Dolby Vision on Video Projector

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by xliv, Jun 16, 2022.

1. xliv

xliv Member

Ok thanks, pretty clear.
    I guess on my end, if I was to do this, I'd probably attach it to a ceiling mount (I can go beyond the suspended ceiling to reach the concrete). I found a couple of ceiling mount brands that would support such weight.

On your side, maybe if you switch to ceiling mount, you'd have less re-engineering to do on your port? I can see why the JVC would not fit in that shelf...

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

It's the position of the projector port in relation to the ceiling - the new JVCs are a lot taller than the old ones, so lowering the shelf would mean the projector misses the port - the only option is to make the port hole bigger by taking a couple of inches off the bottom. Wholly doable, but I just have to be in the right mood :)

3. xliv

xliv Member

Yes, this is clear - I meant shifting the projector upside down, with a ceiling mount, maybe the distance between feet and lens is smaller, if you manage to get a very thin ceiling mount.

4. Markswift2003

You're very close to tempting me to buy one - then I've got to fix it one way or the other ;)

5. xliv

xliv Member

Well, I'm sorry in advance, I'm feeling it's already too late... :)

6. Stibone

Stibone New Member

@Markswift2003 I'm having an issue with LLDV. I followed your guide (very well written) and uploaded the gamma curve. I'm using a Z1000 Pro and a JVC RS2000. I found when running the new profile that dark scenes looked pretty good compared to frame adapt but bright scenes looked washed out. Am I missing a setting or something that would be causing this? Appreciate the help!

7. Markswift2003

Do you mean washed out or blown out?

Washed out implies a lack of colour and "greyness" to the image. Blown out means that specular highlights and top end brightness are lost.

8. Stibone

Stibone New Member

Sorry, was late when I wrote it. Blown out. For example I was watching the Hobbit and and in any bright scenes Legolas looked practically albino

9. Markswift2003

Ok, that means the gamma curve is too bright for the projector - I designed that curve to be as bright as possible on my old X7000 without blowing the highlights so it won't match all situations and all projectors.

Have a look at this post - using a 10,000nit Dolby Block in the EDID:

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/edid-thread-fw-v6-1-10-onwards.86856/page-39#post-197371

10. Stibone

Stibone New Member

Ok awesome. I downloaded the 10K nit EDID so I'll try that later today. So just a couple additional questions.

I see that when using the custom EDID it doesn't automatically trigger HDR mode on the JVC. So in addition to setting the SDR profile at BT.2020 I should also set the lamp to high, like I have for my HDR picture modes?

And previously I relied on Auto Picture and then it selected my custom SDR picture mode if the signal was SDR and my Frame Adapt Picture mode for HDR. If the file is regular SDR, will I need to manually switch it to my custom SDR pic mode? If it's just HDR10/HDR10+, will I need to manually select Frame Adapt?

Thanks!

11. Markswift2003

You certainly don't use an SDR profile :eek: and I wouldn't bother setting the lamp to high. No idea how you set DTM as I don't have that projector. Maybe ask @vddan .

12. Stibone

Stibone New Member

Maybe I didn't explain it properly. I saw in another post, you said using the EDID will not trigger HDR mode on the JVC if using Auto picture mode. My JVC has 2 modes, with different customizable presets for each. So when using the custom EDID, since it appears as SDR to the PJ, I have to manually change the Color Profile to BT.2020 (as detailed in your guide). So that's all I meant my SDR profile since the PJ doesn't detect HDR automatically. "Frame Adapt" is the DTM pic mode for the RS/NX/NZ series. But looks like I'll need to manually toggle between pic modes for SDR content.

@vddan I think we've got the same projector so I'd love to hear how you've got yours setup! I saw your glowing review using the 10000nit EDID so I'd like to get to the same place

Last edited: Aug 12, 2023
  13. Markswift2003

Ok, I understand - but it's not an SDR mode, it's a Custom Picture Mode, or at least it is with mine - you select a custom Picture Mode slot - I think there are 6, and add BT.2020 colour profile and gamma. In my case I select the custom gamma but in your case I assume you can select DTM (or Frame Adapt).

14. Stibone

Stibone New Member

Think we have 2 very different projectors. On the RS/NX series, you have "SDR", and "HDR". Each one of those parent categories has different picture modes including defaults "Natural, Cinema, Film" and then 3 custom slots each. HDR category is the only one that allows for "Frame Adapt" and "Frame Adapt" is its own picture mode. The HDR category also adds additional settings such as "Theater Optimizer" which allows for 3 levels of HDR adjust (Low, Med, High).

Pretty sure @vddan has the NX7 which is identical to the RS2000 (which I have) so I'll wait and see what he's doing so we're comparing apples to apples. Thanks for your help though!

15. Markswift2003

Yeah, I think @vddan is your man ;)

16. vddan

vddan Active Member

Good morning,
    Reading you, I'm not sure you're doing the right setting on the zidoo......
    - edid file 10,000 nits
    -HDR all the way down 12-bit LLDV
    On the project:
    - content: HDR10
    -FramAdapt mode
    -BT2020 color profile
    -HDR level: choice (custom 'auto Large')
    Then you can switch to manual and even go into the gamma settings etc. .....
    But already like that, the image is really top !!
    Up to you !

17. vddan

vddan Active Member

As marked in my signature I have the
    -jvc rs2100 vs nz7