JellyfinTv Zidoo-Edition support post

Discussion in 'Jellyfin for Zidoo' started by andy22, Jun 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. andy22

andy22 Active Member

Smb/nfs discovery just by the server ip, is a whole other can of worms and atm we cant rely on this working.
    Btw no Jellyfin server/client has no nfs or smb discovery or any mount code for that matter, which is also true for emby or plex.
    The smb/nfs code is all inside the zidoo player or kodi.

2. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Active Member

The plex dockers I have used i think have NFS built in , but i could be mistaken. I havent used plex for some time. Perhaps something with that particular docker, i thought Infuse used NFS as well, but I also do not use that anymore either and memory fails me .

3. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Active Member

Well for those that are interested, somewhere along the way I corrupted my poster and database to where it would no longer play BD menus for 3D, BD, UHD iso and bdmv. All just went back to movie poster screen, I swear FPS wasnt showing up on ISO BMV before and nor was audio codec on ISO. That is all cured. No way of knowing now. But a fresh database and image is a nice place to start on a zidoo. Could have been a number of things. but whatever it was is cured with a clear all data storage, factory reset, and brand new database. Its so quick now too! Major difference. Perhaps its not a good idea to import library's from build to build. Anyways all back to normal. Jellyfin installed too. Too tired to test tonight though. Maybe tomorrow afternoon. Cheers!

4. andy22

andy22 Active Member

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  5. So, I got Beta 4 up and running last night! Works really well :) NO issues with matching files as expected and its working 100% with my local metadata (images, subs, trailers, etc). I havent used Emby in a LONG time, so Jellyfin is actually refreshing to use because I remember Emby having a lot going on...and I had to pay for certain features.

One thing I noticed is that the playback progress tracking is a little buggy. I rewatched a show where I missed the last 5 minutes, so I started it up and skipped all the way to the last 10 minutes or so. When I looked in the dashboard, Jellyfin was not tracking the watched progress from the correct time, it seemed to think I was still at the beginning of the file. Maybe its just a small hiccup. Im going to test some more today.

However, so far, I am VERY impressed and happy with this app to the point that I set it to launch on boot and put HT on the bench.

Really looking forward to seeing more of your projects in the future and I hope the Zidoo team works with you :)

6. andy22

andy22 Active Member

mhh need to restest, should not happen. The updates should trigger at least every 15 seconds, even if something went wrong on initial play reporting.

7. andy22

andy22 Active Member

Could need some feedback on the latest grid layout changes, the views that display your libs.
    Default is medium/vertically, so are you happy with the default sizes, spaces and general layout?

8. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Could do with a smaller one for big screens - I tend use 15 x 5 and 14 x 5 depending on device - 10 x 3 is a bit in your face on a 10 foot screen.

Also, any way to speed up refresh and get posters to scroll smoothly?

I seem to spend a lot of time looking at something like this:

upload_2022-6-22_17-39-38.png

Then this:
    upload_2022-6-22_17-40-54.png

And it eventually resolves to this if you scroll about a bit:
    upload_2022-6-22_17-41-10.png

Server is just on a Windows box - nothing clever.

9. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Active Member

I am just out of diapers when it comes to jellyfin:

As mentioned I have my media in shares based on content type such as hd, bd, 4k (digital), 4khevc (uhd-bdmv), 3dhsbs, 3dmvc, and 3davc (3d-iso) , hdtv, and 4khtv:

My Question: Like kodi, and ht posterwall, is there a way to show all that media on the same screen, by recently added, or modified, or date released etc. ? ( Solved)

Found under Settings/Settings/Home/Library Folders

Question2: Are there some really great skins out there for jellyfin that one would recommend?

The speed and simplicity of jellyfin is amazing. It handles 1000+ movies much better than HT poster, and maybe better than kodi, at least the zdmc branch in my opinion. A lot of apps LAG on the zidoo i think due to memory speed and the SOC

Andy22, If you have are looking for a job, Zidoo can and should place you on payroll immediately. The performance of Jellyfin is that of Kodi on a shield which is impressive. Unfortunately the jellyfin app for android tv sucks in my opinion from what I have seen.

I second the motion that Zidoo should be preparing an offer for your skillsets. I cannot wait to see where this leads from here. The trailer playing is exactly the way HT poster should handle trailers with the artwork at the top and full screen with hidden controls. The pip is ok but when you click on that trailer button the layout in jellyfin with the android native player is exactly what should be seen. The boxed trailer view in HT poster is "special" putting it nicely!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  10. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Active Member

Mark,

I am running the server on a Synology DS3615XS Nas with a Xeon V3 1265L with in docker and it is smooth as can be. That is modified from a I3 processor it originally came with. I am not seeing any lag more than what i see in kodi when scrolling the wall (on nvidia shields)

Note: I just factory reset my Z1000pro last night after a strange anomoly of BD menus were no longer working anymore, it was just kicking back to poster wall. title screen for that movie. Every single one of them. Could have been a mcbluna install of an update or could have been a corrupted database. Either way, I tried a clear all data step first for the apps and when that did not work, i cleared the library, and set up a test folder, that too did not work, then i cleared out some system app cache, and that too did not fix BD menus. Factory recovery twice, and that did the trick. Everything from HT poster, to Jellyfin, to even media center browsing and scrcpy remote dev tool is snappy now. Sometimes exporting and importing a library is not the best way to go. If you look at the theater.db file you will see it never deletes anything.....it just makes new entries....and while it ignores those entries, its still something it has to go through when being accessed. I was shocked to see all the garbage in there that is long gone from my library. Who knew!

Bottom Line: Purge and definately use nfo imports/metadata

and those BD menus work extremely fast now as well after the full recovery

11. Markswift2003

Cool - I must admit I'm a bit surprised with the latency and I'm not sure where it comes from - as I say, the server is on a simple Windows box and when viewing the library on that box through the web client or using the iPhone client it's pretty good but scrolling on the Zidoo is painfully slow and jerky.

And yes, I've always said this, the housekeeping on the SQLite database for HT is terrible - I spend a lot of time clearing and rescanning the database while testing, so my database is never very old, but I hate to think what the state of some databases are like out there - basically all the crap you ever looked at is in there!

12. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Active Member

Yeah, i still cannot even fathom what happened to my box as far as BD menu launching broken, anyways, its fixed now after the refresh. Jellyfin has a great support community. I am just getting my feet wet. Zidoo should pick up Andy22 if he is available for contract work or a remote position

13. andy22

andy22 Active Member

Ah oki, i was originally thinking of having this a user setting of rows/columns instead of the small/medium/large, but the settings range got complicated for banners/thumbs.
    May revisit this idea in the future, but for now i can add a "smaller" setting with your size suggestion.

Yeah i also did run into this issue a couple of times, i'm not sure why this is not consistently happening. Most of the time it works for me and than sometimes updates take forever.
    Need to debug this, but seems like a server issue, since i don't see any hanging async update jobs in the client queue.

Sorry to hear, so did my fork at least alleviated some of the "sucks"? I think the AndroidTv app with my changes is pretty usable now and i have plans to get more stuff working.
    Maybe give a list of your biggest "sucks" so i can check what can be easily fixed.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  14. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Active Member

Is your app compatible with android tv? I said the playstore jellyfin app sucks. Yours has vastly impressed me in the short time you have been compiling code. In my opinion , zidoo should be putting together an offer package for you to make their product better. Your dedication is a breath of fresh air to zidoo. I need to learn as much as I can about jellyfin, but i know it answers many of my wants for scripting of prerolls, bumpers intros etc. and since the direct play calls are going straight to zidoo, most of what they do is amazing.

any chance you can tap the posterwall calls to launch a BD menu from jellyfin? That would be something! Everything i have tried since NFS got worked out is grand thus far! Again I am just getting my feed wet with jellyfin and spent some time today.

Specifying a playlist default for bdmv , iso would be over the top, but i doubt much can be done there. I need to find some skins with more eye candy, but that is nothing to do with your efforts.

15. andy22

andy22 Active Member

Ok i guess i need to clear-up some stuff here.
    1. My "app" is a fork aka based on the official JellyfinTv App, which is for AndroidTv, but also runs/installs on Android 9
      • this app is designed with TV's in mind, so has no touch inputs and also assumes the remote/device has no keyboard inputs available
    2. Then there is a official Jellyfin Android App that is designed with phones/tablets in mind that assumes touch/keyboard is available
      • i have nothing to-do with this app variant
    So i always assume we talk about changes/improvements/feedback comparing the official Jellyfin AndroidTv app vs my "Zidoo Edition" variant.

Need to test BD menu stuff, but not a high priority atm.

Can you explain this more, what do you mean by "playlist default" ?

16. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Active Member

Ah,

Lets say you have a bdmv folder of a bluray disc where 0800.mpls is English playlist , and 0803.mpls is Japanese's playlist If that data could be pulled from the bdmv folder that has been scanned into jellyfin, and you could set a default for playback thius preventing you from having to select that playlist everytime. Zidoo can see the playlists that are relevant but not save them. You do this on a bdmv by going to the menu during playback and selecting the Titles submenu just below chapters. This can "change' the playback of that movie but it will not save it as default in the zidoo player either. I don't even know if that is possible through jellyfin since it basically hands off that image to Zidoo Player. Just asking.

On perhaps more reasonable request: Anyway you can get prerolls working with android player, then send the main movie target to zidoo player. Trailers works great with the android player but since you are calling direct calls to zidoo. it breaks the Jellyfin intro preroll plugin. Hoping that can be worked out , or give an option for streaming content to go through android player and movies to go through zidoo player. Can you hook into the plugin allowing the intro, prerolls, trailers to play?

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dkanada/jellyfin-plugin-intros/master/manifest.json

17. andy22

andy22 Active Member

In theory you can do everything, since source-code is always available.
    I have the Hi10 anime case on my to-do list, where the idea is to hand those files to the internal vlclib player in software decode mode. I guess if this works i could also add special cases for specific external plugins, but have to check how the plugin actually works.

Yet not very high on my list atm, so probably only happen after we get out of beta's.
    Need to work on better automatic user based audio/subtitle selection next, since we want to ignore the device settings, given that via Jellyfin server each user can have different settings.

nc88keyz likes this.
  18. andy22

andy22 Active Member

19. Hippoponderous

Hippoponderous Active Member

If possible, instead of the current way that genres are displayed (on 1 page with horizontal scrolling), could they be opened individually & displayed in a grid layout?

20. Markswift2003

Cool - I'll take a look this morning.

To be honest all programs I've come across just have specific sizes as you've done and the number of columns is kind of fixed by the number of rows unless spacing is very large.

Maybe just let the user choose the number of rows, which then dictates the number of columns. If you want to add spacing in, just keep it within values that maintain the columns as specified by the number of rows..