How to tag and structure music collection for MP?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by muha, Nov 16, 2021.

1. autocrat

autocrat New Member

I would like to claim credit for this but I doubt my report had anything to do with the fix given how quickly it made it into a beta. Thanks for putting it on your list though!

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

The only that counts is the result. ;)
    MP is actually getting better with most annoying things gone. If you have others please add them here:
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...onveniences-and-suggested-improvements.93771/

3. Nice Monkey

Next to Artist - Track Nr - Track Name also Track Nr - Track Name - Artist is working fine. This with displaying Track/Title on top and Artist below after folder scanning that is.
    Never put Artist before Track Nr myself as file sorting on Nr always goes correct and is a lot more common.

My total collection as documented does now follow either structure and I am not planning to change it. My own HDD is standardized "Track Nr - Artist - Track Name" for Collection-Albums and "Track Nr - Track Name" for Artist-Albums having no Artist field in the name at all being superfluous. This is very commonly used by many.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    gymnos likes this.
  4. Nice Monkey

For the new MP7 with FW v6.7.17 scanning engine: It is said that it helps if the albums are tagged with Artist and Album Artist fields filled. Try this also with your own compilations. Did not play with this myself yet.

Looking for a nice tagging App which can bulk generate tags from the Folder + Track naming convention in a flexible way. Suggestions are welcome.
    For total album file renaming I use Total Commander which does a good job at that.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
  5. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I use MP3Tag - very powerful little program.

6. Nice Monkey

How do you use that one to generate tags from the file/folder names? In fact have that one installed already.

7. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Go to Convert/Filename to Tag.

You're provided with a dropdown with a default scheme of "%track% - %Title%" but you can change that to whatever you want depending on your naming convention.

Have a look at the MP3Tag website for all the string options.

For example, my songs are all named like 01. TrackName.flac so I would use $num(%track%,2). %title%

Nice Monkey likes this.
  8. muha

muha Active Member

Unfortunately Mp3tag cannot generate tags from folder (just from file names) but MediaMonkey can.

Onwrathz and Nice Monkey like this.
  9. Onwrathz

Onwrathz New Member

Fixed.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022