Recommended format to save?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by thenextvision, Jun 27, 2022.

1. thenextvision

thenextvision New Member

I want to be able to retain ATMOS or DTS on my files. Are ISOs the best way to save, or are there any other suggestions? TY

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

MKV always.

Phil181 and xskip like this.
  3. xskip

xskip Active Member

4. thenextvision

thenextvision New Member

I have MakeMKV. Does it save DV and ATMOS? I'm still deciding on what player to get. I'm leaning towards the Z1000PRO.

5. Markswift2003

Yes of course - MKV is just a container for video, audio and subtitle streams.

6. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Always ISO's keeping a real 1:1 copy. Obviously it eats extra space but also offers full playback with all goodies as on the source. When burned it will play on any BD/UHD disc player again too.

But if only DV and ATMOS are the considerations then Mark is right obviously and MKV will do.

thenextvision likes this.
  7. Markswift2003

As always, it depends what you want - I use MKV because one of my main reasons for using a media player (apart from the convenience) is to be rid of the time vampire menus, but I appreciate that some like that.

The beauty of MKV is that you can chose just the audio and subtitle track you want and ditch all the stuff you don't need.

Just to be clear, MKV will of course retain a 1:1 copy of video/audio tracks if you're simply remuxing (as is the case with MakeMKV).

8. Nice Monkey

Haha Mark. If media players could not play Full ISO's without the menu just like playing the MKV I would most likely use MKV only too. :p

Even had 20 years ago a modified FW for my good old Philips DVD player with a "skip the crap" option added (plus external subtitles). For BD discs changed to Pioneer with similar features and now value my UDP-203 OPPO for that.
    But for some I really like using the menu and options available on discs. Having the choice with or without menu is the real big goody for me. :D

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  9. Markswift2003

I use ISOs and BDMV structures for testing and one problem I've come across playing ISOs without menus is that some obfuscated playlists result in the wrong stream being chosen by the player - Power Rangers immediately springs to mind where if you chose "Play Video" you get one of the extras rather than the movie.

10. Nice Monkey

Is well known as the longest track will be chosen by default. When playing without menu and running into this:
    - Goto BD Menu and select another track manually (they are indicated with lengths). Works almost always even for multi-cut versions.
    - Play that ISO using the menu (but that may fail with some discs).
    - Use another player like an OPPO.
    No really never fold back to MKV myself. Space occupied is the only valid reason for me to use MKV instead of ISO.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    thenextvision likes this.
  11. Markswift2003

That's not how it works. It parses the playlist mpls files.

Whilst I appreciate that some want to retain menus, ISO is a poor choice if you don't want to do that and space occupied is not the only valid reason to use MKV.