Recommended Settings and other useful stuff for RTD 1619DR Players

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Oct 21, 2020.

1. scottyfrenzy

scottyfrenzy New Member

Hi all sorry to be a pain in the arse it's probably been covered before. I have a lg c9 oled tv. Zidoo zx9 hdr is shockingly dark on dark scenes. I've set all settings according to Mark recommendations and not having any luck. I don't remember it being like this on earlier versions. I currently have the latest beta update installed. Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks Scott

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Nothing changed in the last beta that could affect this so my guess is a setting has been changed somewhere - is HDMI range set to 16-235? HDR set to Auto?

I’d check TV settings but I don’t have an LG so can’t really help with that.

3. scottyfrenzy

scottyfrenzy New Member

I've had the TV calibrated so nothings changed on the TV. Maybe a master reset on the zidoo player. Quite frustrating as I really like the player. I'll try again.

4. Markswift2003

Only things I can think of that would cause this is gamma being wrong - eg BT.1886 (Power Gamma) being interpreted as ST.2084 (PQ Gamma) but that can’t be happening if the content is HDR (PQ gamma), or HDMI levels being wrong - eg 16-235 being interpreted as 0-255 where everything is shifted down the luminance scale (also expands and buggers up white).

5. scottyfrenzy

scottyfrenzy New Member

Hmmm is it best to use the auto option now ?

6. Markswift2003

Nothing has changed in the logic as far as I know so I’d always set for 16-235 but it’s worth a go.

But I’d check the TV settings - as I say I’m not familiar with LG menus but check for settings such as “Full Range” which would be incorrect - counterintuitively it should be “limited range” or similar because that’s how the content is encoded.

7. Draylore

Draylore New Member

Just got a Z9X and have a question for what HDR mode settings is best for me:

I am using the Z9X to access a library of 4k/HDR UBD rips as well as regular bluray rips. (.mkv)

For now the Z9X is hooked up to a 1080p projector so I need best settings so that when I playback any of the 4k/HDR videos i get the best possible HDR-SDR conversion?

8. Markswift2003

The VS10 engine is far better than the Realtek engine for HDR to SDR conversion so I’d try VS10 for HDR and DV content.

serg fedorov likes this.
  9. serg fedorov

serg fedorov Active Member

Installed this interface on Z9X - https://www.mcbluna.net/wp/zidoo/zidoo-ui-customization/
    But on startup, an error window pops up.
    Below was a message about solving this problem, but it did not say exactly how to solve it.
    Can you please tell me how to fix this error window permanently?

10. Ozzyoz

Ozzyoz Member

Curiosity !
    Why if i choose HDR -> LLDV 444 RGB 10 bit, the resolution becomes 1080p 60 hz and i can't change to 4K 23hz?
    If I choose HDR -> LLDV 444 YUV 12 Bit there are no problems
    How can I use the RGB resolution?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  11. Markswift2003

Could probably tell you by looking at your EDID - LLDV modes aren’t resolution dependent - that’s defined globally elsewhere in the EDID.

There’s no advantage using RGB vs 4:4:4 - both are lossless and essentially the same thing at the display.

However, Dolby Vision is natively handled at 12-bit 4:2:2 so that’s the best mode to set for LLDV.

There’s no advantage to setting 4:4:4 or RGB - all you do is increase HDMI bandwidth.

(for those wondering, most displays do not support LLDV at 10/12-bit RGB/4:4:4 so it’s not something most users will see in HDR options - I’ve only ever seen it implemented on Philips TVs. It can be spoofed in the EDID using a modified Dolby Block though)

xskip likes this.
  12. photogeek1

photogeek1 New Member

Spent the weekend installing, setting up and tweaking the MadVR Envy. I found the best result so far is to set the Zidoo for HDR10 Mapping with BT2020 and the Envy to HDR with BT2020. SDR and Rec709 movies look weird otherwise. Feel like this still isn't ideal as the Zidoo is doing image processing. I want the Zidoo to output the RAW video data with no tone mapping so the Envy gets full control. There is an option for RAW audio output but nothing obvious for video.

If I set the Zidoo to DV10, won't it attempt to tone map all HDR content? With the Envy's exceptional tone mapping, not sure if DV would really make much of a difference, or how they would play well together.

Also, no matter how much I try I'm getting frustrated by the 2.35:1 display option on the Zidoo. I have an Anamorphic lens on my PJ, but am now using the Envy to do the Anamorphic processing and scaling - definitely better than built-in JVC setting. But while I can get the widescreen UI in the Zidoo, it crops off the top and bottom of the interface, eliminating sort buttons at the top of the poster wall. This is using the Screen Cover option, which doesn't stretch or distort the UI elements. If I select Compression or Compression (GUI), the whole UI is fit, but grossly distorted. Is there a better way here, or is this just poor implementation for widescreen users?

13. Markswift2003

I wouldn't use Mapping HDR10 - it does terrible things to REC.709 as it tries to map to BT.2020 and it also converts PQ gamma to Power Gamma very badly so I'm surprised that you say REC.709 movies look weird otherwise. Fine for HDR content but not good for SDR.

As I said previously, "Auto" would be the correct mode to choose - that is exactly what you're after - SDR and HDR raw passthrough and let the Envy deal with all the conversion.

I'd stand to be corrected, but I believe the Envy doesn't deal with DV so DV cannot passthrough therefore DV has to be converted to HDR in the Zidoo.

The 2.35 option is what it is - the interface doesn't scale to 2.35, it just squishes I'm afraid.

14. photogeek1

photogeek1 New Member

Thanks. I'll give the Auto setting on the Zidoo a shot and see how the Envy picks it up.

Too bad about the 2.35:1 setting. Hope the UI scaling gets fixed with a future firmware update. Seems like an important feature for home theater enthusiasts since scope screens are usually the norm for front projection setups these days. The Kaleidescape has a perfect widescreen interface.

15. photogeek1

photogeek1 New Member

I set the Zidoo and the Envy both to Auto for HDR / color space .... so much better all around! Thanks for the help on that. Both HDR and SDR content now looks amazing.

I also locked the resolution of the UI to 3840x2160 23FPS so it wouldn't re-handshake every time you play and exit a movie. Not sure why the Poster wall UI defaults to 60FPS. Seems strange as there is almost no content at that framerate. Nearly all movie titles are at 23 FPS. TV shows are usually at 29.997 FPS.

As far as the 2.35:1 mode goes, I also discovered another problem. Currently, there is no way to seperate the GUI from the movie playback, so even 16:9 native content is getting cropped to 2.35:1. Not ideal. What would be a better solution IMHO is to be able to set the GUI to 2.35:1 with no cropping and no stretch, while being able to discreetly set the playback to 16:9 or 2.35:1. Paired with the Envy or a Lumagen, aspect ratio changes are then handled easily. I've had to go to 16:9 Default setting on the Zidoo in order to not impact movie playback. And now, the poster wall doesn't fill the screen.

16. photogeek1

photogeek1 New Member

Strange. The UHD3000 has been great since dialing in the recommended settings (apart from 2.35:1 behavior which I've detailed above). But tonight, it is now upscaling 1080 content to UHD even though I have it set to Match frame rate and resolution, and converting the same 1080 content's SDR to HDR10 even though I have the HDR set to Auto. Both of these settings worked previously. Nothing has changed. The system hasn't even been powered off. I'm guessing a reboot would fix this.

17. Draylore

Draylore New Member

Upgraded my projector to a JVC RS1100. Curious is the recommended settings in the OP are still correct for Z9X playing ripped UBD .mkvs on the JVC?

18. Markswift2003

Yes they are.

(Unless you want to use Dolby Vision)

19. kirk

kirk New Member

This is the first time I have ever posted so I hope I get this right. I have a LG C9 and it is very dark on my UHD3000. I had to move the brightness slider from 32 to 34. My LG is calibrated and every other source works fine. I am not sure how to do a reset any input on that would be helpful thank you in advance.

20. Markswift2003

How do you have HDR and HDMI Range set in the 3000?

And what in particular is dark? GUI? SDR video? HDR video? DV Video?