Recommended Settings and other useful stuff for RTD 1619DR Players

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

VS10 is the engine used to output an HDR mode depending on the display's capability (EDID), LLDV is an example of an HDR mode, specifically Player Led Dolby Vision.

2. Markswift2003

VS10 is a Dolby designed engine used to output the "best" HDR mode according to the display's ability. The Zidoo lets you tailor this to your requirements - ie chose under what circumstances VS10 is used and indeed by virtue of a custom EDID, what HDR mode VS10 uses.

Theoretically there is no difference between TV or Player Led Dolby Vision, however contrary to Dolby's ideals, the processing ability of a player may not match that of a display. As a very general rule, TV Led is preferred, but it is dependent on the hardware and in most cases for the same source, there is no discernible difference. Bottom line, let your eyes decide and if you can't see any difference, don't look for one.

I use LLDV on a projector, yes.

3. vddan

vddan Active Member

In replacement of the LLDV, it is now more than 15 days that I use this edid '600MHz Rec709 SDR.bin' on my JVC NZ7, with the gamma settings that go well !!
    I can say that now I will keep these settings, given the image quality obtained, whatever the video quality of my files.
    No more pumping in the whites, blacks always well legible and stung from hell !!
    I advise to test...........:cool:

4. Markswift2003

Glad you like it - I've been using it on my JVC for a few months now.

I have to admit I'm a bit undecided which gives a better image and there are a few issues with VS10 SDR when tone mapping very bright highlights but overall I feel that VS10 SDR is a better solution since the output better matches the projector's capabilities.

I'm in no way saying that VS10 matches the ability of a MadVR Envy, but it's essentially the same process with fewer numbers ;)

5. vddan

vddan Active Member

Thanks, I appreciate it.............;)

6. Ozzyoz

Ozzyoz Member

"edid '600MHz Rec709 SDR.bin"
    Is there a trick to use it with HDfury too .. vertex2 and FIRETV HD ???

7. Markswift2003

No trick - just load it into the Vertex as usual and anything plugged into it will think that the display is Rec.709 SDR only.

8. Ozzyoz

Ozzyoz Member

Uhm ... but I have to force HDR ( always ) on FIRETV ?

9. vddan

vddan Active Member

No, SDR and VS10 for everything!

10. Ozzyoz

Ozzyoz Member

VS10 on amazon FIRETV ? How ?

11. vddan

vddan Active Member

See with Mark ......

12. Markswift2003

If you use an SDR EDID HDR doesn't come into it. Everything is in SDR.

This is also what I do with my NVidia Shield although I don't need the Vertex because the Shield has a Rec.709 setting. This doesn't mean it converts to SDR, just that streaming services serve the Rec.709 version and not the HDR10/DV version.

Amazon FireTV or Shield do not use VS10 and they don't need it because the EDID dictates the file that gets served to you which has already been converted by the service provider.

13. Ozzyoz

Ozzyoz Member

[QUOTE="Markswift2003, post: 184990, member: 21473"
    Amazon FireTV or Shield do not use VS10 and they don't need it because the EDID dictates the file that gets served to you which has already been converted by the service provider.[/QUOTE]
    Ok clear . Thank you

14. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

@Markswift2003 , what are your thoughts on VS10 engine for SDR? Do you use it?

15. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

I tried with it on my OLED77C2 but when I noticed that some scenes and faces got too bright I turned it off, left it on for HDR/DV for a while but noticed it recently when watching Harry Potter 4 with HDR so turned it off for HDR and on for DV, I guess it depends on movie and TV/projector you use.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
  16. jkkwaz

jkkwaz New Member

I am trying to set this up for a friend with an NX7. He is definitely interested in using this instead of MADVR, for simplicity. I understand how to set this up in the Zidoo, and have already uploaded the custom SDR EDID, but can you give me a really quick run-down of JVC settings? Rec709 obviously, and gamma 2.4? And picture mode obviously SDR. Thanks for helping so many people with this!

17. Markswift2003

You've pretty much got it - I'd set the Zidoo to VS10 for all content with match framerate only at 4K23.

On the PJ, set the Picture Mode to Rec.709 with a gamma of 2.2 and that's it. A gamma of 2.4 will tend to be a bit dark, 2.2 is standard.

You can play with the JVC picture modes but I just stick to Rec.709.

18. jkkwaz

jkkwaz New Member

Sounds great, thanks!!

OK one more question for my setup. I've been reading this thread and keep getting confused! My Zidoo is hooked to my Samsung QN90A, and I've confirmed no go on the LLDV until I get an HDFury box. In the meantime, for good old fashioned HDR10, does it still benefit me to use VS10 for all content? And if so, should I be running a custom EDID?

19. Markswift2003

I think HDR10 does benefit from VS10 so to try it with your Samsung you don't need a custom EDID, just set VS10 for HDR and DV then SDR will be native and HDR10 and Dolby Vision will be processed by VS10.

You could also use VS10 for all content if you want SDR to be converted too.

I use LLDV on my Samsung (with an HDFury Vertex2 to spoof the HDR message and kick the Sammy into HDR mode) and it's very effective.

20. jkkwaz

jkkwaz New Member

VERY helpful. Thanks again!