Installing hard drive on Z1000 Pro and transferring Blu ray backups from Desktop PC

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by PG80, Jul 3, 2022.

1. PG80

PG80 New Member

I have just received a new WD Blue 3.5 SATA hard drive (6GB) and I'm looking for instructions on how to install it in the HDD Bay of the Z1000 Pro and how to transfer content from my PC to it. If any one can point me to instructions on this site or elsewhere I would be grateful. I'm new to this so detailed step by step instructions would be appreciated.

thenextvision likes this.
  2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I enable SMB Server on the Zidoo and connect my PC to it using it's "IP-address/share"as the target just like a NAS.

thenextvision and PG80 like this.
  3. PG80

PG80 New Member

I can see the SMB option in the Zidoo menus, i'll enable it once i install the HDD. What exactly do i have to do on the PC afterwards? I'm not familiar with using NAS etc.

4. PG80

PG80 New Member

Ok I've installed the hard drive on the Zidoo, formatted and enabled Samba server. Then entered the network address on my PC and can see the Zidoo storage. My problem now is that I cannot transfer files. It starts very slowly at about 1,5mb/second and then connection is lost eventually. Both are connected to the network through wifi. I know ethernet is better but if I don't have the option what can I do? My internet connections is 200mbps DL 50mbps UL.

5. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

Really, if you don't already own one, best to get a Hard Drive Docking Station for your PC. You can put the hard drive in, copy everything you want over and then click the drive back into your Z1000 Pro when finished.
    I do this regularly :)
    It will be much slower to do this over your network (and it is your network's slow wifi file tranfer speeds that will have a major effect, not your internet speed).

thenextvision and PG80 like this.
  6. PG80

PG80 New Member

Currently I'm copying to a USB hard drive from my PC and copying to the Zidoo internal hard drive from that. Will a docking station be an improvement?

Will ethernet connections at both ends improve things greatly over wifi?

7. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

My setup will do on average 70 - 80 MByte/sec transfers to a HDD USB3 attached to Zidoo. Using SSD on both ends it does a little over 100 MByte/sec.
    Impact of WiFi depends mainly on your WiFi setup but in general is (far) slower..

8. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

Yes, with a USB docking station, you only need to copy once, from the PC directly to the HDD from your Zidoo (put in the docking station).

PG80 and thenextvision like this.