngs on the player last night to compare screenshots on my TV, and image playback is a mess on this player.

Upon clicking an image file, the following appears in the bottom-right corner:

[Menu] Show Menu Dialog
    [ <- ] Last Imager
    [ >- ] Next Image

This is a great example of the sloppiness of the interface of this player in general. It should read:

[Menu] Show Menu Dialogue
    [ <- ] Previous Image (not Last Imager, which is both misspelled and confusing, since you want the previous image, not the last one)
    [ >- ] Next Image

There is no zoom function whatsoever.
    My $99 WDTV player has zoom in the image viewer, and so does my Mede8er and TV's built-in player.

There is no way to view the image in the original size, to allow for panning and scrolling across the image to view the details of the image. The only way to select image size at all is by starting a slideshow and selecting the slideshow menu options, and then you have a choice of "Original" or "Full Screen". Neither make sense:

- "Original" actually fits it to the screen, so it should be called "fit to screen". It is not the original size.
    - "Full Screen" greatly enlarges the image to fill the screen on all sides, causing major pixellation due to the huge amount of zooming.

Both my WDTV Live and the Mede8er (and my TV's image viewer) allows viewing in original size.

- When in slideshow mode, you can't just hit the arrow buttons to force the next or previous images. I can in the WDTV Live and Mede8er players. I can start a slideshow, but any time I want to skip the current picture, I can, and the slideshow continues from there.

So even something as basic as the image viewer is totally wrong in how it's implemented. Now I'll wait for someone to say it wasn't meant to play images.

I could never use this player's image viewer due to how sloppy it's implemented.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  13. godalmighty

it make me crazy man, i dont know how to explain it
    i try it again with the same setting YCbCr4:2:2 12bit 1080p24Hz, and now without the auto switch the frame rate, it runs pretty smooth, less stutter
    before that i just set it to YCbCr4:2:0 10bit 2160p60Hz, run pretty smooth but with a liitle stutter if i have to focus it
    but when i set it back to your preference, now it run smooth like the stutter get decreased itself

now i set it to 2160p60Hz YCbCr4:2:0 10bit, and shut down a while and do more test then
    before that i was set in 2160p24Hz and when the first boot, my tv cannot detect any signal from the box but it succesfully boot, even i tried to reboot it, still cannot detect any signal
    i have to unplug the hdmi cable and plug in it back to get signal for my tv
    with 1080p24Hz never have this issue

EDITED:
    damnnn..it really confuse me
    after 25minutes shut off, i tried again, in 2160p60Hz YCbCr4:2:0 10bit, and the movie play pretty smooth even without the auto switch On but still a little bit stutter if i looked very intens
    is this what we call unstable
    now i just let the setting like that, and have put the auto switch for frame rate only ON
    something wrong with my eyes, how come now my eyes can easily notice a stutter

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  14. gsaronni

gsaronni New Member

Does it continue being a beta FW?

I tested it two weeks ago and it was full of bugs, so I still use the 1.5 FW

If it is running OK will do the update

15. godalmighty

what kind a bug do you suffered?

16. thrang

thrang Member

No better place to put this, so...

Installed 2.0.13 yesterday, found by rummaging around this forum, and it’s a nice update.

- banding eliminates (short of what’s in the source)
    - microstutter for 4K UHD playback eliminated
    - “calmer” picture

They still don’t give the option to ignore “the”, “a”, and “and” from storing which is very unfortunate.

There is an option in the playback settings to not use the last play position bookmark (so a half watched title still starts from the beginning) but this does not seem to work

Certain titles have tags in can remove or apple - 3:10 to Yuma Blu Ray will not let me save the Blu Ray badge (says “check url”) other titles have both Blu Ray and 4K and de-selecting Blu Ray and saving indicates “success” but the Blu Ray badge is never removed.

This double badging is happening to all 4K rips, which do include -4k in the title (Blade Runner -4K.iso)

17. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

Since there doesn't seem to be any unofficial 2.0.13 version available anywhere for the x10, I can't try it on my x10, to see if solves at least some of the issues I have been having. I have to make a decision in the next 1-2 days on if I'm keeping my x10 or sending it back. I have heard nothing from Zidoo in this forum addressing any of the concerns many of us have made in here and elsewhere in the forum. They are about to lose a customer due to their silence. All I wanted is for them to keep us updated on what they're working on for fixes. Their silence tells me they don't care. It's a shame because maybe they are indeed working on some of these issues. But I can't take the chance on keeping the payer and hoping they are working on things. And this player has been out for a long time now. That it still suffers from so many issues, bugs, quirks, and general sloppiness, I have serious doubts that they will iron them out. With the new player coming soon, they will be focusing on that. Communication with customers is important. Sadly, that seems lost on companies these days. With a small company like this, it's even more important to have direct communication with their customers in a forum like this. There's a very small percentage of people interested in these players. They are turning people away by being silent on these issues.

18. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

ursiel likes this.
  19. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

you're lucky because I still have banding with 10bit and stuttering with UHD,

i tried with the .13 on the x9s and .15 on the x10

it seems that these are FW that improves / fix somes features of the HT 2.0

20. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

Not sure where you found it, but thanks!

Though it sounds like you didn't notice any improvement in 10bit banding in your setup, which is the reason I was considering giving this a shot as a last ditch attempt to see if they were fixing anything important.