HDD not recognized by Zidoo

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Issa, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Issa

Issa Member

Hi
    I have three HDDs connected directly to Zidoo UHD 3000, two of them been recognized by Zidoo and third one is not. The problem the third one is full of movies. Now all been connected through SMB and working fine. Any idea what the reason of HDD is not recognized.
    Thanks

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Not without the HDD details. But known problems are:
    - HDD bigger than 16 Tbyte
    - 4Kn formatted drives being used. Only 512e type drives will work.
    - More than 1 partition above all located before the main one.
    - Hidden partitions present.
    - Formatted via USB not (e)SATA attached. Via USB it used the USB/ATA bridge which varies functionally depending on the brand/version.

Bottom-line NTFS is made to work by Android it is not implemented according its full design ignoring several variables and features. A good NAS and W10/W11 does the real job so working only via SMB is not that strange after all.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  3. Issa

Issa Member

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

HDD type : Western Digital 16TB WD Gold Enterprise Class Internal Hard Drive - 7200 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, 512 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD161KRYZ
    All three are the same type but two are recognized and other not.
    One partition nothing hidden and been formatted thru usb not (e)SATA

4. Nice Monkey

The last point is not good. You (mostly) can't just move HDD's between USB with a bridge and SATA. Android is real picky.
    Try to move the content to other drives and next remove the partition and next reformat it again using a W10/W11 PC.

https://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?topic=576.msg34186
    You can display all HDD format details using fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo x: under Windows. This is a CMD to be executed with Admin rights! (Note x: replaces the actual drive being used)
    This will show if they are really formatted identically. You may share the result here and I will have a look at them.

5. Issa

Issa Member

Please check the attachment. Thanks

Attached Files:

• HDD.jpg
      HDD.jpg
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
  6. Nice Monkey

It is very difficult to read. A better picture would help.
    Physical Sector and Logical Sector and cluster sizes look the same to me.

What is critical where the first sector is found. I can't read that. Windows uses that variable but Android expects it to be always on the same spot.

7. Issa

Issa Member

This is the first HDD which is working in Zidoo
    upload_2022-6-28_19-0-2.png

8. Issa

Issa Member

This is the 2nd HDD which is working with Zidoo
    upload_2022-6-28_19-1-17.png

9. Issa

Issa Member

This is the 3rd one which is not working with Zidoo
    upload_2022-6-28_19-2-33.png

10. Issa

Issa Member

I hope now it is clear.

11. Nice Monkey

Sorry to say so but frankly don't see anything wrong with that. So the NTFS part looks good.
    Can you show me the partition info too?

12. Issa

Issa Member

upload_2022-6-28_19-48-16.png

13. Nice Monkey

I can't see the cause and it is very strange.

But I do have bad experiences formatting via USB. Can't you save the data, remove the partition and reformat in your PC SATA attached?
    It is the only thing I can still think of. One pointer which is not default can be enough for Android to fail.
    Never found any HDD which did not work correct after doing it that way and did many for myself and many others.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  14. Issa

Issa Member

I will try to move 40 tb and format the HDD enclosure. Thanks mate.

15. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

Windows is seeing each individual HDD as being 44.7TB in size x3 ......
    How did you format them so 16Tb drives = 44.7TB each? This would appear to be the source of the drive not being seen by the system correctly (Android or Windows).
    Appears to be some sort of JBOD format combining all 3 HDD's together rather than keeping as separate drives? If this is done normally, there should only be a single (large) drive letter, not 3 drives showing.

If you re-format in Windows individually, it should fix the problem (but you would loose all movies unless you can back up elsewhere....). Repartition and Format one of the drives with little on it (check it shows as <16Tb in Windows) , and then you should be able to copy over the drive full of onto it?

Nice Monkey likes this.
  16. Nice Monkey

Yes I agree. Thanks' for reporting here. That size is odd. Should be 16 TByte each as individual drives. Overlooked that. Very strange indeed above all 2 working with the player. JBOD does this but reports a single letter for all drives bundled.

Are these maybe bundled with an external USB housing into a single unit? Should have asked first how and with what you connect them to your PC and Zidoo exactly (not internal).
    I frankly presumed you were using the internal HDD slots of Zidoo UHD3000 one by one. My mistake .

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  17. Nice Monkey

18. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

Ask the OP @Issa. I am interested in how these were formatted too!

19. Nice Monkey

@Phil181
    Sorry I obviously intended to ask @Issa
    Please enlight us.