New products Zidoo? - EverSolo DAC Z6/Z8

Discussion in 'Eversolo DAC-Z6 / DAC-Z8' started by pavlin67, Oct 16, 2022.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

2. myzidoo

myzidoo Active Member Beta test group

Nice...
    curious to see if this sells....there are bazillions of dacs out there and many 9038pro with same specs and the advantage of the new XMOS still needs to be verified.

The interesting on the DAC market would be a multichannel DAC (minimum 6 channels) as there are very few of the sort. Whilst it remains absolute niche and the vast majority available recordings are classical DSD downloads the usage of a multichannel DAC would also allow to use it for decoding multichannel formats on video.

As said curious to see how that one goes...

3. Jarrod

Jarrod Member

I was considering one of the eversolos to replace a schiit lyr 3 multibit but might wait

4. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Mine will be delivered Monday - then the fun will begin :D

5. Jarrod

Jarrod Member

Which model did you go with?

6. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Gone for the Z8 - not sure of the relevance of a NEO anymore (if indeed I ever did think about one), after @Nice Monkey says the NEO (Alpha, I think) won't respond to the Android OS or menus - Hmm - further evidence that pairing an external DAC is the way to go. But we will see, when I have a play with the Z8 and compare its sound to that of my Gustard X-16

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
  7. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I got my Z8 earlier in the week and have been trying very hard to wire it to my Zidoo Z1000 Pro in such a way so that I could use the two front USB ports to connect both my Gustard X-16 DAC and the Z8. They both work but not whilst both are switched on. What I want to do is compare the two DACs by a single remote button press (using the input buttons on my AVR) but for some reason the DAC that is playing blocks the signals from the other port.

Has anyone got any ideas here please? I have tried a USB Splitter (which has a so called chip inside it) and using just one port but the same thing happens. @Nice Monkey - I'm thinking you might know what to do given you review a lot of Audio gear? My intention then is to do a review.

8. Topdude

Topdude Active Member

I'm on the fence for a good DAC and more or less made my choice for a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200.
    Until I saw the EverSolo 6 and 8.

Now what?

Chipset wise, which is the better player? Do the dual chips in the Cambridge do a better job than de dual in the 6 or is the Pro version in the 8 the way to go?

The DacMagic doesn't have an app to control it, which I think is a bummer.

I any case I want to be able to hook up some good headphones. Seinheiser 660.

9. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Potentially the Z8 is the better player, with more tech than the Z6 but I really want to compare my Z8 with the Gustard X-16 with an almost instant a/b test. Just now my AVR's got confused too, the same thing as before with two signals, so am thinking this isn't possible.

But that's my issue - @Topdude I suggest you research - have a look at the Audiosciencereview forum and search EverSolo. Zidoo have apparently ( @mirror ) promised to send Amir a Z8 for testing. I'm hoping this is carried through. He is the one guy who tests unsubjectively imho.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    Topdude likes this.
  10. Topdude

Topdude Active Member

Ok, thanks for your reply.

forgot to mention I want to feed the dac with usb from my z1000pro.

11. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

You are welcome.

As in my case - auditioning an SACD rip of The New World Symphony with the New York Phil, conducted by Leonard Bernstein - played it yesterday but it sounded rather warbling in parts - I didn't know if it was a bad recording or the Z8. But it sounds wonderful right now, in fact marvellous tbh. So put yesterday's audition down to the issue with 2 signals

12. Topdude

Topdude Active Member

Just to inquire: sound level from the usb input is quite low. I have cranked up gain in my amp to the maximum plus 8 and still I need to almost max out volume to get some decent sound from my speakers.
    Could this be the highly insufficient Dac I have now, or is it the Zidoo?

13. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Not had the problem with the 3 DACs I've messed about with so think it's more likely your DAC - what make/model is it?

14. Topdude

Topdude Active Member

A very old Musical Fidelity V90 DAC

15. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Sorry - I missed your signature, my bad. Well - not sure if this will help you but in your DAC's manual it states: -

"This device is a high speed serial data processor, and by its nature, requires a very high volume of USB bandwidth. It will benefit greatly from being the only device connected on its USB ‘port’. Sharing the same port with other devices may cause unwanted artefacts such as dropouts or temporary loss of signal. This especially includes the use of the DAC on a USB hub/splitter alongside other USB components."

Don't think this is relevant to you but bang on for me - so I conclude I'm going to get nowhere with sharing a USB signal from the Z1000 Pro :(

16. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Wonder if the USB 3.0 port would be better?

17. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Come on Netherlands!

18. Topdude

Topdude Active Member

They were horrendously bad.

19. Topdude

Topdude Active Member

@Nice Monkey In your, by my standards, expert opinion on hifi gear, which would you rate higher as a DAC:
    The Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200, or the new EverSolo Z6/8?

20. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

England were just as bad :(:(:(. Why Foden didn't play, I'll never know

Topdude likes this.