Plex client for zidoo early version(24 Sep updated)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by mirror, Jul 28, 2022.

1. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I used the Android version as that is what Zidoo is running.

2. lightsout

lightsout Member

You should give the android TV app a try, it is imo better all around than the normal android. As far as this Plex app I also have the error that it can not connect to my server, it shows my user name up top that I logged in, but can't connect. Not really interested in running cloudfare on my server as it messed up some other services when I tried it.

3. cima86

cima86 New Member

Yeah the Android TV app definitely worked better. I was willing to give it a shot over Jellyfin because it has the skip intro feature but the emby player doesn't play any of my HDR files unless I switch to the external player but then the skip intro feature doesn't work anymore.

There really isn't a client of Plex, Emby, or Jellyfin on any device that isn't missing one or more important features, it's so frustrating!

4. lightsout

lightsout Member

Yeah same for me, the internal player choked on HDR.

5. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

Hello,

I don't use PLEX yet and before I do I would like to know if some of you have lagging with 4K video files?

Thank you

6. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

The Plex client uses the Zidoo player so playback is the same as HT4 etc - so no lagging.

7. OlivierQC

Ok perfect, thank you Mark

8. OlivierQC

I see that some NAS will not be suitable, with my small ds218j and d418 I am not sure they are powerful enough with the use of Zidoo plex

9. If you're planning on not using transcoding, even the most modest NAS should be capable.

kovacsgergely83 likes this.
  10. OlivierQC

Hello Noe,

Thanks, I didn't know we had this choice with PLEX

11. leonkoum

leonkoum Active Member Beta test group

Unfortunately subtitles that are in local folder do NOT working for me.....:confused:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  12. Bavuong

Bavuong New Member

Hello , What is the point to "map" because when i do it it is very buggy or don't work

Thx for the work !

13. Nicholas Hewitt

Nicholas Hewitt Active Member

This app is a mess, and honestly, HT is way better than this non-functional waste of time. It only works for a few people and the interface is ugly and very basic. Anybody that buys a machine hoping to get a full version of a functioning plex app is going to be seriously disappointed! And 3 weeks and no word of the future of this app.

lufc001 likes this.
  14. lufc001

lufc001 New Member

I'm actually considering selling my Zidoo Z9X and replacing it with an Intel NUC and the Plex HTPC app. Can't think of what I would be missing going down that route.

15. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

Dolby Vision for one.

dwalme likes this.
  16. lanz

lanz Member

The Plex media player is based on mpv, which supports Dolby Vision passthrough, so this should not be a problem anymore. But it seems that it only works with Windows, so we replace a small problem by a much bigger one. ;)

You can even tonemap SDR videos to HDR, just like the VS10 engine, it's pretty good on my laptop display, I didn't test it with high end television. You have to use inverse-tone-mapping=yes in your config file.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
    lufc001 likes this.
  17. lufc001

lufc001 New Member

I've got Epson 9400 projector so only does HDR10+ so personally not a deal breaker.

18. Oldpainless

Oldpainless Active Member

I've been down the HTPC route (ran Dsplayer with MadVR for years), trust me when I say, i'd never go back.

19. lanz

lanz Member

You're right, doing a firmware upgrade every month with a reset seems cumbersome with Zidoo, but it's 25 times less annoying than dealing with all the Windows crap.

For me the less annoying, cheap and opensource first solution is CoreELEC. But forget Dolby Vision.

20. qsnake

qsnake Member

After trying kodi and official Plex app, I think this Plex for Zidoo is much more better for playing medias from a NAS in different network. Although Plex for Zidoo is in quite early version, it worth the wait.