Jellyfin AndroidTV Client Thread

Discussion in 'Jellyfin for Zidoo' started by andy22, Jun 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Yeah I can do that too if I set 7 posters across and click the arrow every second or so, but try to scroll quickly and even with 7 across it still chokes..

2. Nathan W

Nathan W Member

Hmm yeah I've never noticed that. I guess if I'm browsing I'm looking so I'm going "slowly" or I know what i want then I select the letter of film at the top

3. lawdawg

lawdawg Active Member

Some examples of the compressed vertical nature of the home screen on the latest client.

Prior to the latest update
    upload_2022-10-27_14-17-42.png

New client
    upload_2022-10-27_14-18-33.png

New client movie details screen (a lot going on visually here, especially when you stick a background behind things, some spacing between "rows" would be great, IMO. Even if it means you have to scroll down to get to lesser used information/items.)

upload_2022-10-27_14-21-5.png

4. lawdawg

lawdawg Active Member

While I'm whining and asking for things ;) - could we get a more subtle color option for the episode counts? The blue circle is sort of in your face, especially on the TV poster wall where you have them on every poster, same thing for the blue check mark when something has been watched. Could we get some different color options for those, similar to how we can change the Card-Focus border color?

5. Hippoponderous

Hippoponderous Active Member

I much prefer the larger My Media option from the previous beta's

6. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

Maybe we could drop the font size down a bit on the homescreen. I would like a bit more horizontal spacing. Visually I preferred it before.

7. Fattykidd

Fattykidd New Member

Guess I'm the odd man out.. I much prefer the new home screen.
    I can see the same amount of media without needing to scroll 3 times..
    I personally like being able to read the plot and see who the cast is at the same time.

I tried the previous client and uninstalled a few moments later. I'll be sticking with the new one because of the new layout. Much more appealing to me.

8. lawdawg

lawdawg Active Member

I can appreciate that perspective for sure. Different strokes and all that. Maybe an option to set the spacing between sections/rows so you can make the screen as dense or open as you like?

Fattykidd likes this.
  9. andy22

andy22 Active Member

Sure, but i start to notice a trend. On nearly every aspect of the layout size/color/space.... everyone has different preferences. So we will end-up with several dozen of settings options, which is not ideal. No idea how to solve this growing settings permutation hell....

That's not how it looks/behaves for me, but i test with a smaller "dev" library. Will try to merge into a larger testlib and see if i can reproduce this behavior.

I noticed this too and might have fix in the next hotfix/beta.

That was and is already the case. We use Glide which uses several different caching strategies, memory + disk. So images should only be loaded remotely from the server once and than always come from the local disk or memory cache.
    Need to double-check if everything works as expected.

Did you try/see the new home-size option? The "large" setting should mimic the old home-layout.

Guess proves my first point, i disliked the old layouts mainly because of all the wasted space. Yet adding a option similar to the "card-spacing" like "row-spaceing" is not this complicated.
    I also disliked that thumb/poster used the same row-height, despite being different aspects, so the actual card-area was vastly different.

What is complicated and takes a lot of testing/time is actually deciding how many rows and the type/size of row you want to display per screen. So while i can just make the header container bigger for more vertical separation, now we end-up with a row at the bottom that is only partially visible.
    Each screen is a little different, so as seen i tend to like more compact layouts and decided to adjust the layout for 2-3 rows per screen, yet others like 1-2 rows.... maybe i can come-up with option that i can consistently calculate/apply per layout screen, so you get those 2 distinct spacing/sizes.

Was already planing this for the next beta, atm you can switch the "Theme" which essentially now only sets the shape/color of those card-badges aka called "Accent color". There are so little actual "Theme" differences now, that my plan was to move the remaining hardcoded settings out of the "Themes" and converted the themes itself to just presets you can quickly apply.

PS: Will focus on the performance issues as seen in the clips first, since that is really rough. One issue is that i test 95% on PC via emulator, since its much faster than installing/starting/debugging on the Zidoo itself, especially since i use slower debug builds. So i might have missed something that behaves differently or is more cpu intense on the actual device.

Oh and i also learned my lesson no to get caught-up trying to solve/change multiple things at once, hence beta11 development was hell at the end and as a result there are also more issues. Will revert back to the old cadence of quick/smaller updates that are more manageable for me.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
  10. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Just added a small library (60 titles) and the effect is similar but obviously nothing like as pronounced because you have very few screens of posters.

11. Fattykidd

Fattykidd New Member

Is there a way during media playback to have a movie info screen popup ?

12. lawdawg

lawdawg Active Member

I'll snag a screenshot, but I believe that setting just made the cards bigger, it didn't actually increase any of the space between the sections.

13. lawdawg

lawdawg Active Member

My memory was correct, screenshots to help illustrate things. Spacing between what I am calling rows does not increase as you change the Home-screen size.

Screenshot_20221028-114126.png

Screenshot_20221028-114020.png

Screenshot_20221028-114053.png

For comparison here are screenshots from the jellyfin webclient on my pc

upload_2022-10-28_14-11-17.png

14. Fattykidd

Fattykidd New Member

Where'd you get a disc copy of "Don't worry darling" ? BluRay .com is saying release date is November 29..

15. Hippoponderous

LOL. Isn't it obvious? @lawdawg is actually Olivia Wilde.
    (What makes you thing it's a disc copy?)

Six66Mike likes this.
  16. lawdawg

lawdawg Active Member

I'm going to say that poster is from HT4 incorrectly matching "Don't Worry Baby (2015) - IMDb"...

17. Fattykidd

Fattykidd New Member

That's disappointing. Daughter would've been so happy if that was a month early

18. Hippoponderous

19. Oh, you sweet summer child

rozel, Six66Mike and Markswift2003 like this.
  20. mrgo

mrgo New Member

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the new release and a great job

Feedback on initial use

Home Page

(a) "My Media small" home-type
    - Not displaying any text which is an issue as I use the same image multiple times and rely on the text for reference. Would it be possible to have a text overlay option to provide text at the bottom of the button?
    - Like Hippoponderous, I much prefer the larger My Media option from the previous beta's. Can we have a toggle option in the configuration section to select either Larger or Smaller My Media ?

(b) Home Page - Sections
    - The section headers (Latest Movies, etc) does not have enough vertical space between the posters and the menu headers which leads to the screen looking bunched up

(c) Customisation Section
    - Card-Focus zoom size set to 'Large', zooms an image that overlays the 'Menu Headings' on the far left Poster image as there is not enough vertical clearance
    In addition it would be great to have an option to change the position of the 'Default rating type' to other areas on the poster (i.e. Bottom Left, etc)

Overall, a great job

Hippoponderous likes this.