Different subtitles engine for internal and external subtitles

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by mecedo, Mar 31, 2022.

Tags:
  1. mecedo

mecedo New Member

Is it possible to change subtitle engine for embedded subtitles (in file) to the same engine like in external subtitles? Engine for external subtitles is much better and more flexible. Engine for embedded subtitles is very poor. And it should be better to have only one panel for subtitles settings.

kovacsgergely83 likes this.
  2. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

If you mean PGS subtitle vs external then it is not possible. PGS subs are pictures while external subs are text files. That's why the settings are different

3. mecedo

mecedo New Member

No, I don't mean PGS subtitles. I mean SRT subtitles

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Interesting.

Must admit most of my content has PGS subs, so I'd never noticed this before!

Internal SRT settings:

upload_2022-3-31_15-30-34.png

External SRT settings:

upload_2022-3-31_15-30-57.png

5. mecedo

mecedo New Member

Exactly. And options for external subtitles are better. You can even set your own font. In internal you can't.

6. Markswift2003

So it appears that the internal subtitles are processed by the Realtek SDK and the external subs are processed by Zidoo code.

The devs hope to be able to incorporate their code into the internal subs but I'm told it may take some time...

7. sealreed

sealreed New Member

Any updates on this? The Realtek subtitle engine sometimes bugs out on SRT subtitles on high-bitrate HDR files and completely distorts the image when selecting the subtitle, or not showing the subtitle at all. With the external subtitle engine, no problems. So a change to always use the Zidoo subtitle code would be great.

8. mecedo

mecedo New Member

Markswift2003
    Markswift2003. Do you know if the issue will be improved? Or should we forgot about it forever?

9. Markswift2003

I've not heard anything further about this.

10. mecedo

mecedo New Member

Ok. So I think we can forget :(

11. kovacsgergely83

kovacsgergely83 New Member

I councur, the Internal SRT rendering has very oversharpened/pixelated edges, while for External SRT the subtitles are beautiful even on the largest font size on a 77" from 2m away.
    I usually end up always downloading external SRT even if internal SRT would be available already in the release for my language.

I'd really like to see the same external SRT "subtitle rendering engine" for internal SRT as well. Many thanks!

12. jcdc

jcdc New Member

In my experience, external SRT subtitles have issues with timing, subtitles disappearing early or going out of sync. Another minor nitpick is that the outline you can add around the text is very uneven, makes it look a little off.

The internal SRT engine has occasional issues with subtitles glitching a little and I am not a fan of the font (and no option to change), but it is more reliable. Neither is perfect.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022