EDID thread (RTD1619DR players)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Colmas

Colmas New Member

I had a similar problem last night. I have the custom Rec709 EDID as suggested by @Markswift , with VS10 set for all content. All good for a few weeks until I powered it on last night, everything, including menus looked washed out. I played a few videos, and they were being output as Rec 2020, with my PJ now defaulting to HDR mode. This I think explains why everything was washed out. I reset the PJ to standard Rec 709, went into the Zidoo settings and checked that the custom EDID for Rec 709 was selected, which it was. I turned off the custom EDID, waited for the resync, and then turned it back on again for the Rec 709 EDID. The image quality was restored, and everything was output as Rec 709. Watched a few videos, and the quality was excellent. BTW I Have Z9x - Yamaha 3070 receiver - JVC X5500

This has happened twice now in the past month or so, and it's obvious when it happens due to the washed-out images. It appears that the custom EDID is not always sticking but is pretty easy to fix.

Cheers

TV11 likes this.
  2. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

1. Yes.. I swapped out the 5200 Denon for a newer 6200 which is HDMI 2.0 HDR/Dolby Vision capable...

2. YES, loaded, selected and Custom EDID switched on.

3. Yes

4. Not a cold restart, I always use Warm restart... Power OFF option selected.. not Standby.

5. Yes

6a. When I checked the Zidoo Display menu settings, I believe the normal HDR options were all there.. but can't be quite certain.

6b. What first clued me in , was that my opening Zidoo Menu screen maybe looked just slightly different?... When I hit the INFO button on my Epson, it showed it was receiving a constant BT2020 signal (instead of the normal BT709, YUV 422 SDR signal) and thus it had switched into HDR mode. Pretty sure when I checked with INFO button of the Zidoo, it confirmed the HDR output as well.

Next time, I will definitely document with photos. This has happened a couple of times now using my Old Denon Custom EDID feature... i just figured that somehow the Zidoo was detecting that my system actually is HDR capable and confused it somehow.

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I've tried everything to replicate this and just can't and it's not something you can debug because it happens on boot - the only way I can think to debug would be through UBoot and that's, er, problematic :D

But yes, if it happens again, some screenshots would be useful - really can't think what would cause this and I can't help thinking a factory reset would fix it. But think carefully what you need to backup and what settings need to be changed back if you do that...

4. DTSman

DTSman New Member

5. Markswift2003

TV11 likes this.
  6. DTSman

DTSman New Member

Thanks for your work Mark :)

Markswift2003 likes this.
  7. Markswift2003

8. Eric Rozzell

Eric Rozzell New Member

I have a shield pro and a Zidoo Z9X input to a Denon X4700 which feeds my JVC NZ9. My HDD stores Mkv rips accessed through hardwire cat6 into both Zidoo and shield. I am trying to see the benefits of the z9X primarily with sending LLDV. Otherwise the picture with the shield is awesome.

Zidoo is set to match frame rate only and I’ve tried many of the VS10 settings. Not much talk about the mapping selection in Zidoo here. It did well, but a bit over saturated IMO. Also what is it? Does the Z9X and not the PJ do the mapping? What’s Mapping inVS 10 then? C245DFF5-6CCF-44E6-B484-ED85202DD6F5.jpeg 849F90DD-45D0-47AE-A691-2DFC820A2FE2.jpeg

I also have not touched the EDID. No idea which one on page 1 here to use in my situation. The projector also has a AB and C selections for EDID. Confusing.
    I’d appreciate any help from those in the know, and with similar setups.

TV11 likes this.
  9. Markswift2003

Not really sure what the question is, but with your setup, ostensibly you'd expect to use HDR Auto because the NZ9 is excellent at dealing with SDR and HDR.

That would mean that SDR, HDR10(+), DV Profile 7/8 would all be output natively (in the case of P7/8 DV, the base layer is used). For DV Profile 5, VS10 converts to HDR10.

However, if you want to fiddle, there's some mileage to be had from trying, as you suggest, LLDV and also VS10 SDR. As I've said before, the best HDR any projector can muster is SDR so something has to tone map and VS10 is rather good at it. But it's a bit of a learning curve...

10. Eric Rozzell

Eric Rozzell New Member

005548A4-C6FC-4FCB-9B4D-B85CB90F31FD.jpeg
    Just wonder about the mapping feature, and which EDID settings to use or even if I need to try an EDID.

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
  11. Markswift2003

That's the one absolutely positively not to use!

That uses the Realtek engine to convert SDR to HDR10 and the colourspace conversion from 709 to 2020 is terrible. Tone mapping isn't bad, but it's not as good as VS10. HDR10 is passed through and DV (profile 5) is converted using VS10.

If you want everything in HDR10 then use VS10 engine for all content - if you don't use a custom EDID, because the PJ EDID is HDR, that means VS10 converts everything to HDR10.

You only need to use a custom EDID if you want to use LLDV or convert everything to SDR.

12. Eric Rozzell

Eric Rozzell New Member

Ok, no that’s why I posted some scene examples. The lower right screen grab with mapping was oversaturated.
    I will probably end up using VS10 for all content (until I can’t stand the fan on high) as well as trying out a custom EDID for DV movies.

I have an HDfury Vertex2 still in the box, but not sure if it’ll be worth the bother inserting it in the system.
    Thanks for your help.

13. Markswift2003

If you have it there, I thoroughly recommend connecting it - it will make using LLDV a whole lot easier, and even if you don't, it's worth every penny and then some just for diagnostics and knowing what's going where and why.

14. Eric Rozzell

Eric Rozzell New Member

Ok, I’ll give it a shot. So many settings. So much info in the forums.
    Good stuff.
    I’ll be back with questions though!

15. Eric Rozzell

Eric Rozzell New Member

That’s it, I want to use LLDV. Which custom EDID? Or do I just try the Sony one?
    How can I tell if my mkv rips are profile5?

16. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

On the subject of EDID what software shows the EDID details of a TV for example? Or when you download the EDID from the Zidoo?

17. Andy Lim

Andy Lim New Member

I just received my zidoo z1000pro (bought this to get dynamic HDR to my samsung display) and while setting up, opened a canned of worms :). I would like to consult the forum on the best HDR settings for below setup:

Here is my setup:
    zidoo z1000pro (I watch all DV, HDR10, HDR10+ sources) > denon 3500 (no hdr10+ passthru support?) > samsung qn90b (no DV)

1) Is there a way with custom EDID to push HDR10+ to my display?
    2) For HDR10+ and DV, should i use VS10 to get dynamic HDR on the display? also with EDID?

Thx!

18. Markswift2003

Eric Rozzell likes this.
  19. Markswift2003

pcristi and Netmask like this.
  20. Michael McCash

Michael McCash New Member

OK, I've trawled a number of pages and searched but not sure I've found the answer or understood it :p

I'm using an Epson TW9400 and a Denon X3700h. The TW9400 is HDR10 capable and supports BT.2020. I'm playing a mixture of HDR10, HDR10+ and DV UHDs.

What EDID do I use and what settings for the best HDR image, without washed-out colours or being very dark? For example, using the stock BT.2020 custom EDID it becomes very dark (HOTD is unwatchable for example).

The projector has been professionally calibrated prior to the Zidoo unit, so am wondering how I ensure I get the best image out of it now with the Zidoo. Thanks!