EDID thread (RTD1619DR players)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

No, you're getting mixed up with Dolby Vision where TMaxPQ and TMinPQ are defined in the Dolby Block.

Although it's possible to define MaxCLL/FALL and MinCLL in the EDID for HDR10, in practice this is never used and not active in this EDID (or any of the ones I've produced).

Maximum nits are defined in the content by MaxCLL and MaxFALL (Content Light Level and Frame Average Light Level) and the way the content is tone mapped is defined in the display. Essentially HDR10 support is simply a switch in the EDID.

2. Big Tom

Big Tom New Member

3. Big Tom

Big Tom New Member

Yes? Well yes and no. This evening we decided to watch the remainder of that box set Fear the walking dead S6 blu ray we have so turned everything on and the picture did its black screen jiggle!! I though oh God, here we go again. The screen went black then the picture came back on black screen it did this 5 times total I had to restart the series we were on as we missed a good 6 minutes it is annoying it does this every time, we turn the Zidoo on then it settled down and it played from that moment onwards is that to be expected is it normal should it be happening at all. Before I got the fix in settings to make it not happen it has improved. Before I got the fix the black screen was well it wasn't watchable at all as it was happening every 3 to 6 seconds so you couldn't even get to the settings screen to fix anything as it kept cutting in and out. Had to disconnect the Zidoo and connect it to my pc monitor to fiddle with the settings then take it back to the cinema room and connect it up and that is how I fixed it but tonight it did it's back screen jiggle again but as said above it settled down and played perfectly after that initial black screen intermittent fault.

What I would like to ask the community is this normal should it be happening at all is this something you would tolerate or is this something which comes with the territory of owning a Zidoo, I assume there are people here who do not experience my black screen problem.

Finally, the button on the remote can I ask what should it be left at as it was on 1080P 60 Hz before I fiddled with it. I now have it on 3840P 60 Hz Just want to know I have it set correct. I do notice if I change that the resolution in settings changes also.

Sorry to be the party pooper regarding this black screen flicking on and off just would like to get to the bottom of it and why it is happening as changing the settings that were expressed to me, I have acted on those and it seems to have fixed it for the most part but still it can show it dark side pardon the pun none intended.

Lastly even though I have the time settings to countdown with remaining time showing it only seems to show the current time of the film we are watching it won’t ever count down with the remaining time how do I sort that as no matter what I do in never seems to count the time down remaining.

Thank you all.

4. sidman

sidman New Member

Dear Sir,
    Are you able to use the LLDV setting on your zidoo with the sony vw270es projector? In my case I am getting a blank screen and after 2-3 minutes the zidoo Z9X reverts back to the VS10 setting. I am suspecting it could be an issue with my Denon 3700H receiver not passing the settings, but not sure. I have loaded 5 EDID settings, from the 1st page, but none of them are able to fix this.
    Thank you,
    Sid

5. Big Tom

Big Tom New Member

Reading your post I have contacted a good friend who owns a home audio shop. I was loaned an X demonstrators the A8A Yamaha. I have A 4K Blu Ray and standard blu ray player, none of those have ever thrown the black screen.

I very much doubt it it your AV Receiver as it does the same on the Yamaha.

I doubt I want to be running the gauntlet of black screen which would be embarrassing in front of friends and family to have this throw a glitch and trying to find a fix that would be totally a situation I would never want to find myself in.

If you have already downloaded and installed 5 different EDID files well that is telling. So reading all the posts this black screen can not be fixed, pity as I love the Zidoo but not if the black screen can not be fixed permanently. As I don’t want to be experiencing this every time I turn my Zidoo on & play a movie.
    There is only so much tweaking you can do before it becomes it becomes tedious, and I just find I am spending to much time trying to get this Zidoo to work.

If no one can post a fix within the next seven days I will start a return post this Zidoo back and just ask for a complete refund.

sidman likes this.
  6. sidman

sidman New Member

Thanks for the feedback BigTom. My experience has been that if I use the VS10 setting vs the LLDV setting - using one of the custom EDID's, my receiver does show that DV is being passed on to it, and DV encoded movies are playing back fine on my Sony VPL VW270ES. However I am keen on trying the LLDV settings to see if the picture quality is better. Ultimately I will get a HD fury device, but my viewing is very limited, mainly to HDR movies and TV shows for maybe 3-4 hours a week, so I am trying to wring out the best quality from the Zidoo without adding any additional devices.
    Cheers,
    Sid

7. Big Tom

Big Tom New Member

I very much doubt I would be going to the expense to buy another piece of tech to make the Zidoo work. To me that is madness. Anyway each to their own I suppose. I will more than likely buy another media player of a different brand make model. I’m bound to hit lucky. To me the Zidoo is not fit for purpose if it is advertised as a 4K HDR player then it throws black screens obviously there is something wrong as it should simply just work out the box if you are going to introduce another piece of tech just to make the Zidoo work then to me that defeats the purpose and is just throwing money just to make the Zidoo work then there is something seriously wrong with the Zidoo out the gate. So it is a hardware or software problem within the Zidoo. What I did not see in the YouTube videos showing how great the Zidoo is was the lack of reference to the the black screen problem.

8. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

That's because there isn't a widely reported black screen problem like you are having... You have something going on with your setup or equipment or HDMI cables or your Zidoo needs a factory reset. If you have checked and/or done all of those things and it still doesn't work, return it.

9. Big Tom

Big Tom New Member

I very much doubt it is my equipment as this Black screen only happens when I’m using the Zidoo. I have had this setup for 3 years and never experienced the black screen problem and I have three blu ray players two for ordinary dvd & blu ray players and a dedicated 4K UHD player plus and old media player non 4K HD, the only time I get the black screen is when the Zidoo 3000 UHD is connected. I have read other forums where this black screen fault is reported when using the Zidoo so I doubt it is specific to me or my setup when the only time I get the black screen is when using the Zidoo. To rule out HDMI cable I purchased three new 2.1 Certified High Speed, cost me £141 so the fault remains even if using standard HDMI cable. I put it down to the Zidoo either a software or hardware problem so I will take your advice and start a return middle of next week.

10. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

That's unfortunate... so did you also perform a factory reset?

11. Big Tom

Big Tom New Member

You mean reset it back to factory settings in that instance yes I did. Video play back will start then it will black screen three to five times by that time it skips forward so we have to rewind and start from the beginning of the movie we are watching which is blu ray non 4K though did watch 4K sound is as good as the 4K blu ray player. It is a shame as I really love the Zidoo and another thing this is my second UHD3000 player first one was a customer return though this second unit was brand new. Was a bit annoyed as the remote control looked kind of cheap compared to the first one.

12. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

Ok, and sorry if this is redundant... but are the files you are having trouble with... are they your own rips? Or are they downloaded? Are they full rips or compressed down with software? etc... The symptoms of yours really seem similar to dodgy files that the Zidoo is struggling with for some reason... And do you have your Zidoo display setting set for "matching frame rate and resolution"? You are not trying to force out a specific resolution are you? Do you have your HDR settings set for Auto?.... at least while you are troubleshooting this display issue.

13. Big Tom

Big Tom New Member

The rips are full film only the initial black screen when I rewind the film they do play without incident all the way through trouble free I find that strange that I can rewind the film and it plays 100% as if nothing ever happened so I know it is not the rips as the black screen happens even when I’m in the settings screen without playing anything even without an internal hard drive installed. HDR settings are set to auto, lock resolution to 3840, auto frame rate set to match frame rate, im using the Custom EDID SONY-8000H.
    I am willing to try other settings if anyone can assist as I would hate to have to return this back to the place of purchase. I really like the Zidoo. Can anyone advise further. Thanks

14. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

Have you tried another HDMI input on the Sony? When the screen goes black, what happens when press the resolution button on the Zidoo to toggle to another resolution? I would go back to Auto on your EDID, then power everything OFF. Then turn on your TV first, then your receiver ( if you have one), then your Zidoo... and see what happens then.

15. Markswift2003

It's extremely rare so I hesitate to say this, but your description is looking more and more like a faulty box.

This just isn't normal behaviour - I've been beta testing these boxes from before they were even announced and I saw a lot of weird behaviour in the early days, but never what you describe.

A red flag is that you say it happens in the settings screen - The only way I could replicate that would be to output a full HDMI 2.0 17.8Gbps (594MHz) signal using an HDMI cable that can't handle it, but in order to do that you'd either have to be sending 8-bit RGB/4:4:4 at 60fps or 12-bit 4:2:2 at 60fps and you'd really have to try hard to screw up the settings to do that!!

The only way to pin something like this down is systematic trouble shooting - eliminate items in the HDMI chain, change inputs, try another display etc etc.

16. Markswift2003

Actually - try this EDID - it's restricted to 400MHz which is between HDMI 1.4 and HDMI2 - at least it will preclude a bandwidth issue being responsible:

https://mega.nz/file/UOgUgRyZ#6zPFs17wh7rPsA_fgFaNY-UZLxavbvMgqA4qn45SFwU

In fact, you could test this one as well, it's 300MHz HDMI1.4:

https://mega.nz/file/YbJnCKYJ#b8w2R6i8EuXMSkVUsi7rT1VVPcYo33xPuC1oXu8TWG0

17. Big Tom

Big Tom New Member

When you say faulty box you mean the Zidoo UHD 3000. All I can say is this fault is not present when using my other blu ray player including my 4K UHD Player and let’s not firget my old Egrate media player which I still have and take with me when trecking around Europe in my camper van. So it is pointing to the Zidoo being faulty. I have it connected straight into the Projector and I know the projector is not faulty or any other piece if my equipment for that matter. Ok I will ask the reseller if they will swap it for a brand new one. Try that and if the replacement throws a problem then time to call it a day with Zidoo or should I got for the pro 1000. As I went for the Zidoo UHD 3000. Thanks for replying appreciate that.

18. Big Tom

Big Tom New Member

Ok, will do as you have suggested and report back tomorrow evening once I have done what you have explained thanks for the advice appreciate your help in trying to resolve this issue for me.

19. Big Tom

Big Tom New Member

These are EDID files so I upload those to the Zidoo via USB or transfer them to the hard drive and install them. Ok I’ll try that and see what happens will those allow me to still enjoy 4K HDR. Thanks I’ll definitely use those and report back when I have tested them really appreciate your input. So thank you.

20. Edworld

Edworld Member

I do not recall having these issues, but I am starting to believe that Zidoo and Sony (I have A80CK) don't get along well. I also thought about having a defective box and receiving the replacement next week.