X9S HOW TO FLASH ZIDOO X9S UNIT

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by HoneCharles, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

MD5= eb142ed6441f098e229925e26d6277e0 for that FW 1.2.3 install.img always better to be sure it is intact.

Copied this reply below from X10 as it is identical for X9S. Don't mix up emergency install image files with regular OTA update files.

For the correct information v1.2.3 .file.img.zip holds FW 1.2.3 as a ROM "install.img" to be installed pressing the restore button on the back during power on.
    It will implicitly wipe all Settings, APP's and Data on the player including OpenWrT settings. It also removes bundled ZDMC as being just another APP.
    In fact emergency flashing does not do an install procedure of Android but puts back on a complete ROM image as installed at the factory.
    You only need it when your player has become unstable and a Factory Reset did either not help or cannot be accessed at all anymore as it got stuck somewhere. It is also the only way to reset the OpenWrt root password (if you forgot it).
    ZDMC (and everything else) needs to be re-installed manually after it using the APK provided (just click on it).

For normal updating without loss of any settings, APP's and Data the OTA update file and procedure should be used instead. It will also conserve the ZDMC installation with its settings and data. Doing a Factory Reset before or after an OTA update has the same effect regarding wiping as emergency image flashing with the exception of OpenWrt settings (including the root password) which are not reset by it.
    To get a 100% clean new FW install I recommend doing a Factory Reset followed by a normal OTA update either locally via USB or via the network after it has been made available that way. It is better to do the Factory Reset before the update than doing it after updating as the OTA install procedure will then run on an already cleaned image avoiding potential installation problems like out of memory etc. Also here ZDMC needs to be re-installed.

The why of my story above? Zidoo does emergency flashing differently than other brand media players which might be confusing when being used to flashing those. Others typically apply an Android script triggered by the boot-loader which will wipe the device first and next do a clean Android install of Android OS plus packages. This effectively is identical to doing so in the 2 steps just described (Factory Reset + OTA). Typically the same FW file can be used for OTA and Emergency flashing using other players but with Zidoo both are very different files not to be confused.
    I don't say ROM image flashing is a bad idea in any way, just different. It is (slightly) more risky when something is done wrong (e.g. power interrupted or wrong image file being applied) but it offers a very good restore indeed which should recover from almost any condition.

Bottom line only do emergency ROM image flashing with Zidoo when really needed, but be sure to have a player matching ROM "install.img" file in your back-pocket as one never knows when it is needed. It is not really important which FW release this image is based on. Once working again the desired FW can be installed using OTA via USB or the most recent OTA available via the network. ;)

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  2. donny

donny Member

Thank you so much Nice Monkey,i have some problem
    The Bootloader does not start,
    Pressing the button behind of reset (this is difficult) the screen stays still.
    I read the guide, but the new update version is different.
    When the guide says to save in the root,it confuses me.
    With my linux decoder just plug in the software into the usb key and turn on,so it updates.Help me.
    Thanks

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  3. Nice Monkey

Hi Donny;
    Why do you need an emergency flash? Use it only if you really need it if your player is unstable. Else always use OTA updates instead. These are a lot easier and less risky.

But anyway if you really need to use it:
    a) The player must be turned off (easiest way is using the power switch) then you press the reset key and keep it pressed when you flip the power switch to on again. After 3-5 seconds you may release the reset button again. The USB-stick should be flashing now and a TV update screen appears.
    b) As far as I know the only version available for X9S is "v1.2.3 .file.img.zip". After unzipping resulting in just "install.img".
    c) Root is what we call the main directory (without any subfolder) on the USB stick. The "install.img" file should go there not into any folder with a name.

donny likes this.
  4. xerxes

xerxes New Member

I need to totally wipe out OPENWRT sttings is there a safe way to do this and still keep current Zidoo firmware which is 1.4.4

thanks

5. donny

donny Member

Thanks for the explanation Nice Monkey, everything is all right, this time.
    I can not load the firmware that I wanted v.1.3.0.
    What should I upload?
    I had problems with the recordings, someone suggested to load v.1.2.7 and then the others.
    Thank you very much.

6. Nice Monkey

For recordings FW 1.4.4 seems the best to me (not using the HDCP hack). This is just an OTA update. Put it on a stick , go to the Update APP and select Local and there you go.

7. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

if you can login, then go to openwrt firmware backup/update, there is a button there

8. donny

donny Member

I have tried to put a more recent version,with the local update.I saw the loading bar,but ended too quickly without erasing the firmware.Then I loaded FW v. 1.2.6 usb ,and I read the message"upload failed".After I uploaded v.1.2.12 again and it was updated regularly.
    thanks again

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  9. xerxes

xerxes New Member

thanks but i decided to totaly wipe out the x9s and reflash it

10. Herve

Herve New Member

Image Flash power . 1.2.3. 1.2.6 uniquement.
    1.2.7 non

11. bodyzen

bodyzen Member

I have updated to fw 1.44, but i want to go back to the old fw.

Better 1.23, 1.26 or 1.27??? Thank.

12. Herve

Herve New Member

[QUOTE = "bodyzen, post: 24281, membre: 11493"] J'ai mis à jour le fw 1.44, mais je veux revenir à l'ancien fw. (

Mieux 1.23, 1.26 ou 1.27 ??? Merci. [/ CITATION]
    Bonjour.
    Personnellement je n'ai pas réussi un installateur le1.2.7 img.
    Par contre le 1.2.6 img s'installe tres bien. Ensuite, mettez un jour en locale (usb) à la version desirée.
    Pour revenir à la version 1.2.6 il flasher.
    Telecharger le fichier 1.2.6instal imag zip
    Dézipper et ouvrir le dossier ainsi que créé et vous trouvez l 'installation de votre photocopieur sur 1 usb gras 32.
    Eteindre (bouton Ar). Mettre une aiguille dans le petit trou AR Enfance et mettez en marche (power) Ar. Comptez 3 secondes et relachez l'aiguille.
    Le panneau avant vous indique successivement up puis hello. L'ecran vous affiche ZIDOO et bascule en mise jour environ 1 minute apres. Cela dure entre 4 et 7 minutes.
    Ne pas arreter l'opération.
    Si 2 minutes affichage ZIDOO l'opération a echouée. Attention seule la clef USB et L'HDMI à l'extérieur et à la branche branchée.
    Au redémarrage: dans parametres decocher mise a jour auto.
    Pour la mise à jour, téléchargez le fichier de votre choix (1.2.12 ou 1.3 ou 1.4.x zip) et copiez le sur une usb. Allez dans la mise en scène (raccourci) et cliquez sur le site puis sur l'utilité de votre fichier zip. Ne pas interompre la mise a jour.
    Dites moi si vous avez réussi ou redemander précisions.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  13. bodyzen

bodyzen Member

Thank Herve, but i don't speak francaise :(

14. bodyzen

bodyzen Member

Thank Monkey.
    I have updated fw 1.44 from local ota.
    It's possible go back to fw 1.27 from local ota usb? Thank.

15. Nice Monkey

Only tried myself going back to 1.2.3 and then up to the desired FW level again via OTA. I don't know which img FW versions in fact do exist.

16. bodyzen

bodyzen Member

No. I do not want to flash the .img file. I wonder if I can go back to an old firmware with the local .zip file.

It's possible a downgrade of the firmware via ota?

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  17. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

18. bodyzen

bodyzen Member

OK.

19. bodyzen

bodyzen Member

Ok. I have flashed zidoo and all ok!!!

:):):)

20. blicht10069

blicht10069 New Member

This process as its documented does not work.

I have downloaded every version of the image for X9S and and extracted and renamed the *.img file to install.img. Its is the ONLY file on my USB drive. The USB drive is formatted to Fat32. Its a 32 GB drive. I have held the reset button down on the box and turned on power while holding down the reset button. The front of the box reads "UP__" and then turns to hello. The ZIDOO logo is on the screen but it never moves to the next screens showing the install progress.

I have tried the 1.2.6 image file. I have tried the 1.2.3 image file. I have tried the install-X9s-usb-1.2.7 image file. I have renamed them img's to install.img. I've tried without renaming. I have only used the 2.0 USB ports. I have NOT used the 3.0 (blue) USB port.

I have follow the instructions to the letter. I have tried every possible interpretation of the instruction. In short, this process DOES NOT work as written.