Recommended Settings and other useful stuff for RTD 1619DR Players

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Oct 21, 2020.

1. kosta88

kosta88 New Member

Hello,
    I have recently bought Z9x and Vrroom (due to my receiver not handling HDR (SR7009 from 2015). However, I am having little bit of hard time understanding everything and what do I need to get an optimal picture quality. I hope it's OK to post settings here so someone can take a look at it (Markswift2003?).
    I also already checked the posted PDFs, this is where I have my settings from. One thing that I noticed is that I never(?) get 444 12bit for instance for SDR. That should be so, no?

These are my Vrroom settings:

upload_2022-11-13_9-46-18.png

upload_2022-11-13_9-46-33.png

upload_2022-11-13_9-46-46.png

upload_2022-11-13_9-47-4.png

upload_2022-11-13_9-47-23.png

upload_2022-11-13_9-47-38.png

upload_2022-11-13_9-47-55.png

In Zidoo I have following set:
    Audio: RAW
    Color Settings:
    4K 50-60Hz: Priority YUV420 10BIT
    4K 23-30Hz: Priority YUV444 10BIT
    non-4K: Priority YUV444 8BIT
    HDMI Range: Auto
    HDR: DVLL (the new menu item that appeared, or I use DV VS10 (for SDR only)
    Resolution: Auto (I tried 4K+23Hz, see no benefit)
    EDID on Zidoo is turned off.

My output device is JVC NZ7. Input material is both SDR, HDR and DV MKVs.
    In my beamer I set the auto-mode to switch automatically between SDR and HDR10(+) and BT2020.

Beside that I also have an issue that these settings are not saved on my Vrroom upon reboot. Even saving/reloading config doesn't help.

Thank you.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Vrrrroooooom settings look fine but they should stick through a reboot so I'd take that up with HDRFury*.

You haven't set YUV444 12-bit as a preference but then neither do you want to - all that does is bit pad and take up needless HDMI bandwidth without any reason to. (Note that LLDV is always in 12-bit 422 with that EDID, which is correct, and LLDV settings are not affected by the colour settings above)

Set HDMI Range to 16-235.

The benefit of 4K23 is that you reduce resyncs and also, if using LLDV this will output (as you show above) in 12-bit 422 and for some people (I assume not you) that can be problematic because it's at full chat (600MHz for HDMI 2) - so if there is any weakness in the HDMI chain, it will show as blackouts.

I would also use this EDID - it's more accurate and has HDR10+:

https://mega.nz/file/FCJRjTbR#LFWDK1DX6Xzn4tn3IIg6WTsPpfH4-yStvPayZ0H0FO8 **

* Just had a thought - it may be that the settings are sticking, it's just that some settings don't persist in the GUI when opening/closing it. For example, the settings in the HDR Metadata Generator reset to default in the GUI but the settings in the device persist - it's just lazy coding.

** Note that when loading custom EDIDs into HDFury devices there's another example of crap coding where the EDID name does not reflect what you loaded - you just have to remember what went in which slot.

3. kosta88

kosta88 New Member

Hi,
    thanks for your reply.
    One thing bothers me, now that I've seen it. In "CONSTRUCT CUSTOM DOLBY VISION DATA BLOCK (for advanced users only):" there is a description saying: "Generates a 12-byte DV Version 2 Data Block. Select AUTOMIX with CUSTOM STRING -flag to activate." If I understand this correctly, if I set up Custom EDID (I loaded your provided file at slot 1), then it doesn't matter what I set on DV page. Right?
    So I only have HDR/AVI page which might be relevant.
    Here I do have to check "Use custom HDR for TX0 and TX1 when input is LLDV", otherwise I get no HDR output, if I remember correctly.
    I asked about the settings in "HDR METADATA GENERATOR:" on Discord, they told me the same thing: written to memory and forgotten on browser refresh and/or reboot.

So in sum:
    I set Custom EDID and load your file in first slot.
    HDR/AVI as posted above.
    DV might as well leave it be or ignore?
    In Zidoo:
    HDR -> Auto (or LLDV?)
    Resolution -> 4k/23Hz
    HDMI Range 16-235

On by beamer I will also set 16-235 fixed. Rest is auto and frame adapt HDR (dynamic tone mapping).

One thing I find is that a picture is pretty dark. As I said, never had much to do with HDR, so not sure if that's normal, but is that something Vrroom might be causing due to wrong settings on the HDR/AVI page?

4. Markswift2003

Exactly - as long as you have "Custom" selected and not "Automix" on the EDID page.

Yes - the beamer doesn't know what LLDV is, but it's the same signal as HDR10 when you set the primaries to BT.2020 which is why we fool the beamer into going into its HDR mode.

If you set HDR to Auto, everything will be native, including Dolby Vision and the PJ will sort it out

If you set HDR to LLDV, the Zidoo converts SDR and HDR to LLDV as well as outputting Dolby Vision natively as above.

Again the beamer sorts LLDV out because the Vrroom tells it that it's an HDR signal coming in..

No, the image shouldn't be dark, it should be bright and vibrant. Can't see anything in the Vrroom setup that would do that - you're using 1000nit LLDV EDID and the HDR message is set to 1000nit so they match...

5. DesertDog

DesertDog New Member

I can confirm that your speculation is correct from experience with my HDFury. For at least the HDR and DV settings they're write only. Their display resets to the default when your refresh the browser window. I never figured out why those are that way while most other settings are live values. Probably either lazy or an issue with reverse engineering the string that's being sent.

6. Ozzyoz

Ozzyoz Member

7. Markswift2003

It's the same, with the addition of HDR10+.

Ozzyoz likes this.
  8. vddan

vddan Active Member

In 'LLDV' the addition of HDR10+ is what ??

9. Markswift2003

The EDID also supports HDR10+

10. vddan

vddan Active Member

Ok thank you, but then on the zidoo we adjust how:
    -Auto
    -everything VS10
    -or lldv 12 bits ......?

11. Markswift2003

Not sure what you mean.

12. vddan

vddan Active Member

So, with this Edid we adjust the zidoo?

13. Markswift2003

Depends how you want to view SDR, HDR10, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision and what display you have.

This EDID just adds HDR10+ support so it's possibly useful for people who want to use the LLDV trick who have displays that support HDR10+ (and obviously not DV - eg. Samsung TVs and later JVC projectors).

It will have no effect on displays that don't support HDR10+.

14. vddan

vddan Active Member

Ok I understood so for me I keep my usual LLDV with your New Edid!
    Have a good day

Markswift2003 likes this.
  15. Andy Lim

Andy Lim New Member

Hi Mark,
    Some help needed.

My setup: Z1000Pro/Chromecast w GoogleTV -> DenonX3500 -> SamsungQN90B

I used your HDR10+ only (no LLDV) EDID and im getting HDR, HDR10+ and VS10 DV logos displayed from Zidoo based on my source. But my TV still shows only HDR (notHDR10+). This is because of my receiver not supporting HDR10+ right?

Another issue is with this EDID on Zidoo (HDMI1), now my Chromecast streamer (HDMI2) does not send HDR signal to the TV when I play Nflx 4K HDR content. Any way to fix the chromecast no HDR signal issue?

Thx in advance for your inputs.

16. Markswift2003

Yes, exactly - The 3500 doesn't support HDR10+. I have an X7200 connected to a Samsung display and have the same problem.

The EDID in the Zidoo can only affect the Zidoo - it can't affect sources connected to a different HDMI port on the Denon. The only way that could happen is if you have an HDFury device connected downstream of the Denon - ie on the Denon HDMI out.

Andy Lim likes this.
  17. Nathan W

Nathan W Member

Does anyone know what the High performance mode in developer settings actually does? Is it clocking higher or for longer, or just speeding up animation time?

18. Andy Lim

Andy Lim New Member

Hi Mark, the Denon HDMI out is directly to the TV. Somehow the 4k60hz Chromecast color format was downgraded to 420:8 hence no HDR. Based on your inputs, i focused troubleshooting just on the Chromecast and found out that the Denon HDMI is set on 'standard' instead of 'enhanced'. Setting back to enhanced solves the issue! Thx for pointing out the EDID has no impact on other HDMI ports!
    Also, I guess no HDR10+ until the next Denon upgrade haha. Thx again for your help!

19. Andy Lim

Andy Lim New Member

Hi again, Mark, some new questions on HDR modes on the Zidoo. I watch most content on native SDR/HDR10 now.

As for my DV content, what is the difference between VS10 only and DV LLDV? Is LLDV for a SDR only TV? I want to make sure im using the optimal mode for DV on non-DV TV.
    Im currently using VS10 (DV content only). Is VS10 for HDR10 better then native?

Thx!

20. kovacsgergely83

kovacsgergely83 New Member

Is it just me and my Z9X with FW v6.4.42, or are online TRAILERS in PosterWall (Home Theater 4) are also very low resolution for you as well?
    When viewing in the small viewport in the movie info page, it is already quite pixelated, and has compression atrifacts, but when I'd try to watch fullscreen it looks awful...

Would it help, if I'd install a google-enabled "_G" FW and install Youtube app as well from Google Play (as far as I've understood the native YT app works up to 4K)?

315554399_8236050833133436_7643187939712406977_n.jpg