Recommended Settings and other useful stuff for RTD 1619DR Players

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Oct 21, 2020.

1. dj1515

dj1515 New Member

since i never watch SDR content, can i just leave it on Dolby Vision VS10 for all content?

so it makes a difference having it set to Priority Standard TV-LED?

Do you have your resolution locked to 4k 23?

and match frame rate only?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  2. DIKKE

DIKKE Active Member

Most of the iptv stuff is SDR, and some tv channels. I would not suggest for all content, just for HDR and DV.

Well, since the C2 is capable of decoding that , i would suggest to let the TV decide . I did not do an AB test, but since the C2 is doing fine with TV led, i wil use that.
    What i did find out, is that the C2's interpretation of raw HDR is a bit to much. If the Zx9 does it with the DV engine it is smoother, less hysterical in contrast.

no, no resolution locked. here on Auto. Also here let the Z9x and TV decide whats best. No need to upscale 1080 is the source is good.

match frame & resolution marked on.

Bought this 42 inch to enjoy the dv material. And it is a bloody good screen, i must say, with fast cpu & options. ( no LG stock, and zero profit from LG sales :) )

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
  3. DesertDog

DesertDog New Member

Is there a "Sleep after X minutes of inactivity" setting? I can't figure out how to set it if there is one. It's one of the things I've missed so far from both my AppleTV and Shield.

4. kovacsgergely83

kovacsgergely83 New Member

Hi All, I'd have an HDMI CEC-related question. My Z9X is connected to my AVR that is then connected to my TV. HDMI CEC is enabled on the Z9X, and the volume control is set to control the AVR volume, which it does absolutely fine.
    However, is there a way to get rid of the "Volume Control is acting on AVR via CEC" prompt in the top left corner every time I press either of the volume buttons on the Zidoo remote?

ccart likes this.
  5. Stove

Stove New Member

I’ve been troubleshooting some performance issues on SMB and noticed that the the Z9x is using a read request size of 65535 bytes when accessing a file over SMB either playback or a copy to local storage. In comparison a Win11 client is using a request size of 1M. These have been confirmed on Wireshark.
    This results in a limited throughput of 12-20MB/s on the Zidoo whereas I get 95MB/s on the Windows client. I have tried both Win11 and MacOS as the SMB server and it is the same behaviour.
    Is there a way to increase read request size of the SMB client configuration on Z9X?

6. ccart

ccart New Member

I wonder the same thing! I have not found a way to get rid of it which is annoying as it pops up every time you adjust the volume.

7. Colmas

Colmas New Member

Hi Everyone
    First posting, and new to all things Zidoo. Just today purchased a Z9x, after much procrastination, and spent the last few hours playing around with it. I have a JVC DLA X5500 which has some limited HDR capability. I have used the settings listed in the first post, and the issue I have is that all my movies are showing up dark. I have previously been using a Minix U1 with CoreElec, and the movies look much more vibrant than the Z9x. Obviously, I must have an incorrect setting, but I am uncertain as to what it might be. I have HDR set as VS10 engine for SDR, HDR AND DV. However, the GUI looks to be OK. Additionally, I am getting long HDMI Sync times of 20+ sec and have followed the suggested settings in post 1.

I would also add that movies also show up dark on my Samsung 4K TV.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers from the Land Down Under

8. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Your projector is one year newer than mine. I think at that point JVC had sort of fixed the PQ gamma curve but still hadn't got it right and both our PJs benefit greatly from a custom gamma for HDR.

However, my suggestion is to use SDR Rec.709 because that's what these projectors do best.

1. Switch on Custom EDID (Settings/Display/Custom EDID) and load this EDID:

https://mega.nz/file/dX4wgKAb#523dTeN-tmgPg99aF2uBND89boy_P6VBfnQOH4SMEPw

This fools the Z9X into thinking the projector is an SDR display.

2. Set HDR to "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (For all content)"

This will ensure all output is SDR Rec.709 in accordance with the EDID and will use the VS10 engine to convert all HDR10(+) and Dolby Vision material to SDR Rec.709.

Then choose a standard Rec.709 colour profile in the projector and you're done.

crutzulee likes this.
  9. Colmas

Colmas New Member

Thank you very much for the prompt reply, much appreciated.
    I did all that you suggested, and the picture is definitely improved using the Custom EDID, and VS10 engine for all material. Although, I don't feel that it's a dramatic improvement over my Minix U1. The big advantage of course is that I can now play all HDR formats.

Unfortunately, I was still getting very long HDMI sync times, which I solved by turning automatic refresh rate off. The videos still look ok. If I turn it on, I get 20 - 30 s of blank screen before video starts.

Also, had to set the display resolution at 1080p 60Hz, as I found if I used 4K 24Hz I got no video. Although I did get video previously, before loading the custom EDID.

Not really sure how to further tweak Z9x to improve the picture.

Thanks again

10. Markswift2003

So you're outputting everything at 1080p60???

That's not great - I've no idea why you can't get the PJ to show an image in 4K24 though - there's no reason that shoudn't work as long as you have settings correct.

These would be my recommendations (this is what I use and it works perfectly in SDR):

Playback/Automatic frame rate/Frame rate mode: Switch frame rate only
    Display/HDR: Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (for all content)
    Display/Color Settings/4K 50~60Hz: Priority YUV420 10BIT
    Display/Color Settings/4K 23~30Hz: Priority YUV444 10BIT
    Display/Color Settings/Non-4K: Priority YUV444 8BIT
    Display/Color Settings/HDMI Range: 16-235
    Display/Resolution: 3840x2160p 23Hz

You would still get a resync if you play something other than 23.976 material, but you definitely want auto frame rate on. Other than that, everything is in SDR and everything is either at or upscaled to 4K so no resyncs from dynamic range change or resolution change.

Another thing that's odd - you say you get 20-30s HDMI resync time - my projector is between 12 and 15s but if yours really takes 30s you'd miss the "Ok, Cancel" prompt when you change mode on the Zidoo - that stays on screen for 30s before reverting to the previous mode.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
    crutzulee likes this.
  11. Necrocis

Necrocis New Member

I just received my Z9X this week, so I’m still new to the device. I have a JVC RS400U projector. So you are saying we should use an SDR/709 EDID instead of the LLDV with custom gamma curve and bt2020 color?

12. Markswift2003

Try both - but I'm using VS10 SDR now after a couple of years using LLDV.

13. Necrocis

Necrocis New Member

Used your SDR settings mentioned above, along with the EDID, and black levels are elevated using 16-235. Auto color range makes everything look normal again.

14. Markswift2003

With HDMI Range set to 16-235, set HDR to Auto and then switch to VS10.

15. Necrocis

Necrocis New Member

With SDR output, is there any benefit of DV files over standard HDR files, or even SDR files?

16. Colmas

Colmas New Member

Thanks again for the detailed reply. I have applied the settings exactly as you have indicated.

I can't seem to get 4K24 on my PJ, it now always defaults to 1080p 24. I just get a blank screen, with the text No Input appearing. I have to cycle through the various resolutions to get any image. I have no problem on my Samsung TV, but not on my PJ. I think before I used the custom EDID I was seeing 4K24 on the PJ but not since then. Totally confused now. Although I have to say that the image at 1080p 24 is still quite nice. I would also add, that prior to the custom EDID, any time I played a video the PJ fan ramped up to maximum, making it quite noisy. When exiting the video, the fan returned to normal. This does not happen with the custom EDID.

My HDMI sync has improved and is now around 15s, which is acceptable. I also noticed that there is a pause function in the frame rate section of up to 15s. Is this worth using?

If I could impose on your patience yet again, any further advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards

UPDATE:
    I turned off the custom EDID and used the recommended settings. All worked OK, other than the PJ going into high lamp mode. Easy enough to go back to low mode. I then re-enabled the custom EDID, with the recommended settings. Again, all worked as expected. After a short time, I got a blank screen again. I powered the Z9X off, and back on again. Again, all seemed to work for all of the movies I tried.

Totally confused, and not sure what is going on, but it all seems ok for now. Thanks again for your assistance, and I will keep an eye on the Zidoo over the coming days to see if the problem reappears.

Regards

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
  17. Markswift2003

Excellent question!

In a word - yes.

With DV files the conversion uses the Dolby RPU so the SDR image is dynamically tone mapped. With HDR files, although the tone mapping is good, it can only be based on static HDR metadata. You can see this if you run a DV RPU test like the one below:

https://mega.nz/file/8HZxjA4S#QEJFUo4Dz6ChD0KEtZH2F9Jl4NFnXBXIYbcVrwEpl20

A far as SDR files go it's not so clear cut because for the same release. the Dolby Master is used to produce the SDR deliverable and they're using equipment and decisions far superior to anything we can do as consumers.

However, the Dolby grade is usually superior to the SDR grade and again, given that VS10 is using the RPU, I think you're better using the Dolby grade converted to SDR than simply an SDR grade. Probably ;)

18. Markswift2003

Assuming it's all working as it should now, there's no need to use the pause function because you should rarely see a resync - it's up to you - I don't bother.

19. Necrocis

Necrocis New Member

Just tried this, still looks washed out. Changing input level on projector to standard instead of auto fixes it.

20. Markswift2003

"Standard" would be 16-235.