Zidoo NEO α (Alpha) Signature Edition / Flagship 2022.

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by OlivierQC, May 30, 2022.

1. autocrat

autocrat New Member

You're pretty much right with those items. I'll see if I can think of anything that needs mentioning. It took me three weeks to finally get my modest audio collection on there and working satisfactorily (from the app, I'm not interested in having a TV on when listening ot music), and now I can't update it because if I try it will break it. IMO it should be better (MUCH better) in a product at the UHD3000 price point let alone something more than double the price.

2. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

I actually prefer 2 channels even if the src is in 5.1. i am a little bit puzzled myself. think its might be bcos my LR speakers are better quality and better suited for music.
    the sound stage of 5.1 is pretty amazing though.

3. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

i suppose m.2 is a good way to ensure ssds are used (wo the heat n noise). its fairly easy to change m.2 on sony ps5. dont know how similar solution can be implemented in a typical rectangular box but just an idea.

4. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

SSD is nice but at about € 100 to € 150 per Tbyte which still is far more expensive than a 2.5 inch HDD which almost achieves the same goals (quiet and low heat). You can get a 5 TByte 2.5 HDD for that same amount of money.

I see some use cases for the 512 GByte SSD here:
    - Use it for music playback which will be 100% silent as a result.
    - Use it for one-time movie viewings.
    - Use it for pictures and FW installs etc.
    I don't know if it can be used as expansion for Internal Flash to store APP's and their Data on it?
    Android OS by itself allows that but if it is facilitated here? At the moment Neo players offer no access to Android setup at all.

But SSD drops a lot faster than HDD per TByte so one day it may come close?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  5. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

1TB samsung 980 pro m.2 ssd is abt 150 usd on amazon. for music, one doesnt need high performance and for abt the same price, can get a western digital 2TB Green which can hold roughly 1000 sacd albums (pop music)!

the only question: zidoo needs sata or nvme interface?

6. mirror

mirror Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Zidoo TECH Supporter

M.2 SATA 2280

7. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

Hoping that those who are lucky enough to have a NEO Alpha will offer us pictures or videos... I don't point at anyone in particular :)

8. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

What kind of videos do you have in mind?

9. OlivierQC

Hello Sledge,

A small video that shows the front of the Alpha as well as the VFD with the different menus for example, and some pictures with different angles and low depth of field.

I started to use After Effect and Volumax7 to make 3D effects with the pictures and I would have made a small Youtube video about the Alpha.

So if someone has a NEO Alpha and has the time to do me this service it will be nice of him.

gymnos likes this.
  10. Nice Monkey

Have one for Neo X from Zidoo itself, but it is 1 Gbyte big. It is very nice but using the front button controls.

The easiest way to take pictures of good quality is using the build-in snapshot feature also available for Front Panel not just HDMI output. Used that for the (later updated) pictures in my Neo X review.

I don't think VFD features for Alpha will be different from the other Neo models?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  11. OlivierQC

Hi Nice Monkey,

in fact I was talking about a picture of the front of the Alpha with the different menu and with a shallow depth of field to have a blurred background a bit like my pictures of the Z1000pro that I made for my thread last year

12. gymnos

gymnos Member

Any news related with the price?

In USA they are talking about 3000$...

o_O

13. gladiator

gladiator Member

the price more than 2700$ ... i think someone gat confuse... this is not tesla .. only media box ..

to bad

rozel likes this.
  14. Nice Monkey

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  15. OlivierQC

And you, are you tempted by this beautiful machine to replace your NEO X ? :)

16. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Extremely expensive and affordable for that elite or Zidoo lovers!! :rolleyes:

gymnos likes this.
  17. Nice Monkey

Zidoo was so nice to make a review sample available to me which just arrived. :cool:
    My UHD3000 is for sale now but I will keep the Neo X for sure. It remains an unique machine.
    So you can expect a full review from me for sure. :D

The first HW impression matches the earlier reactions made by me here and did not change in any way. No surprises, yes a few questions for Zidoo not (fully) answered yet. Hooked it up Dual HDMI using Audio/DSD port to my AMP and Main port to my TV. This to get SACD DSD MCH audio output and HDR10+ output for video as my AMP does not pass that. HDR10+ is used seldom though in contrary to DV which is present regularly on UHD/4K movies so did not bother using my UHD3000 just for that purpose. ;)

As it is all about HiFi Audio I will wait for the updates coming for Music Player (and I hope Front Panel features) to start with my review. It got a very stiff price tag so serious work is expected to be done here by me. I don't think anybody needs to guess what I am expecting here. Please add comments if applicable.

I was surprised how many went for the Zappiti HiFi models so there are people who are willing to spend this kind of money. I do regard Zidoo Neo Alpha superior to those top models even with the current MP state. Using alternative music library APP's (Roon, JRiver, Plex, Emby, Jellyfin etc) as support is developing for those helps for sure too. Will (re)try some setups for the review.
    I personally like Emby specifically as it can run as an Emby Android based Server perfect on any old(er) media player which got unused. Will use my Z9X as such when reviewing or use my tower PC if not.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  18. OlivierQC

Great, I'm happy for you,

Can't wait to see what you think of this new Zidoo Flagship, even though I already know the answer.

Yes I agree with you about Zappiti but they have always been more expensive than others in general and people are used to it which is not the case for Zidoo devices that we have used to affordable prices for the same quality

19. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Active Member

at $3000 USD they are going to have to start making daughter boards for the the SOC if they want to sell more than a couple 1000 of them at that bite.

If they present such an upgrade path, I could see them selling a lot of them . At the current rate, it will be outdated hardwarewise within 24 months. Zidoo has never to date as far as I am aware done an OS upgrade , I am not saying they need to but it would be nice if they got on the 2-3 cycles of upgrades like the major manufacturers. It is a beautiful component but I am not sure $3000 and android 9 powered is where we want to be in 2 years with an RT1619DR first generation VS10 engine.

gymnos, thenextvision and Nice Monkey like this.
  20. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

AFAIK the problem is that the SDK from Realtek just supports Android 9 and not newer versions (or in general jus one OS version). Thus, there is sadly not much a Zidoo can do about it.