Network Shares and Zidoo X8-X9s-X10

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1295)' started by B.A. Derks, Sep 16, 2017.

1. B.A. Derks

B.A. Derks New Member

@zidoo
    As you probably already know, the upcoming Windows Fall Creators Update will, for security reasons, remove the support of Samba's SMB v1 protocol in Windows 10.

I do not know whether the support of SMB v1 will be physically removed from Windows 10 or that it stays possible to activate the SMB v1 protocol by a register hack.
    I have noticed that the Zidoo file manager (Media Center) can only handle network shares from Samba servers that actively support the SMB v1 protocol like the current version of Windows 10 and older versions of LibreElec.

I have a TV server running LibreElec 8.1.1. and unless activating the SMB v1 protocol explicitly for LibreElec’s Samba server, the Zidoo file manager is not able to access my TV recordings which are stored on my TV server. However, since I upgraded my TV server to LibreElec 8.1.1, I have a problem playing running TV recordings with the Zidoo video player. Playing running TV recordings do not play anymore beyond the position of the recording at the moment the playing started. Before I upgraded my TV server to LibreElec 8.1.1, I was able to play running recordings with the Zidoo video player without any problems to the final end of the running recoding. Luckily, I can still use the Kodi 17.4 video player which still does not have any problems playing running recordings to the final end of the recordings.
    As I like using the Zidoo video player much more than using the Kodi video player, I hope the Zidoo team will be able to mend the ability of playing running recordings to the final end of the recordings. You could just study the source code of Kodi 17.4 to see how they implemented supporting running recordings (open shared network (file) streams) in their video player.

I really hope the Zidoo team is able to support SMB v2, or even better SMB v3, in the Zidoo file manager (Media Center) in time for the upcoming Windows Fall Creators Update.

TIA
    Baderks

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    nikos_a likes this.
  2. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

I don't know if Zidoo employees read this thread, anyway I put a +1 to your request, as I already requested the same, but (a real pity! ) received no answer, neither a "no" or "sorry, not possible".

3. nikos_a

nikos_a Active Member

+1 from me for this.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  4. zacthecat

zacthecat New Member

+1 This has already killed SMB connection to windows based computer

5. mirror

mirror Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Zidoo TECH Supporter

will check it

nikos_a likes this.
  6. PacoRabanne

mirror, nice to have a feedback from you!
    Please, keep us informed!

7. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

i don't know if they removed it or not , did not have time to actual check, but so far with windows insider build R3 samba still works just fine, R4 should hit soon, if something breaks i will be the first to scream :p way before windows update gets to public

8. Mikssa

Mikssa New Member

Thanks for you nice post to teach us more in this topic.

9. astons2

astons2 New Member

Recently I installed Windows 10 Creators Update 1709, build 16299.64 and I can NOT access network drives on zidoo any more in the same time I can still access zidoo drives with other PC which have Windows 7. So I guess SMB v1 protocol is removed on Windows 10 Creators Update.

Any solution about this problem?

10. PacoRabanne

I have upgraded my PC to W10 1709 some time ago, I had SMB V1 enabled before and luckily is still active after and now.
    Could you try to check if is still possible to reenable it?

Else you must insist with Zidoo to finally add support for at least SMB v2 protocol.
    Already asked, with no answer at all (as usual, is a real pity!).

11. mirror

mirror Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Zidoo TECH Supporter

We are checking about samba V2,Thanks.

PacoRabanne likes this.
  12. astons2

astons2 New Member

Before I run into Windows 10 problems I had W10 version 1703 where I did NOT had any problems with Zidoo, all worked fine. I have Windows 10 Enterprise version 1703 and now 1709. Beside Zidoo I also have E2 satellite box and I could not connect drives also after Windows 10 upgrade to 1709. So after intensive googling I found solution for my problem's.

In my case after Windows 10 Creators Update 1709, build 16299.64 SMBv1 protocol was enabled but that was not enough to make network drives on Zidoo or my satellite box to work. I needed change some settings in Windows 10 Local Group Policy.

You need to RUN "gpedit.msc" to access "Local Group Policy Editor" and find there "Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Network->Lanman Workstation" and there you need to enable "Enable insecure guest logons".

In Windows 10 "Option Features" make sure that "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" is Enabled.

So there is solution until Zidoo implement SMBv2 protocol.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    mirror likes this.
  13. astons2

astons2 New Member

Please do not remove samba V1, removing it could lead to problems with other boxes or devices.

14. PacoRabanne

Thanks a lot!
    Of course, please add SMB V2 support without removing SMB V1.
    In a SMB client there aren't valid reasons to remove even old protocols support, in fact (AFAIK) Microsoft is removing SMB V1 support in Windows share service, not in SMB client.

TNX!!!

15. SaskMedia

SaskMedia Member

Android smb client just added support for smb2 and 3 this past summer.

The other alternative is to run NFS.

16. Coruja3D

Coruja3D New Member

I hope this helps others who struggled getting the Zidoo to see shared folders on their Windows 10 PC. It has been a journey of some frustration for me but finally I have got there! :) Sorry if there is a better place on the forum for this, as this is my first post and I am still finding my way around.

• Firstly, for those who are complete networking newbies like me, and have no idea what a network protocol is, the Zidoo option to choose "SMB" (to add network content in the Media Centre) refers to the Server Message Block (SMB) Protocol which is a network file sharing protocol.
    • There are various flavours of this - 1, 2, 3 and maybe more. AKA "SMBv1", "SMBv2"...etc
    • Zidoo uses v1 (at least Zidoo MC does)
    • This may be disabled in Win 10 depending on its version and update history.
    OK, so now we are getting somewhere - now I know what the heck "SMB" means, now I just need to figure out how to a) share folders on my PC and b) enable SMB v1. Here's how I managed it:

1. Turn on all SMBv1 options in Control Panel > Programs & Features > Turn Windows Features on and off (see attached picture) - tick all the "SMB 1.0" options on.
    2. Share folders on the PC via - open folder properties and click the [Share...] button on the Sharing tab (see picture)
    3. Really important! Add the "Guest" account. This already exists (at least it did on my PC). I did not find this step in any online articles I found on getting this darn thing working (see pictures). You won't find this "Guest" account in Control Panel > User Accounts by the way - at least I couldn't.
    4. Turn OFF password protected sharing in Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings (see picture). Maybe there is a way to get it working with password protected sharing on, but I did not manage it.
    Now go back to your Zidoo, select SMB. Your PC should appear. With heart in mouth and with fingers crossed, try and open it, then a shared folder...you're in! No password required pop up. Now, finally, you can add content and start enjoying your Zidoo - X9S in my case, and I sure am. :) Hope this is helpful to some folks out there embarking on a network sharing journey.:confused: Add Guest account to share.PNG Add Guest account to share2.PNG Enable SMB1 Win10.PNG Turn off password required 2.PNG Turn off password required.PNG

Akeela and Jeomite like this.
  17. BigWInnie

BigWInnie New Member

Hi Coruja3D!

I have also the problem accessing my PC sharing since the last big Win 10 Spring update. In the media library, SMB, user name and password is needed. I did the same you have done and I am a little bit closer because now a lot of things appeared in SMB and my PC is twice. I don't know why. When I am trying to access on of them, user name/pasw is asked still. But on the other one seem ok. I can enter and can see my shared folders, but happiness keeps until that. When I try to enter on of my folder, for example movies, I got a message "Unexpected Error". On the Zidoo page yesterday I found a guide: THIS. I have done everything written in this guide but nothing helped. Any ideas? Or from Zidoo guys?

18. Sarco

Sarco Active Member Beta test group

If you use zidoo explorer, go in android settings/apps find explorer and delete data.

19. videobruce

videobruce Member

I have the opposite problem, I'm able to access my PC,
    BUT,
    I can not access the files (media) on my X10. I can access OpenWrt's GUI and that's about it.
    I'm accessing that by typing the static IP address of the X10 using a wired system, thru a Router (as usual). When I enter the boxes IP, all I get is thew login screen for OpenWrt.
    I'm running Win 7.

What's wrong?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  20. Sarco

Sarco Active Member Beta test group

Nothing wrong, you can access the file on Zidoo with the windows explorer, turn on SMB on zidoo... You can also access openwrt in zidoo go to android settings/more openwrt setting!