Jellyfin AndroidTV Client Thread

Discussion in 'Jellyfin for Zidoo' started by andy22, Jun 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Swift_gti

Swift_gti New Member

I don't actually have a zidoo box, I use Chromecast, but I came across this whole searching for a better jellyfin Android TV client. The official one has some really annoying issues (like the lack of homescreen scaling options) which as far as I can tell this fork seems to address.

My question is, can this build also be used on other devices such as Google Chromecast? Or are there customisations in the playback side of things that would cause problems for non zidoo devices?

2. lawdawg

lawdawg Active Member

Hi @andy22 - Any chance there is a new Jellyfin client update on the horizon? I think you said some of things you had in the works were dependent on new Zidoo firmware, which I think has arrived.

Hopefully I have waited long enough to not be considered nagging ;)
    And if it feels like nagging, feel free to tell me to back off, its free sofware, I'll get to it when I get to it [​IMG]

3. andy22

andy22 Active Member

Nah its fine, i simply overextended myself too much. So instead of doing some smaller changes, i kept changing/adding too much and as a result my current change-set is massive, which introduced all kinds of side-effects...
    I hope i can fix the remaining issues in the next week.

Currently the Zidoo playback-path is hardcoded, so wont work with other devices.
    I need to rebrand my client anyway, so at some point in the future i will change the client to work on all devices, so Zidoo devices just get "premium" playback support.

4. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

Good things take time :)

lawdawg likes this.
  5. Swift_gti

Swift_gti New Member

Thanks for confirming, I look forward to being able to take advantage of your updates to the app so will be keeping an eye on your repo

6. Scavenger

Scavenger New Member

Just downloaded/installed the beta10 client on my Z9X, and have encountered a couple of bugs. All my movies start at the stopping point of the most recently played movie, eg. if I stopped movie A at the 7min mark, and start movie B, movie B would start at the 7min mark, even if I had never started watching movie B before. Seems as if the time save marker is not tied to the specific movie being watched.

Another bug is that for some movies, they would play fine from the beginning, but if I fast forward, they would freeze or stutter. I couldn't identify any patterns with these problematic movies via mediainfo. They play/fast forward fine when playing from HT4 or ZDMC. I also looked at the jellyfin log, and it didn't show anything abnormal.

7. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

Strange, Ive been using it for several months and its worked flawlessly for me with resume points shared across 3 Zidoos and all seeking etc perfect.

8. andy22

andy22 Active Member

Thats weird, which device and which FW version?

Is this with default http or did you setup SMB/NFS + direct path/play?

9. Scavenger

Scavenger New Member

I'm running the beta10 client on Z9x, and jellyfin server 10.8.5 on a amlogic s905x3 box via docker. The files are stored on an external drive mounted on the s905x3 box, but I didn't use direct path option (unchecked)

10. andy22

andy22 Active Member

Which Firmware version?

11. Scavenger

Scavenger New Member

6.4.40. After playing with it a bit more, I need to clarify the resume bug. After I play/stop a video, there's an additional "Resume Play" button next to the regular "Play". The "Resume Play" works as expected, ie resuming at the correct time with the corresponding videos. But if I pressed the "Play" button instead, then the resume point is always the stop point of the most recently played video, ignoring the saved resume point ...

12. andy22

andy22 Active Member

mhh do you have "bookmarks" aka Zidoo resume logic enabled in the device settings?
    Need to test this case myself, if you just click "Play" no resume position "should" be send to the Zidoo player, so i suspect the Zidoo player's default device resume logic might kick in on http streams. That's because from the Zidoo player's perspective you always play the same "stream.mkv" file via http.

I might have missed this behavior, since i disabled Zidoo's default resume/bookmark logic, if that's the case i will fix this in the next beta by always sending a 0 "resume" position on default play's.

13. Scavenger

Scavenger New Member

Not sure what you're referring to. I don't remember having explicitly set a bookmark resume logic on my z9x. How/where do i check that? Under "playback/bookmarks", it just shows the display mode (dialog prompt), start (1 min) and end time (7 min) ...

14. Scavenger

Scavenger New Member

Also, for the seeking/freeze bug, I'd like to test out the Direct Play option (using smb/nfs), but I don't know how to set it up inside the docker container. Could you give me some pointers?

15. andy22

andy22 Active Member

Maybe someone else can, i use a simple media server with windows, so no docker.
    In essence you make your JF lib's smb shares and than set this path in the JF server, as show in the help picture here: https://github.com/Andy2244/jellyfin-androidtv-zidoo

16. Nathan W

Nathan W Member

Thank you for making this. Works great. One question I have is, are there any plans to allow seeking to next episode in series. For example with HT 4.0 if you are at the end of the episode and past the last chapter or there are no chapters clicking next on the remote will start the next episode. Currently this just says "operation is not supported" or something like that. If you want me to put this on github I can do that.

Looking forward to seeing seeking support on transcoded video :p

17. andy22

andy22 Active Member

mhh i see what you mean, need to check if the new API supports video queue lists, since this "skip to next" is handled by the zidoo player not the JF logic. I suspect it only works if you send multiple files to the internal player so it has something to skip too. Alternatively i may be able to catch the "next" button action and stop playback + trigger a normal JF "play next" activity.

Will put this on my "wishlist".

Nathan W likes this.
  18. HDGuy

HDGuy Active Member

I run an Unraid server on an old Xeon E3 1226 v3. I don’t do any transcoding at all, just watch in my home. Does Jellyfin on the Z9X offer anything more than what HT4.0 does for me? I have a Shield and Odroid N2 running Coreelec in my bedroom as well,

19. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

The biggest advantage for me is a shared media library with shared watched status.

20. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

And instant syncing to the library. You open the app and all new media is already scanned by the server and visible there.