Downloading and Installing Kodi 17-1 on Zidoo X6 Pro

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X6 Pro' started by ClayW1PI, May 3, 2017.

1. ClayW1PI

ClayW1PI New Member

This is a simple question. Can you download Kodi Version 17-1 and run it as a separate application? Or, Does it replace the the original ZDMC? My box is running Android Ver. 5.1.1. I'm a bit confused and don't want to fix what aint broke.

2. atony

atony Member

hope this helps (no it does not replace ZDMC )
    on my X9S i done a factory reset and i left the ZDMC file as is and i install Kodi 17.1 Krypton (using the zidoo apk installer) then i install all addons on kodi 17.1 and its working great and not a single problem yet so i think it should work for you also if your box can take it.
    https://www.zidoo.tv/Support/guide_step/guide_target/2k02gFiWIINKKmVViAFMcQ==.html

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  3. ClayW1PI

ClayW1PI New Member

Thanks for the response. I was reading so much that was confusing. As long as it can be installed using the apk and separately, that will work. I'm running 16-1 now and its working fine, but I understand that will go away as more and more sources become https. Will have to try it. I've already downloaded the apk for 17 but didn't want to chance screwing something up.

4. atony

atony Member

dont forget --factory reset first--- before installing kodi 17.1 or your apps will be on kodi 16 and 17, this way you will have a clean install.
    Factory Reset Android 6.1
    • Go to Main Settings via main screen or apps menu on your device.
    • Click More Settings
    • Now go to Backup And Reset option. And If needed here you can do a backup (if need)
    • Now you can proceed for Factory Data Reset so once you click on it it will show a warning screen so you need to click on Reset Device and on next screen click Erase Everything . Now device will shut down and reboot so it may take a few minute to reset device completely so don’t turn off device or remove power cable until it boot to menu screen.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  5. ClayW1PI

ClayW1PI New Member

What do you mean by " before installing kodi 17.1 or your apps will be on kodi 16 and 17, this way you will have a clean install." If I did not do a clean install, would I have both Kodi 17.1 and ZDMC both on the device? That is precisely what I would want, to retain ZDMC as it is now configured and have an installed copy of 17.1 as a separate application. There are many things I don't like on 17.1 and I know it will take some time before I become more accustomed too it.

6. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

Nice to see people trying to help, but the info is wrong.
    1) You can't have zdmc and kodi on x6 pro. They overwrite each other
    2) kodi 17.1 will not work on rockchip, support was dropped for it long ago. ZDMC or zidoo media center is the only way to get decent playback on rockchip devices ( like x6 pro )

7. atony

atony Member

SORRY Boss
    did not notice that the question was about the X6 Pro box --yes it does Not work on the X6 -- but it works great on the X9S

8. nice159

nice159 Active Member

Looks like we were beta testers.

9. ClayW1PI

ClayW1PI New Member

So it looks like I'm just stuck with Kodi 16-1 until Zidoo X6 Pro comes out with a new version of ZDMC for Kodi Version 17.1? Anyone have any ideas when that might come about. In any event, thanks for all the information. Glad I didn't try to install Kodi 17.1. I like the Zidoo X6 Pro, but I'm beginning to wonder if I may have made a mistake moving to the latest technology and should have stayed with the G-Box. Only time will tell I guess.

10. azwina

azwina New Member

friend , may i know ,you using which firmware ? 1.4.4 ??

11. atony

atony Member

yes 1.4.4

12. ClayW1PI

ClayW1PI New Member

Ver. 1.0.39 is current ver. It say upto date???

13. ClayW1PI

ClayW1PI New Member

Ver. 1.0.39

14. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

Seems some confusion here.
    Last "online" available FW release for X6 Pro is 1.0.39
    Last FW OTA file (to download from Zidoo and then flash) 1.0.42. After that flash, there is an online OTA upgrade to 1.0.43.
    So (until today) last FW for X6 Pro is 1.0.43
    No ZDMC update for X6 Pro (Kodi 16.1 derived AFAIK)

1.4.4 is the last FW released for X9S.
    Today was released a ZDMC version derived from Kodi 17.1 , ONLY for X8, X9S and X10.

Best to avoid to install this release on different device... else don't come here whining.

15. atony

atony Member

confusion here ----1am using 1.4.4 on the X9S (((not X6 Pro))) sorry my bad.

16. azwina

azwina New Member

your kodi 17.1 is get from play store ? or ?

17. ClayW1PI

ClayW1PI New Member

For starters, you don't have worry about me coming here whining. Other than that, you will have to excuse my ignorance, because I have no idea what FW OTA stands for. To me, OTA stands for "Over The Air", the way I receive my TV signal. As to the FW, I have no idea. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but there are some things I'm just not familiar with.

I don't plan to make any changes at this time. The ZDMC Kodi Version 16.1 is working fine and so long as it continues to do so, I'm not going to make waves.

When you choose to use acronyms, it's always a good idea to define them at their first use. That way you wiln't have ignorant folks like me asking what the blazes it means. I do appreciate all the help and information. That's the purpose of a forum and it is accomplishing that fact.

ClayW1PI

18. ClayW1PI

ClayW1PI New Member

I have deleted the Kodi 17.1 download which I got from the Kodi.tv web page.

19. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

OK, you are right about confusing terms.
    OTA actually stands for Over The Air, and from the beginning Zidoo uses this way to bring updates to it's devices.
    Usually, if your device is connected to internet, should be able to find, download and install updates (somewhat) automatically.
    But Zidoo had and still have to distribute "intermediate" updates (indeed beta releases, even not defined in this way) to users (I think primarily who read this forum) and also for whom wants/needs to "flash" this OTA offline. This files are of the same kind as the ones the device is able to install itself online, so they all are OTA.
    I mean that the device can updete itself downloading autonomously the OTA file from internet, or you can download it with your PC, put it on a USB key and "flash" it.
    (I don't do it in this way, I download it directly on the device using an android browser (I prefer Chrome), then I choose internal "download" folder to choose the update file... simpler and faster!)
    Is important to understand that this procedure can only upgrade (i.e. go from a previous release to a more recent).
    There is another procedure, reported in another thread, called "emergency flashing", that need a PC, a special USB cable , some drivers and a program to be installed on a PC, and a special FW file, not compatible with the OTA ones, an IMG (image) file made available by Zidoo.

20. ClayW1PI

ClayW1PI New Member

Thank you Paco, that was very helpful. I would probably use the same procedure that you use, i.e. , the browser on the Zidoo X6 Pro and then install it locally. When I first got the box, I used the online update to bring it to it's present version and that worked out well. Thanks again for all your help. Believe me it's appreciated. I've been a Kodi, former XBMC, user for a few years now and have moved from the MXQ boxes to this Zidoo box.

It's funny how you define terms. As an Amateur Radio Operator for more than 50 years, I have always attributed the term OTA as you correctly stated, Over The Air. However, I never considered that the term would also apply to the internet as well. I'll have to keep that in mind, even though technically the internet normally thought of as a Landline Technology and yet many of its connections are truly OTA via satellite and high frequency data transmissions. Even old dogs like me learn something new each day. Again thank you.