EDID thread (RTD1619DR players)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Good to know - I'm not sure why it does this but more worryingly why there's a difference in behaviour between an external and internal EDID..

It's possible that it's to do with my Samsung display I've been testing it on. I haven't tested an internal EDID on my projector, only one on the vertex.. The Samsung doesn't have switchable quantisation levels (only Philips & Samsung do this as far as I know) so that might be the cause.

I'll test on the projector and a Sony TV today and see what happens.

crutzulee likes this.
  2. vddan

vddan Active Member

As I said on another topic the 'SDR Edid Rec 709' gives me a beautiful image, but with more attention I see more grains and blacks more blocked!
    In LLDV it is better on all levels and therefore I remain for the moment as that .......

crutzulee likes this.
  3. Markswift2003

There's nothing in the way that VS10 processes the image that can cause any blocking or grain so I'm not sure what you're seeing there.

It's probable that the files have poorly encoded shadow detail as that's really the only source of blocking (more correctly called macro blocking) but as I always say, trust your eyes - if LLDV looks better on your system, no-one can deny that.

As I say, on mine, I can't really see any difference between Rec.709 SDR and BDT.2020 LLDV. Both processes are doing the same job (with the exception of a colour transform), just in different ways.

It would be great if VS10 could do SDR.2020.

crutzulee likes this.
  4. vddan

vddan Active Member

5. PascalSW

PascalSW New Member

About using VS10 with SDR Edid : I am actualy on v.6.4.20. What will be different in the picture updating to v.6.4.36 ?

6. Markswift2003

The changelog says:

7. Optimized VS10 engine DV to HDR/SDR brightness mapping to improve the picture quality(P4,P7,P8; Yes, the PQ is much better).

Basically the RPU is now being used correctly (previously it wasn't for P7) so now all DV when converted to HDR and SDR uses the DV metadata in a similar way to LLDV. Also the tone mapping has been tweaked.

crutzulee likes this.
  7. Cranks

Cranks Member

Hey Deano86,
    I am curious to learn more about your comments.
    I have an Epson TW9400 and I am looking to tweak settings a bit to get that wow factor. Can you kindly share what EDID you are using and how you boost the contrast to achieve your great picture ??

8. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

Nothing special.... The EDID is in the 1st post of this thread and the picture adjustments are in the Zidoo context menu when you are playing a title... when I am playing an HDR title (even with the VS10 conversion) I found that I liked the default contrast setting to be to be boosted up a few steps and I have the Brightness knocked down 1 notch, but that has more to do with how my Natural picture preset is setup and my projector gamma setting more than anything... It will definitely depend on your projector settings, ambient room light level, screen gain, etc... when adjusting to your liking. The VS10 SDR picture settings I have all at defaults but to be fair, since this newest firmware, I haven't really had time to fully check out the new slightly tweaked or optimized VS10 conversions for either HDR or SDR VS10 performance yet.

And like Mark mentioned, after uploading the custom EDID and setting your default Display settings for resolution and frame rate and enabling VS10 for all content, select the reboot power option for the Zidoo and then check things out as far any picture adjustments you may want to make.

9. Cranks

Cranks Member

Thanks for the quick response!
    Is the EDID the SDR Rec.709?

10. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

Yes...

Cranks likes this.
  11. vddan

vddan Active Member

Besides on the last firmware the 'VS10 in BT2020
    HDR 'has progressed well on my Samsung TV !!
    On the other hand, always the 'LLDV BT2020' on my JVC Projo.

12. FuQiang

FuQiang New Member

Hi Guys,

I think I finally made it through the whole thread (I think). If anyone could advise me on my particular predicament, it would be deeply appreciated.

I have a Formovie T1 UST Projector. It's DV compatible. Without any custom EDID it sure enough triggers DV with DV files. But the colours are all very muted. I've then switched to TV-Led DV mode, and again the DV triggers as it should via 8-bit RGB DV tunnelling. However, this specific projector is notorious for having very poor Colour mapping in it's TV-Led DV mode (extreme red push). I've then subsequently tried several custom EDID's from this thread. They all seem to have the same problem for my projector when it comes to DV. The closest I've been able to come to making DV look right, was a EDID that didn't use LLDV. Could LLDV have anything to do with the problems I'm experiencing?

If anyone could come with some suggestions, I would surely be grateful. Thanks

Attached Files:

13. Markswift2003

Not really sure what's going in here because I can't see the effect you're seeing, but going on a hunch, try the attached EDID and tell me what it does compared to the normal one for LLDV...

Attached Files:

14. Rob W

Rob W Active Member

I tried the SDR EDID last night and I found the image very impressive. I use a BenQ x3000i and it's a very bright projector, so I am still deciding what mode is best. One thought I had is when VS10 is tone mapping to SDR what are the target peak nits for the VS10 engine? In MadVR you can adjust that value depending on the capabilities of the display and so you would have a greater brightness range. If VS10 is targeting a low number like 100 it could look less punchy on brighter projectors and so probably not as good as outputting HDR.

15. FuQiang

FuQiang New Member

Thank you so much for taking the time to have a look at it. I'm afraid the EDID you sent gives me the same result as the others. So I'm guessing it's not related to LLDV? I have found that the preloaded EDID meant for SONY-8000H is giving me accurate DV colour mapping. But it's the only one I've found that seems to be working well with my equipment. And since it's meant for other specifications than my own projector, I'm thinking there's still some improvements to be found. Do you have a clue as to why? Just for my own edification. And again, thank you so much!

(I tried taking photos of the difference in PQ only to realise how difficult taking photos of a screen in a darkened room really is!)

16. Markswift2003

The main difference between EDIDs as far as the Dolby block goes are colour primaries and luminance and theoretically the one supplied with the projector should accurately reflect the capabilities of the projector.

It might be an idea to try an SDR EDID - after all the very best HDR image that any projector can muster is an SDR one - so you tone map using the best available resources.

Your projector has a maximum luminance of 110nits according to the Dolby block so I'd try loading an SDR EDID (see first page of this thread) and set HDR to VS10 for all content and let the Zidoo tone map HDR and DV rather than the projector - it's rather good at it!

17. FuQiang

FuQiang New Member

I haven't had time to fully test it yet, but I did just have a look at the SDR EDID before I went to work. First impressions are indeed very good. The picture looks more uniform in brightness and colours do look accurate.

Is it just my imagination or am I losing a bit of colour fidelity though? I'm guessing since it's a REC.709 it's not utilising the full WCG of BT.2020? Is the function in the HDR settings named "Highest SDR Rec.2020" a better choice for my T1 since it's capable of reaching the full BT.2020 spectre?

Either way I'm quite happy with the PQ for using both the SDR and SONY EDID for DV content. It's just a matter of fine tuning now to squeeze out the last bit of performance from the projector I guess. And again, thank you so much for taking the time to advise on this matter!

TV11 likes this.
  18. Markswift2003

SDR.2020 uses the Realtek engine and applies to HDR10 content only so you still have to decide how to handle Dolby Vision content. It also relies on you being able to manually select BT.2020 colour with an SDR gamma - no idea if your projector can do that.

The problem here is the way the projector handles DV content so it's up to you what looks best and how to handle all the modes - there's no "correct" way of doing it.

TV11 likes this.
  19. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

Hey @Markswift2003 : Any chance you can also create a 300Mhz REC709 EDID to put on the first post? I am using my old EDID for when my Denon receiver couldn't pass HDR signal, but with my new receiver being HDR capable, intermittently even when using that old EDID, it seems the Zidoo will somehow detect that it can pass HDR... and kind of mess things up. And since my Epson is one of those wonky units that even though it is HDMI 2.0 and HDR capable, it is only rated for HDMI 1.4 speed. A 300Mhz REC709 EDID would take care of that totally I would think? Thanks!

TV11 likes this.
  20. Markswift2003

Just this put one up on the front page:

https://mega.nz/file/RGgg3C4K#f00U_SrqTbvFKFh0ANtbgo2nG_s5g_lXJWsA1XYBnz4

Let me know if it does what you want...

But HDR capability is a separate entry to anything to do with HDMI version or TMDS speed so if the EDID you're using doesn't contain the HDR block, I can't think of a reason for the Zidoo to kick out HDR.

TV11 likes this.