YCbCr 422 10 bit not Work and YCbCr 420 is missing!

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1295)' started by looun, Nov 14, 2017.

1. looun

looun Member

There is a BIG probleam with x8 and x9s about HDMI output at 10bit.

Select 422 as color space and 10 bit deep color my A/V reciver report 24 bit not 30 bit (10*3), 1080 and 2160 resolution have same problem.

Also on color space setting is missing YCbCr 420 as option , WHY?

This is a very big problem for a "UHD player" because UHD video are YCbCr 420 HEVC 10 bit .

I hope is fix asap as is possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Robynet73

Robynet73 New Member

I also noticed the same problem with hdmi output 422 10 bit does not work

3. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

hi all,

you're talking about fw 1.4.16 ?

with the following settings and the FW 1.4.12 :

resolution : 2160p60
    deep color : 10bit
    color space : AUTO

I have ycbcr 4.4.4 10bit below 30Hz
    I have ycbcr 4.2.0 10bit above 30Hz

I'll check tonight with the FW 1.4.16

------------------

and if I make no mistake.

there is no 4.2.2 10bit with the hdmi 2.0 spec.

all the multimedia boxes that I know only have ycbcr 4.2.2 8Bit

------------------

About YCbCr 420 10 bit with UHD movie :
    the company uses this format because it is the one with the highest compression ratio with the lowest quality of course and I use the ycbcr 4.4.4 10bit with android boxes, my tv has a 10Bit panel, if I had a TV with a 8bit panel, I will use the 4.2.2 8bit or the 4.4.4 8bit for example.

4. looun

looun Member

yes you are rigtht

[​IMG]
    Formats supported by HDMI v2.0. Bold text indicates new formats supported by 2.0 but not by 1.4.

5. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

Unfortunately with these same settings, you should notice HDR horizontal color bandings in the high lights. You can check this on 4K titles like Sicario, Allied, John Wick 1 and 2 and several others. I already checked FW 1.4.16 and it has the same issue. (checked with Panasonic OLED TV and JVC projector)

I had to downgrade to FW 1.4.6 to get proper color grade and HDR tone mapping ;)

6. OlivierQC

you talk about uhd movies format BDMV not capture

7. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

Yes, sure!! I never use captures ;)

8. OlivierQC

i will check this evening,

but i watched guardians of the galaxy v2 uhd (bdmv) the other night and i did not notice any banding

giangi76 likes this.
  9. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

I didn't watch GOTG 2 with the new fimwares, but you could maybe check the Marvel Logo (at the beginning) and the first scene with the cloudy sky...check if the clouds look good (I'm just trying to figure, not sure you get the issue there) ;)

10. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

I'm now noticing you have the X10, while I am using the X8.... the firmwares and SoC should be the same... but maybe there are actually differences??

11. OlivierQC

12. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

Hi Olivier, I already have that Sony demo. The problem is I already did the downgrade, and don't want to install the latest FW to then go back to 1.4.6 (I have a NAS with all the movie posters loaded and starting again is a real hassle).

I'll share with you a sample 1:1 from the John Wick 2 UHD Blu-ray where I noticed the problem, so you can check and then we can compare. Hope it's ok for you.

Just give me a few minutes to create a link to share

13. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

14. OlivierQC

thanks giangi76 but i have this movie uhd hdr BDMV format, i will check this evening with color space AUTO/ 10bit / HDR ON

see you

Olivier.QC
    https://zidoodevices.blogspot.ca/

15. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

OK! In this case you should go to the beginning of chapter 4 (min. 26:38)

16. OlivierQC

17. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

Ok for the X10 settings, but please try to remove the smooth gradation option on your Sony TV (because maybe that's what helping you not noticing the issue, because it does a great job in resampling 8 bit gradations to 10 bit) ;)

18. OlivierQC

i do not understand giangi76, why are you talking about 8Bit resampling

my TV has a 10 bit panel and the film too, there is no resampling

19. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

Your TV has 10 bit panel and the film too, that's correct! But I'm afraid that the latest FW have issues with the 10 bit output, so this means that it doesn't riproduce the correct 10 bit color gradiations. So if you don't notice the banding issue, it may be because your Sony's smooth gradiation option (which resamples to even more than 10 bit...I think it's 14 bit) is correcting things.

In case, just try ;)

20. OlivierQC

I'm not sure about that, and I do not remember seeing an option like this on my TV.

if that can reassure you, i had the opportunity to do Beta tests for Himedia and Egreat, they had problems banding (especially Himedia at the very beginning) and they were very apparent on my sony, if there is a problem on the Zidoo (FW 1.4.12/16) i will see it :)