Recommended Settings and other useful stuff for RTD 1619DR Players

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Oct 21, 2020.

1. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

i only think this only will come to newer Models coming soon / in the future …………
    But poss be backwards compatible with older models if ?

But that be for LG to decide or A if they can do it or it push for New sets to be purchased because of this option etc . !

2. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

Wouldn't this be the same thing as simply tweaking the existing dolby vision preset to warm color temp, and turning off post processing features? That's all filmmaker mode does, right? On current LG OLEDs, you can select the "cinema" dolby vision mode, and turn off post processing and you basically have filmmaker mode..

B0RN likes this.
  3. DELUCAS

“ We don’t yet know the details of Dolby Vision Filmmaker Mode beyond what was briefly discussed at the LG TV event. It apparently was approved in late 2022, and for that reason will not be appearing in any new sets for 2023, though 2024 is possible.

What makes a Dolby Vision Filmmaker Mode important is that the current suite of TV presets for viewing programs with Dolby Vision are all compromised to a degree. Dolby Vision IQ is a good option in that it automatically compensates for ambient room lighting, but it’s not the same as Filmmaker Mode because it adds motion processing to images. It’s true that you can adjust the settings in Dolby IQ mode to eliminate motion interpolation, but that defeats the purpose of a preset – something that, like Filmmaker Mode, viewers can simply select and expect to see an accurate, director-approved presentation.

What’s at issue here is that preset modes like Dolby Vision IQ and Dolby Vision Normal make pictures brighter, but in doing so they emphasize the judder and blur artifacts inherent to images filmed at 24 fps. Motion interpolation processing can successfully eliminate such artifacts, which is why they get applied in those modes. But motion interpolation also makes movies look like daytime soap operas – one of the major reasons why the Hollywood community pushed for a Filmmaker Mode.

Ideally, a Dolby Vision Filmmaker Mode would bring the benefits of Dolby IQ – automatic adjustment of brightness based on a room’s ambient lighting – and possibly combine it with variable frame rate motion processing — something along the lines of the TrueCut Motion tech used to create Avatar: The Way of Water. TrueCut Motion is a “motion grading” tool used in movie post-production that allows for the adjustment of frame rates on a variable basis to reduce the visual impact of judder and blur without making motion look unnatural. Having seen it in action when I caught Avatar: The Way of Water at an IMAX theater (as well as in a follow-up demo at CES 2023), its visual benefits were abundantly clear.

I have no idea what Dolby has in mind for Dolby Vision Filmmaker Mode since details about it haven’t been released beyond the technical and manufacturing communities. But if it can in some way strike a balance between accurately delivering a film director’s vision and allowing for greater flexibility in home viewing conditions, it will be a very welcome development. “

4. Starwave

Starwave New Member

Hi everyone,

I have ordered a Zidoo Z9X that I want to use with my Sony A8F OLED TV, primarily for better Dolby Vision support. So I was wondering whether I should use player-led or display-led Dolby Vision. Most of the content will be Dolby Vision Profile 7/8 Remuxes.

On reddit, I found quite a disturbing feedback from someone, whom I quote: "Forget about watchable Dolby Vision on your AF8 over HDMI. Stick to the Netflix, Amazon & Disney’s built in apps which will do DV just fine. The issue is that the SOC (system on chip) on the AF8 is ridiculously underpowered, resulting in the TVs DV implementation being “player led” instead of “TV LED”, meaning scandalously dim DV."

Is this true? Is the A8F underpowered and unable to do display-led (TV-led) Dolby Vision, and does that mean I should enable player-led Dolby Vision on my Zidoo Z9X to get a better experience?

On a side note, I have been using an Apple TV 4K with my Sony A8F for like the past 4 years. My experience with Apple TV 4K has generally been okay, but I did a lot of times experience scenes that are not perfectly black, even when sitting in a dark room at night watching Dolby Vision Profile 5 content using Netflix Apple TV app for example. Like there would be some grey in it or some distortion, which is surprising because it is an OLED, right? Is that because Dolby Vision is not being played perfectly, or am I missing something?

So I wonder how this is going to change when I finally get my Zidoo Z9X, whether Player-Led or Display-Led DV will make a difference, and whether I need a better OLED TV!

5. DELUCAS

You are using this for Local media Playback yes
    Not for as such streaming ?

6. Jimbo Randy

Right but I am saying that you can simply just tweak any LG OLED preset mode to replicate filmmaker mode. It takes literally 10 seconds haha. A preset could be nice but it's not like some bombshell feature. Also, Dolby Vision IQ isn't recommended to get the most accurate picture. If you go to the r/OLED_Gaming subreddit, and go to the stickied green guide post, dolby vision cinema mode is recommended for dark room viewing, which does NOT have Dolby Vision IQ activates by default.

I guess my point is that I just don't see why dolby vision filmmaker is a huge deal when you can just simply turn off post processing features.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  7. DELUCAS

A feature is a is a feature
    and who knows what or if will be added to it but as mentioned this feature will take advantage of the Extra super bright SUN settings it now has ;)

8. Starwave

Starwave New Member

Yes, of course. The Zidoo Z9X will be used for all my local library of 4K Dolby Vision Profile 7 and 8 MKV Remuxes.

So is it true that Sony A8F does not have support for Display-Led DV because of underpowered SOC, so I have to use Player-Led DV?

9. Jimbo Randy

I guess we'll see. Hopefully LG will allow these to work on older TVs with a firmware update!

10. Jimbo Randy

I think Sony added proper tv led support on their 2021 or 2022 models. Anything older probably won't have it. I'm not 100% on that though.

11. DELUCAS

Think only on Newer models for now
    But a good chance after its been milked it may come on older models and add a additional feature so to speak . :)

12. Jimbo Randy

I have a question about HFM (the thing that avatar 2 uses). How would this work with the matching frame rate feature of the zidoo? Would this cause issues? Would it send it over as 48 fps? 24fps? I'm a bit confused on how this works. I guess I just don't really understand why HFM is needed to remove judder, if almost every single TV already has good judder removal features. For example, "Cinema Screen" (or whatever it's called) on LG OLEDs activate 5:5 pulldown, so 24p content is multiplied x5 to get to the 120hz refresh rate of the TV. This removes Judder. So then what's the point of HFM? I'm sure I'm just not understanding.

13. Starwave

Starwave New Member

Thanks. So which setting do I enable to force
    So this means I need to enable/force LLDV, right? Which setting is that?

As for non-DV content, I don't want them to play in Dolby Vision because that might mean colors will be inaccurate. So how do I force LLDV to make sure my Dolby Vision Profile 7, 8 and 5 are playing properly in DV, but leave SDR and HDR10 to play as originally intended?

And finally follow the other settings on the first post, right? Or any other changes I need to do?

14. Jimbo Randy

If your Sony TV is from 2018, then I assume it doesn't do TV LED Dolby Vision very well, if at all, however I don't have a Sony TV so I really cannot confirm this, sorry. If you want to force LLDV, just go to the "Dolby Vision compatability mode" settings in your Zidoo and change it to player led (LLDV). That's all you need to do. Just leave the HDR settings on 'auto'. That should give you what you need, if I am understanding you correctly.

15. Jimbo Randy

@Markswift2003 i guess i have a question for you too. How would the matching frame rate feature of the zidoo work with a hfr movie like avatar 2 that jumps between 24 and 48p? Wouldn't that cause an hdmi resync every time it switches? Or am i misunderstanding how that would work?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  16. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

I did the same thing, picked up the largest IMAX screen available in my area and went to see Avatar 2 in 3D HFR (Hight Frame Rate) laser projectors. I was a bit disappointed in this HFR. I'm watching movies at home using various levels of frame interpolation. On my LG OLED for 24 fps it is to cut down the judder and remove this strobing effect of 24fps. OLED screen at 24fps will maintain the frame continuously and instantly flip to the next frame with a bit of pop. There is no blur to smooth out transition like LED panels. I see 24fps in true film cadence 5x each frame steady on and pop like a slide show or strobing light effect. A bit of frame interpolation takes the edge of this strobing and makes the movie pleasant to watch. My 3D movies have high level of frame interpolation for true immersive realism. Projector is set for light level of interpolation to sharpen 24fps motion. I'm used to high frame rates.

Back to Avatar. HFR didn't look like motion grading at all. Laser 3D projectors are not capable to switch or adjust frame rate on the fly. The projectors were working at 48fps all the time and scenes were blend of panning 48fps and more static conversations at 24fps displayed 2x each frame. First of all 48fps is not that high. It helps a bit with panning scenes but is far from WOW 120fps! Second issue I had was that the frame rates were cutting in and out between 24 and 48 all the time. It was distracting for me. Some scenes and dialogs started with 48 and jump with next camera to 24! Totally unnecessary. They should have film all in 48 and play all in 48!

120fps makes it true or better to real life motion. You could read fine print as it's scrolling or see all the fine details in motion in front of your eyes :D

17. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Nobody does it dynamically on movies. It's only for gaming on PC to get the highest possible frame rate where scenes are not so complex to render and slow down a notch were can't maintain high frame rate.

UHD disks and Zidoo would just play 48 or 60fps constantly. Anything lower would be 24 or 30 fps 2x.

18. Jimbo Randy

Ok so the switch from 48hz to 24hz is done in post production, but the signal is sent over as a constant 48hz?

I guess i just don't see the point of hfr if something like the LG OLED can already remove judder?

19. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

The point is that the movie recorded in 48fps or 60fps will be exactly as director intended. No frame interpolation can reproduce higher frame rate without some degree of artifacts or lost sharpness and details.

20. Jimbo Randy

Ok yea, makes sense. Fair enough. So as @DELUCAS was saying, what would dolby vision filmmaker mode have to do with hfr? Wouldn't hfr be up to the movie makers to implement and not TVs, if it's just being sent over as 48hz or 60hz? Not sure I understand what filmmaker mode has to do with this?