Jellyfin AndroidTV Client Thread

Discussion in 'Jellyfin for Zidoo' started by andy22, Jun 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. lawdawg

lawdawg Active Member

I wanted to report what appears to be an issue with direct path playback.

• I have two Libraries - Movies and TV
      • Each of those two libraries have two folders, one for HD content and one for 4k content
        • The Shared Network Folders for the HD content and 4k content are correct
        • In both cases the 4k content is the second folder listed in the libraries
      • Content from the first folder (HD) in the libraries plays fine
      • Content from the second folder (4k) fails to play on the jellyfin client - displaying "can't play video"
    • It appears that direct path playback in the client cannot handle multiple folders and paths for the same movie/show
    • I can verify that the client CAN play files from the 4K folder IF there is not copy of the movie in the HD folder
    • The same 4k file plays fine via the same two folder library when Enable Direct Path is turned off in the client

To test further:
    • I created two new libraries for 4k Movies and 4K TV respectively
      • Each with only one folder pointing to 4k content
      • Each of those 4k libraries use the exact same folder and Shared Network Folder path from the previous two folder path libraries
        • They were a direct cut and paste in both cases
      • Content plays fine from these new libraries

2. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

3. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Well I couldnt get Jellyfin to work anyways... installed it on my computer in the hopes of setting up a server on the computer and then the first thing it asked me for was the server name - well I haven't set it up yet soooooooooooooooo lol guess I will stick with HT4.0 for now and it has full BDMV support so I will stick with it and manually scrap movies as I get time and will eventually get em all done.

4. Enet

Enet Active Member

Thanks for the info. It seems to suggest that Jellyfin can play blu-rays. But I know I can't from the Zidoo client. I click on play and nothing happens. When trying from my MAC running the server webpage from my NAS it at least tries to run it. I get the spinning circle then my NAS starts up trying to do something. I didn't try it on my Jellyfin Kodi PC install because that's not where I want to play my files from. Plus I'm using MPC as an external player which seems to not like Kodi/Jellyfin and regularly crashes.

5. There's plenty of tutorials out there on getting Jellyfin up and running.

6. Hippoponderous

Hippoponderous Active Member

Hi, @andy22.
    I've noticed that if I'm watching something & stop it before completion, it does not appear in the home screen 'Continue Watching' section until I restart the client.

7. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Since I need a dedicated server to run this on, can I use a Shield Pro and run a Jellybin server on it instead? Sorta like PLEX running its server on Shield Pro? And then read and write on that server via Z9X? A long shot but thought I'd ask since this is the only other software that can read full BDMV folders like HT4.0 can.

8. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Nope

B0RN likes this.
  9. Markswift2003

It's a damn shame - I'd like to do that too...

10. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Indeed. Only other option is to get a NAS and run a legit server, soooooooo expensive building from scratch when you already have 50TB of data already on external drives!

11. Markswift2003

I have a workstation running Squeezebox and Linn music servers so I just put Jellyfin on that.

12. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

Mark totally wrong thread but do you use a zidoo as a squeezebox player? If so how? Upnp?

13. Markswift2003

No, Sorry - I use Logitech and Raspberry Pi devices. I could also use Linn DS to access the squeezebox server but I don't.

14. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

I do have a RPi Zero - probably won't have enough power to cut it as a server, especially since there's no Ethernet connection on it?

15. Markswift2003

You'd really need at least a Pi4 but it looks like such a mithering nuisance I think I'd rather poke a stick in my eye!!

TV11 and B0RN like this.
  16. Jauschua Stout

Jauschua Stout New Member

Hi, @andy22,

Thank you for all your hard work bringing Jellyfin to Zidoo players. It is great to have the benefit of both the enhanced player capabilities and the multi-seat feature of Jellyfin. I am new to Jellyfin, having bounced between Plex and Emby over the years, so I may just not be seeing the option I want, but is there a way to jump to a specific part of the library? I have a few thousand movies, so scrolling until I get to Thor takes a minute. On the mobile Jellyfin app, it has the letters on the side much like Plex does on the TV app which allows me to jump straight to T. How can I configure your app with this option? And if it currently is not available, can you please add it to your todo list?

Much appreciated!

TV11 likes this.
  17. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Haha fair enough, time to invest in some Synology NAS and hard drives then. I am looking at close to $1200 to be up and running, worth the future proofing I suppose.

18. Hippoponderous

Hippoponderous Active Member

Hi, @andy22.
    With this latest beta (v0.14.9), watched movies do not appear in the home screen 'Latest Media' section. This option is enabled on the server & my other clients display watched movies on the home screen.
    Watched movies are displayed in 'Latest Media' when viewed in 'My Media'>'Movies' (smart screen enabled).

19. Cyclone99

Cyclone99 New Member

$1200 for a full NAS setup seems like overkill just to run Jellyfin if you already have the content on 50TB of drives. What are the drives connected to now? Jellyfin can run on so much different hardware, especially since you shouldn't need transcoding.

20. HDGuy

HDGuy Active Member

I have basically the same setup, just 42TB on a NAS with no need for transcoding. Jellyfin is missing a few key features for me like labels for Dolby Vision,HDR10+ and Atmos which basically has me sticking with HT4.0.