App similar to HiControl (used with Himedia Q10 Pro)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by SSThing, Aug 30, 2022.

1. SSThing

SSThing Member

I found the HiControl app extremely useful because I could access/control my Himedia device without having to turn on my TV or home cinema amp. The most important feature was the ability to actually see the Himedia screen directly on my tablet and navigate using the airmouse function.
    Is there any app or method to achieve the same for the Zidoo?

Thank you.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Only the Zidoo app.

3. SSThing

SSThing Member

Unfortunately that doesn't have the function to view the live screen.

4. SSThing

SSThing Member

Zank Remote does exactly what I need.
    [​IMG]
    Once installed and setup on both devices, tap the screen icon (circled) and you then get the Zidoo screen mirrored on the phone/tablet screen and just tap/scroll etc.
    [​IMG]
    It makes it so much easier to use apps that don't work well with just the remote control.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    Nice Monkey and dr4go like this.
  5. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Great find:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=zank.remote&hl=nl&gl=US
    Thanks' for reporting this. ;)

Will give it a try for sure.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
    SSThing likes this.
  6. SSThing

SSThing Member

Nice Monkey, please let me know how you get on with this.
    When it's working it's great but I keep having to go through the setup procedure on the Zidoo each time I go back to it (the accessibility option/access keeps turning off).

7. SSThing

SSThing Member

8. Nice Monkey

OK got it working. Needed to enable access on the Zidoo first and next my smartphone found it.
    The touch control works quite well.

9. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I've been watching this thread with keen interest - thanks @SSThing for spotting this software. I have, in the past, searched Google Play Store for an app which allows you to control the Zidoo but without switching your TV and/or your receiver on but I quickly bypassed Zank Remote as after installing, it seemed it was purely for Android TV box and so uninstalled it without trying. It actually installs as Android Remote. This was months ago now.

But you seem to be a genius my friend! - I've bought a couple of new HiFi units in the past few weeks - a new Subwoofer and my first ever Headphone amp. After I read your post, I thought I would wait for Mr @Nice Monkey to give it a run-out before giving it a whirl, which I intend to do very shortly now. I'm fully aware of Android's Accessibility settings - only consideration is - do I install on my Android Tablet or Android Phone? But cannot wait to try it with UAPP through my DAC and Headphone amp - will report further once reviewed :)

10. Nice Monkey

@rozel
    Seen the cloning of the full screen a bigger console is nicer so I suggest to use your Android Tablet for control.

I am quite busy these days so little space for testing. It worked fine yesterday but did not retry after powering down/up.
    May in fact move back to UAPP myself if this works very well (for 2 CH music).

11. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

12. SSThing

SSThing Member

There still seems to be something that turns off the accessibility setting after a while but haven't figured out what.

13. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

14. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

@SSThing and @Nice Monkey - I installed and gave Zank Remote its first run-out yesterday. I had good and bad results together with some questions.
    • It installed quite smoothly and it talked me through the Accessibility settings.
    • I installed on my Tablet first. It confused the hell out of me with the pop-ups regarding the ability to receive control, until I installed on the Zidoo, then matters became clearer. You don't want the Zidoo to control the Tablet but rather the Tablet to control the Zidoo lol!
    • Then it was at first an issue to get the mirrored Zidoo screen on the Tablet until I read @SSThing 's above post and voila!
    • Shut down my TV at this stage
    • Opened UAPP on the Zidoo from my Tablet - setup my DAC and Headphone amp, donned my cans and played a flac and yay! Great stuff played perfectly :) Then I tried an SACD (Shania Twain's Up!) but all I got was hiss - not good.
    • Then I tried playing via MP7 but no matter what quality of file I tried to play, all I got was total silence.
    • But I have experienced the hiss using UAPP before and after playing around with the Tablet, getting used to the way it communicates with the Zidoo, I closed and reopened UAPP and tried again.
    • Then I experienced 2hours of total pleasure, whilst my good lady was asleep in an adjacent chair! I bought the Headphone Amp so as to not wake anyone whilst listening to my music - result!
    • But MP7 still refused give up any sound.
    • I noticed that for the first time I could play DSD512 files - magnificent! Cannot wait until later to play through my speakers :)
    • I also noticed that the signal levels at last tied up on the UAPP's display with the actual quality of the files themselves - I assume that this and the ability to playback DSD512 was implemented with the recent firmware upgrade? - I am on the latest firmware for my Z100 Pro
    • The Mirror'd display on the Tablet wasn't very good - occasionally I was unable to read the playback resolution (bottom left) in UAPP - very blurred with poor resolution quality.
    • Then I shut down UAPP and Zank Remote (or should I say Android Remote as that is the installed name of this software?) on the Zidoo and shut down Zank on my Tablet.
    • Initial impressions - very good!
    Then I hit a massive issue. The useage of Zank totally wiped out my home's WiFi and Ethernet connectivity to all my devices! It took me well over an hour to restore by shutting all my devices off and powering off and on my Router, no less than 3 times. I'm on Sky's Broadband and to complicate matters, using a cell/data connection on my phone, Sky registered everything was working ok as it should - sheesh! Anyhow I got everything back up and running (without having to reset my router - what a nightmare that would have been if I had to reset with all my settings completely wiped! - not sure if I can back them up - doubt I can). Thinking (maybe knowing) that the installation and use of Zank caused all this, I then uninstalled it from my Tablet but leaving it on the Zidoo.

This is what I want to try next - I will report further in next few days.

Some of you may recall that when getting into using the Zidoo for music playback, I installed Team Viewer, similar to Zank Remote. It worked perfectly and certainly image and resolution quality of the mirror'd Zidoo screen was significantly better. But I simply cannot remember if it allowed me to switch off the TV as in this case using Zank - I'll test in next day or so and report back.

15. SSThing

SSThing Member

rozel, are your headphones connected to your Zidoo or your tablet?
    Now I have realised my own silly mistake, I am connected direct to the Z10 via Bluetooth and anything I select now plays through the headphones.
    I can't help wondering if your 'phones are connected to the tablet you are using to operate Zank?

16. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

@SSThing - yes just read your other thread - lol - I thought the antenna were just for WiFi as well - what else are they for then?

I'm connecting my Headphones to my Headphone amp, which gets its signal from an external DAC, which is fed by USB from my Z1000 Pro.

Have you turned on USB Audio in Audio settings or are you outputting via HDMI?

17. SSThing

SSThing Member

The two antenna are for Bluetooth aswell.

I am connected via HDMI to my AVR for normal listening but also (now:oops::rolleyes:) to my headphones via Bluetooth (for discreet listening when necessary).

18. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Bloody hell - I didn't know that! It may explain why my bluetooth mouse on my armchair is always loosing its connection!

Don't forget though that bluetooth audio isn't high quality

19. SSThing

SSThing Member

There's an app called Soundabout (no longer in the PlayStore but can be found elsewhere) that had loads of options to resolve USB audio routing issues, might be worth having a look for it..

20. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I have no issues - USB works fine switched on alongside HDMI so no constant switching. What Zidoo do you have @SSThing for antennas to be screwed and unscrewed?

USB and HDMI Audio is far better than listening via bluetooth