General Question about Storage (HDD USB vs Internal Drive) Zidoo 1000Pro

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by VyoleX, Sep 6, 2022.

1. VyoleX

VyoleX New Member

Hello Guys,

I’m about to get a zidoo 1000pro within a month or so. I read a lot about this product and I’m convinced that I will be blown away once I can finally put my hands on one of these.
    But I still do have some questions regarding storage in general. I hope you guys can give some feedback of what works best based on your experiences.

I thought off once I have this player to wether use the internal bay HDD slot, (the model I was thinking off in this case would be the Wd red plus 14tb model in particular) or an external 14tb HDD model via USB 3.0.
    I need this much of capacity because after ripping my current collection sits roughly about 4,5 tb at the moment.
    Later down the road I’m planning to get a NAS system but not within the next two years probably.
    As far as I used to do the ripping process, I do a bit for bit clone of the main movie wether it’s a 4k disc or general blu ray as ISO with all HD sound formats in tact.

So my question is, is there a significant difference in playback in HT4 between using a internal vs external?
    Does an external USB Drive has its limitations compared to an internal considering playback?
    Will there be stutters or other possible limitations with using one over each other?
    Sorry for my noobie questions but I really hope you guys can give some valid answers on this one.

Greetings from Germany ✌️

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
  2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Use both SATA and USB3 and both work great with no real performance differences for playback observed by me. Alo using SMB Server it does not matter.

Phil181 likes this.
  3. VyoleX

VyoleX New Member

Ok that’s good to know.
    Several weeks ago I stumbled across some posts from users in this forum regarding playback issues with an external HDD, randomly shutting off power while playing etc.
    But you have never experienced any of these things with your external HDD right?
    I then might switch to that instead

4. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

I have a DAS with 4 HDDs used in individual mode and an external SSD plugged all the time to the USB ports of the Zidoo, and I have no issue.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
    Onwrathz likes this.
  5. Nice Monkey

Read this for PSU sizing using unpowered 2.5 HDD's.
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...9x-z10-pro-z1000-pro-uhd3000-neo-a-s-x.80434/
    The Z1000 Pro should not have problems there.

6. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

In my case HDD via USB3 and SATA are working fine in my Z9X as well. Fast and no issues at all. Only USB3 copy process to HDD or SATA is a bit slow.

7. VyoleX

VyoleX New Member

Thank you all for these quick and helpful responses!
    I’ll then probably go for an external HDD solution instead.

8. VyoleX

VyoleX New Member

On a side note:
    Today my colleague and I (we work at an electrical store) wanted to test a MKV file via usb with a DolbyTrueHD Atmos Track on a TV with soundbar connected which is able to process this signal. But we’ve only got Dolby digital downmix version. I’m presuming that the internal Mediaplayer of the tv is not capable of passthrough atmos signal even if every setting for it had been enabled. But hopefully this won’t happen once I have the zidoo while accessing my media mainly via USB. I do have an Atmos AVR which get the bitstream signal of my current devices.

9. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Yes, you can check your TV feature and find it. I've got a Samsung Qled 2018 which not able to passthrough Atmos contents but same model is able from 2019. As far as you use an Atmos AVR, capable HDMI cable and Zidoo you will play back the original contents flawlessly either from USB drive, HDD, SATA, NAS or DAS.

10. VyoleX

VyoleX New Member

Update for those who interested:
    I finally received my Z9X yesterday and I couldn’t be happier with it.
    Like you guys already told me, it plays everything I throw at it like a charm. It’s so amazing.
    Even the GUI works almost buttery smooth and once you set up all your collection via HT4 there’s no deny that this one was one of the best home theater investments I could take.
    Thanks all your guys once again now it’s time to go out and spread the word because this company deserves way more recognition.

rozel likes this.
  11. Nice Monkey

Yes above all entry models are imcredible value for money. Even my problem list is getting very short.

Think so too. Do my best to spread the word. :D

12. Onwrathz

Onwrathz New Member

Odd questions, but is there a benefit to connecting a DAS (Direct Access Storage) to the Sata side port rather than via USB3.0? The DAS I am looking at has a USB connection (USB Type C from DAS to USB Type A for the device), so what cable do you need? All the USB cables to SATA port that I can find all have the data and power connection. Since the DAS already has power is this a problem? I know you can just plug the USB in but was wondering if SATA side port had a benefit over USB.

Also, will the Zidoo see a DAS with 20+TB array?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  13. Nice Monkey

What do you call a DAS? Is this a USB housing with a bunch of individual HDD's in it or using a RAID controller for the total chassis?

I do call the first USB Docking Stations and have a 5-slot and even a 10-slot myself (Icy Box). There is no difference with these than using USB drives other than that these never do any sector or other translations in the USB/ATA bridge. They work the same as direct SATA attachments. I like Plug & Play with my HDD's effectively using in-flight Eject's and next swaps and also powering off HDD's not being actively used. My dockings have individual power button's per Quick Loading slot. Obviously these docking stations use there own (big) PSU. No problem using external PSU's and USB3 is fast even very fast resulting in the HDD Drive itself being the limiting factor never the USB3 interface.

There are also USB Dockings with RAID controllers build in. from the outside looking the same. These present like NAS in RAID modes all HDD's as a single HDD with the aggregated RAID capacity (simplest mode being JBOD) via USB. Never tried these myself but I think these will just work under Android with no total size limitation (using NTFS or EXT4). For me these are not flexible enough.

14. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

You can do both of them + JBOD. To give you an example coming from Qnap :

https://www.qnap.com/en/product/tr-004

15. Nice Monkey

16. Onwrathz

Onwrathz New Member

That is the one I bought. From what I read once you set it up, it functions as a hardware raid, so hopefully will work on Zidoo. I will find out soon enough.

17. Nice Monkey

Please share the outcome with us.

Onwrathz likes this.
  18. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

You can set it up with physical buttons at the rear of the box to put it in RAID, JBOD, individual (by default) or under control of the app.

19. Onwrathz

Onwrathz New Member

Hi Temearoo, Have you run into any issues with the HDDs sleeping? Heard the time coming out of sleep could be long. Will know tomorrow. If there is any advice on this topic, I am all ears. I have NAS drives, so maybe that limits sleep? I assume the QNAP may be potential culprit to put the drives to sleep. More to come. Actually now that I type this, I think there is a function in Zidoo related to this as well. Will have to check all avenues on this topic. Also, maybe if you set up the device with the "External RAID Manager utility" and in that software tell the QNAP to not enter standby or sleep mode, it will remember that on device??? Just hoping there is a solution for a potential problem.

20. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

When you use the individual mode of the DAS, the longer is when you start the zidoo, time for it to check all the HDDs in the DAS (it’s way faster when the DAS is plugged to a PC. I have a second one and I can see the difference between the Zidoo and the PC). You will have to wait a minute or so for the model with 4 bays (the TR-002 with 2 bays is faster). After, no problem, the Zidoo access to all of them instantly. The Qnap goes in sleep mode when you turn off your Zidoo.

I didn’t try in RAID mode but I think that it could be faster as all the HDDs will be seen as one by the Zidoo.

Nice Monkey and Onwrathz like this.