Proposal Feature Request - Set Preference for Dynamic HDR Format

Discussion in 'General Development' started by Nathan W, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Nathan W

Nathan W Member

I am proposing giving users the option for setting a preference of DV vs HDR10+ in either Playback Settings or HT.

In my setup I watch mostly MKV remuxes and my TV does not have native DV support. So I prefer HDR10+ over FEL being cast down to MEL and then being tonemapped through the VS10 Engine where a file has both DV and HDR10+ available. I am currently doing this manually by having a list of movies I have on my phone where it has both and then force mapping to HDR10 when playing these files and then putting setting back when done.

Thank you for taking time to read my suggestion and if this needs to be moved elsewhere let me know.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

It already does this.

If the TV does not support DV but does support HDR10+ (eg Samsung) then setting HDR to Auto will play the native HDR10+ layer of a Profile 7 DV/HDR10+ presentation.

I must admit I wasn't sure about this behaviour when I read your post, so I just loaded an HDR10+ EDID and can confirm this behaviour with both the Zidoo OSD and an HDFury Vertex2.

Similarly, if you set VS10 engine for SDR content, DV or SDR DV content it will play the HDR10+ layer. In the case of Auto and VS10 for DV or SDR DV this allows VS10 to convert DV Profile 5 to HDR10 because there isn't a compatibility layer.

If this isn't happening, it's possible that if you use an AVR, it's not HDR10+ compliant. To test this, set Custom EDID to #3 which is HDR10+ compatible. In this case, if the AVR isn't HDR10+ compatible, you won't get HDR10+ at the TV but at least the Zidoo will spit it out.

3. Nathan W

Nathan W Member

So to confirm expected behavior is (when TV does not support DV but does support HDR10+ (eg Samsung))

P7 DV/HDR10+ -> HDR10+
    P7 DV/HDR -> HDR
    P5 DV -> VS10
    P8 DV/HDR10+ -> HDR10+
    P8 DV/HDR10 -> HDR10

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Yes.

Just for clarity, P5 DV -> VS10 HDR10

P8 will depend on the compatibility layer which can be SDR, HDR10 or HLG.

5. Nathan W

Nathan W Member

Thank you for clarifying. I thought the VS10 engine would handle P7 but I just had borked settings forcing it to handle it. Consider this "resolved". If I should edit title to do mark it as so let me know.

6. Nathan W

Nathan W Member

I know its been a while but I have another use case for this.

I have an HDR10+ TV and utilize an HDFury device with LLDV to play DV content.
    If HDR10+ is an option I play that over the DV as 9/10 times having the display doing the tonemapping will result in a better experience.
    I currently load and unload the 600mhz HDR10+ edid from edid thread to force HDR10+.

Having the ability to prefer HDR10+ over DV would finally give me a setup where I do not need to fiddle with settings.