Recommended Settings and other useful stuff for RTD 1619DR Players

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Oct 21, 2020.

1. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Before you take extreme measures with factory restore try to unplug all hard drives if you have any. Frequent lockups shutting down could be caused by one of you hard drives that needs to be checked and repaired. I had this issue few times.

Eric Rozzell likes this.
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Nope - doesn't work like that - you're falling into the "Full Range" is better than "Limited Range" trap there ;)

3. serg fedorov

serg fedorov Active Member

Using the full range will lose detail in the shadows. But the picture at full range seems to be more contrasting. However, it is correct to use 16-235, limited.

4. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

OK, we have completed HDMI range discussion :D

Markswift2003 likes this.
  5. Colmas

Colmas New Member

Success was short lived, as it worked OK for a few nights, and then reverted back to Rec 2020 output. Again, the issue was resolved by disabling the custom EDID, and then re-enabling it. Being not sure what else to do, I again downloaded the Rec709 SDR custom EDID and re-installed it. Surprisingly it worked, and it has stuck for a few times and will now monitor it over the next few days. The funny thing is the newly downloaded custom Rec 709 EDID is differently named in the Zidoo menu compared to the previous one I was using. The old one was 600MHz Rec 709 SDR, and the new one is 600MHz Rec 709 SDR_655. Are they different, or is the Zidoo somehow adding _655 suffix to differentiate it from the other one in the menu? The other thing that I noticed is that the newer custom EDID appears to give a better image. The blacks are inkier, and the colors more saturated. Overall, a very nice image. Not really sure what's going on but will keep an eye on it and report back.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  6. Markswift2003

I can only think that there was a problem when you loaded the first EDID, but the file download hasn't changed.

The custom EDID name comes from the filename, so yes, unless you deleted the original file, if you load a file of the same name, the Zidoo will add a suffix.

Press the menu button to delete unwanted EDIDs.

7. cybergambit

cybergambit New Member

Hi all,

I've just upgraded my home set up and am now using a Sony 4K projector (XW5000) and 7.2.4 speaker set up with my Zidoo Z9X. I was hoping Mark or anyone with a similar set up can advise on a few things, as I've found settings results on the Zidoo are giving very different results to when I was using a TV.

1. The projector is not DV compatible, so I only use HDR10 content (assuming DV content is not worth using as it will just be downgraded anyway). What are the suggested HDR settings with a projector vs Marks standard TV based settings?
    2. Of course most of the content I'm playing is 23.9fps, but I am curious to understand why Mark has fixed at 23fps and not 24fps? Is there a specific reason to round down rather than up?
    3. Any other video based settings I should be aware of when using a projector rather than a TV which vary from Marks settings?
    4. Finally, was there ever a solution for booting directly into HT4 when starting the Zidoo or still have to go through the launcher page?

Thanks in advance for the help!

8. Markswift2003

1. Believe it or not your projector is perfectly capable of playing DV natively - you just have to use a custom BT.2020 LLDV EDID and set the projector to its BT.2020 HDR mode (not sure if the Sony can be set to HDR manually, and if not an HDFury device is needed)

Whether you use DV, HDR or SDR, the settings on the first page stand, it's just up to you how you use HDR.

2. 23 is shorthand for 23.976fps (24000/1001). 24 is 24.000fps which is not the same thing at all.

3. It's definitely not as easy as a TV and you should bear in mind that the best possible HDR image from any projector is going to be SDR because of the light levels - so HDR has to be tone mapped aggressively to fit the capabilities of a projector. You have to experiment and see what's best for your setup - whether that's just feeding it native SDR and HDR, LLDV or even letting the Zidoo do all the heavy lifting and spit out SDR (only use VS10 for that - the Realtek HDR to SDR conversion is terrible!)

PDFs attached to the first post might be interesting for you.

9. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

The fixing of 23fps is to avoid black screen and delays in resync for projector trying to get new screen refresh rate setup for new fps. Most of the movies are in 23.976fps and setting and locking the resolution and refresh rate to the most common format of your movies will avoid resync delays and black screen flash. My projector is about 4s for resync, not too bad. I prefer to have max resolution and 60fps (auto) for Zidoo poster wall. It has smooth scrolling of posters and nice opening of small poster to full screen movie page. When movie starts I get black screen for about 4s to resync from 60fps to 23fps. It's good and bad and you have to decide what works for you. When locked to 23fps screen jerks in steps on poster wall like a strobe light effect. I also use a bit of frame interpolation to smooth things out specially on OLED TV ;)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
  10. alberto10

alberto10 New Member

Good everyone...full day of testing...checking settings...etc...

I love zidoo...the truth is that the ease of the cover theme...trailers...information...it's nice to turn it on and see your entire library organized there. The image quality is very very good for my taste...it runs smoothly...playing mkv of 60 gbs...and no problem...I'm delighted.

The hard drive I put into it....WD Red Plus NAS 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive 4TB 5400 Class r. p. m., SATA 6 Gb/s, CMR and 64 MB Cache PERFECT... I can't even hear it...

Although I think that if I keep adding movies...in the end I'm going to have to buy a NAS...both for space...and for the ability to have it on and its low consumption...and not the PC...with the subject of looking for movies in the video store and putting them in my library.

I have already installed the BETAS theme... so let's see what they are improving.

I have adjusted as commented on the first page.

Autorefresh/Frame rate mode : Switch frame rate only

Resolution: Lock resolution (3840x2160P 23Hz)

Color Settings:
    4K 50-60Hz PriorityYUV422 10BIT
    4K 23-30Hz PriorityYUV444 10BIT
    Non-4K PriorityYUV444 10BIT
    HDMI Color Range 16-235
    Deep Color compatibility mode OFF
    HDMI Signal Enhanced format

HDR Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (For all content)

Dolby Vision compatible mode Priority LLDV (Player Led)

MaxCLL and MaxFALL ON

With that Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (For all content) setting you are converting everything to Dolby Vision.

I have Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (For DV content) on, so I see in DV when the source is DV, and HDR when the source is HDR

I HAVE VARIOUS DOUBTS.

1.- The issue of putting DV for all the content and not putting it specifically for DV and HDR for HDR...or vice versa...how it will look better...I currently neither the TV nor the optoma uhz50 projector have dolby vision...they are only HDR...the project at least.

2.- Resolution: Lock resolution (3840x2160P 23Hz)...there is a higher one that puts 60hz...I don't understand much...wouldn't it be better there? I ASK nothing else.

3.- the playback of the zidoo will always be on my recently purchased OPTOMA UHZ50 LASER 4K PROJECTOR and always with 4k UHD HDR or DV movies depending on...approx. 60 gbs.

CAN YOU HELP ME, PLEASE?

THANKS TO ALL !!!

11. Markswift2003

1. Only you can decide that - you're the one sitting in front of the TV. But if your display is HDR10 only and not Dolby Vision, VS10 will output HDR10, not Dolby Vision. If your displays don't take a long time to do an HDMI resync, you're probably better setting HDR > Auto.

2. Yes, you can set any frame rate your display supports. This is only the GUI frame rate.

3. ?

12. cybergambit

cybergambit New Member

Thanks very much for the feedback Mark - let me "tinker" with this and see what I can come up with.

One follow up question. When you say DV is compatible, do you mean that when playing DV content it will output DV or just that DV content will play but then the actual HDR seen on screen will be "down converted" to HDR10?

If the former then it's obviously me using native DV content to get the best quality, but if the latter, I can save myself the potential compatibility issues by just using the HDR10 version of the content to start with.

13. cybergambit

cybergambit New Member

Thanks for your take mate. So I have fixed at 23fps to make sure there's no stutter during playback, but I know exactly what you mean about the poster wall not being smooth under this setting. I'm assuming that if I keep it in auto frame rate, the content will always playback in 23fps without ever "mismatching" the correct frame rate and playing in 60fps by accident? I don't want to start having to keep change the frame rate after starting movies.

So basically my understanding is that if I choose auto frame rate, the only downside will be the time for resync when starting a movie?

Thanks.

14. Markswift2003

Player led DV (LLDV) has the Dolby Vision dynamic mapping calculated in the player and it outputs a signal quantised over a static gamma curve.

This is exactly the same way that HDR10 works - so by specifying the colour primaries to be BT.2020 in the Dolby block in the EDID and by setting the max luminosity to say 1000nits, if we then push this signal to the display and set the display to a 1000nit BT.2020 HDR10 mode, you get exactly the same signal.

The display has no idea it's receiving Dolby Vision - it just thinks it's HDR10 - but it's correctly processed and you're getting all the DV dynamic stuff because it's processed in the player.

So it's not "down converted", it's a native LLDV signal being processed in the same way an LLDV display would do it.

As I say, the problem lies in getting the display into its HDR10 mode without receiving an HDR10 signal - this usually needs an HDFury Vertex2 for example. Some displays, mainly projectors will allow you to create a user HDR10 mode manually, in which case the HDFury is not needed.

Letmein, Teacher, rozel and 1 other person like this.
  15. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

You got it. Feel free to experiment and let us know if you find something interesting. A lot of it is personal preference based on the equipment you have.

16. Colmas

Colmas New Member

Yes, if I set the frame rate to 23, on my JVC PJ, the movie starts in about 3s or so. If I set the frame rate to auto, it takes around 15s! Not acceptable to me, so I use 23. As far as the poster wall goes, I do not notice much difference. I don't get any strobing stuttering or excessive delays in moving around the posters or opening them up. So I leave the refresh rate at 23.
    Cheers

Markswift2003 likes this.
  17. Markswift2003

Haha! Someone else with a JVC projector and their mad HDMI sync times!!

18. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

That is crazy... those extended resync times... 15 seconds?? I understand maybe 4 or 5.. but what is a JVC even doing during that time to take that long to put an image on screen? Incredible...

19. Colmas

Colmas New Member

Yes, it can be quite frustrating, although if I have to wait 15s for a 2h movie it's not a deal breaker. But with the frame rate set at 23 it's down to about 3s. I would still purchase another JVC PJ, even given their long HDMI sync times, purely because they put out a great image with class leading black levels.

Cheers

crutzulee, Letmein and vddan like this.
  20. Markswift2003

They're a lot better these days - 5s or so I believe, but yeah it's completely bonkers on the older ones...