Can´t play video file

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by nikeairmax, Sep 27, 2022.

1. nikeairmax

nikeairmax New Member

I just to to play my first .m2ts movie but after 30 seconds of playback the player quits and I get a notification: can t play video.

here is the info from Mediainfo (as attachment)

During the 30 seconds of playback it is showed correctly in Dolby Vision on my LG C1 OLED and Dolby Atmos on my Samsung Soundbar.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

.m2ts files are a transport stream and not supposed to be played standalone - they should be part of a BDMV structure with playlists etc.

Mux the file into .mkv using MKVToolnix and you should be good.

rozel likes this.
  3. nikeairmax

nikeairmax New Member

Ah ok. Thanks for your quick reply Mark!
    So unpacking a .ISO file and only drag to .m2ts file (largest file which is the movie) to my HDD is not how it works right?
    What is your suggestion for .ISO files? Unpack and just leave the BDMV structure files? Or don t unpack at all?

4. Markswift2003

No, not really - as I say, that's just the transport stream - you can grab it and remux to mkv with MKVToolnix which will allow you to add chapters and choose the audio/subtitle streams to keep, but the best way is to use MakeMKV to open the ISO and create an MKV.

https://www.makemkv.com/

Free Beta Key is always here:
    https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

xskip and rozel like this.
  5. nikeairmax

nikeairmax New Member

Ok, so unpacking an .ISO file with Winrar to BDMV/CERTIFICATE folder won t be played by my X9S?
    And an .ISO won t be played either?

6. Markswift2003

You can play the ISO/BDMV if you want but you have to trawl through all the tedious BluRay menu nonsense.

7. nikeairmax

nikeairmax New Member

Thanks.
    I know that in the past it was no problem to play a .m2ts file. For me it was always very easy to just grab the largest .m2ts file from the BDMV dir, rename in to the moviename and that was it.
    If I understand you correct I now have to use Makemvk to convert it to an .mkv?

8. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

Yes, use mkv format as this is the “proper” format for that. This way you will also have forced subtitles for foreign parts (sometimes you need to manually mark them as such within makemkv). If you don’t want to remux them, just playback the Folder or iso directly with the Zidoo.

9. Markswift2003

There are various ways depending on the file - if you already have the m2ts file (non Dolby Vision) you can quickly convert to mkv with MKVToolnix.

If you are ripping a bluray from scratch then use MakeMKV.

One problem you will come across with m2ts is if you use a Dolby Vision one. In this case there will be two video tracks (Dual Track, Dual Layer - DTDL) and you need to use MakeMKV to create a compliant Dolby Vision single track dual layer file (STDL). MKVToolnix will produce a dual track file which is neither use nor ornament.

10. Armin Moesslacher

Armin Moesslacher Active Member

Handbrake is a SW i can recommend to convert

11. Markswift2003

That's for encoding - We're not talking about encoding here - this is simply repacking the original video into an MKV wrapper so nothing is lost.

But if you want to encode, Staxrip beats Handbrake hands down in my opinion.

12. Armin Moesslacher

Armin Moesslacher Active Member

I see thx for the clarification ;-) I use it to re-encode big big files for instance. And I have a Macbook so Staxrip would be just usable in the Windows VM for me :) I will give it a try, thx!

13. nikeairmax

nikeairmax New Member

I don t want to re-encode indeed Mark.
    So, with MakeMKV i can repack all my BDMV folder structure movies, whether it is a Dolby Vision, ATMOS, DTS:x, 1080p or whatever blu-ray movie it is?

14. Markswift2003

Yes exactly - you get a 1:1 copy of the video with, and only with, the audio and subtitle stream you choose.

15. Markswift2003

You're probably better off sticking with Handbrake with a MAC, but it's definitely worth a look.

I use Staxrip with NVEnc using an Nvidia GPU and it can encode a 2 hour UHD rip in around 50 minutes. I tend to watch the remux and then encode afterwards but to be fair, the encode (which is usually about 20-30GB) looks exactly the same as the original to me so I've taken to encoding some stuff immediately.

dr4go likes this.