Color grading problems in HDR with firmware 1.4.12 and 1.4.16

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1295)' started by giangi76, Nov 14, 2017.

1. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

Hi, I'm quite an advanced video user, and was very happy with the image quality of my X8 till firmware 1.4.6
    (I use the default player, because I consider it the best in terms of video quality and tone mapping HDR).

Then I tried both firmwares 1.4.12 and the new 1.4.16 and with 4k HDR content I notice some very bad color grading in the high lights, with solarisation and horizontal bandings (I already tried all possibile combination of deep color and color space). It's a pitty, because I think the 2 last firmwares are slightly better in terms of detail.
    Because of these issues, I had to downgrade to 1.4.6 firmware, but I like the new features of the 1.4.16 firmware (Ultra HD Blu-ray menu navigation, HDR switch and audio sampling pass-through).

Any chance you could restore the 1.4.6 firmware HDR video quality in the next firmware upgrade?

As the firmwares are in common also with X9S and X10, I suppose the issue affects also these models.

2. looun

looun Member

3. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

I think you're right! I'm afraid it is a mix of color depth (10 bit) and color compression (420 / 422 /444) bug

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  4. looun

looun Member

after downgrade to 1.4.6, color depth 10 bit work?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  5. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

Yes, it worked for me! You need to set deep color to 10 bit and leave color space to Auto

6. Robynet73

Robynet73 New Member

In auto only works 444

7. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

If your TV or projector (and audio processor HDMI pass-through) supports 444, that's absolutely not a problem (even better!)

8. Davicom

Davicom Member

I really hope for zidoo intervent like a corrective patch. A great job was made with bdmv menu, but bluray disks are pratically impossible to watch with banding. I thought to downgrade, but i decide to wait, i hardly thing that zidoo stay with this firmware problems

9. Stfn

Stfn New Member

How did you downgrade? What process did you follow?

10. Davicom

Davicom Member

You need to flash down at 1.4.4 and then you can do Local update (Ota) to 1.4.6, but i don't trip you to make. Are you sure that isn't movie scene are made with those effects? For example: i was sure that batmanvssuperman was not correctly visualized. But if you search on youtube the quality is the same. So i update to 1.4.16 back

11. Stfn

Stfn New Member

Where do you get the 1.4.4 image file from? The only instruction I found on flashing Zidoo X8 is this:
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/how-to-flash-zidoo-x8-unit.3328/
    But it only has a link for the 1.2.6 image file. I also found 1.4.12 on other sites, which I'm not sure are legit. But where to find 1.4.4? Or maybe others?

12. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

flash 1.2.6 and OTA to 1.4.4

13. Stfn

Stfn New Member

OK, but it's still not clear for me - is it one step "jump" from 1.2.6 directly to 1.4.4? Or do I have to go through 1.2,7, 1.2.11, 1.2.12 and 1.3.0beta as they are listed on the official X8 download page here:

upload_2017-11-27_8-39-21.png

14. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

Directly, AFAIK

15. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

I can assure you that the horizontal banding and solarization are NOT movie scene effects (nobody would be so stupid to do that in a movie). I also use a stand-alone Ultra HD Blu-ray player and never have those issues! And proof is, that using FW 1.4.6 everything looks fine!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  16. Davicom

Davicom Member

Believe me (just my experience!!) Reading on forum about color grading problems of new firmware while i was watching the movie I said it in previous post, I did influence; so i did downgrade to 1.4.6 and the vision was the same (1hour14min of movie/dark scene with brightness lights). So a my friend told me "why we don't look for this scene on youtube?" Result: the scene it's made just like so...I Repeate, that is just my experience with only movie i tought had some visualization provlem.

17. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

I'll check Batman vs Superman Ultra HD Blu-ray later and let you know...

18. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

I watched the scene twice from min 1h13min to 1h17min and can't see any problem at all. Everything looks good (except for alot of grain which is in most of the movie...but that's actually the movie style)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  19. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

I tried the latest FW 1.4.20 on X8 and I'm still having the same issue....

Robynet73 likes this.
  20. Robynet73

Robynet73 New Member

also I have the same problem of banding, I tried the same movies with himedia player q10pro is no problem, I hope that solve soon