How to create a Debug Log

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, May 10, 2022.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

The following app can be installed to allow you to create a debug log if asked by the devs.

https://mega.nz/file/MWpVlKiC#XX4omyIgw2FLgonJVh9BLsKtA1JcZpYj9I70EX7kdHw

To use:

1. Install the app

2. Insert an empty USB key

3. Run the app and select "Start All" (there are other options but only use those if specifically instructed)

4. Press "Home" to return to the home screen

5. Complete the steps required to replicate the bug you have identified. Think carefully about this - what we don't want is megs and megs of useless debug logs to wade through - so only do what's needed to replicate the issue you're having.

6. Return to the Debug app and select "Stop All"

7. Remove the USB key and you will see a directory called "rtk_dump" - zip or rar this directory using Winzip/Winrar or similar and then post the zip file as an attachment to the forum.

As I say, this is only useful if requested by the devs so please don't go posting debug logs all over the forums...

** Just a quick note to say that, depending what you're doing at the time the logs are taken, they may contain data relating to file names you are playing or have scanned etc. No data is logged that can identify you or compromise your security in any way, and of course you can open the files yourselves with a text editor to have a look through before sending to see what's in there. If asked by the devs, you can also PM the logs if you don't want to post the files on an open forum **​

Last edited: May 11, 2022
    pcristi, serg fedorov, dr4go and 2 others like this.
  2. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

It's a pity Zidoo doesn't automatically produce a "crash report.log" file directly available in Storage folder as the Beyonwiz PVR does (an Enigma 2 clone). Easy to find and upload to whoever. The crash report log is created whenever something goes wrong.

Six66Mike and DIKKE like this.
  3. Craig

Craig Member

After I insert an empty USB drive and launch the debug app, the saved path is /mnt/media_rw/207E32627E3231340/rtk_dump/(current date YYYYMMDD)

I run through the remaining steps, but no file is generated on the USB drive ?

4. Markswift2003

Are you selecting "Start All"?

5. Craig

Craig Member

Yes

6. Markswift2003

Really odd - I've never had it fail.

7. Craig

Craig Member

I used a different USB drive, and now it worked

TV11 likes this.
  8. RasterEyes

RasterEyes Member

Hmmm. I consider myself fairly tech saavy, but I don't get how to accomplish the very first step here. How does the file I've download get installed on my Zidoo in the first place?

9. Markswift2003

It's an apk so just put it somewhere the Zidoo can access (USB, network location, internal storage...) and click on it to install.

10. RasterEyes

RasterEyes Member

I've plugged in an empty FAT32-formatted 4GB USB thumb drive, but the debug app still says, "Please plug an external storage" (their grammar, not mine), and "Start All" remains grayed out and unresponsive. I rebooted, leaving the thumb drive plugged in, and that didn't help. I pulled out the thumb drive and reinserted it with the debug app running. That didn't help.

I don't know if this is of any significance, but a directory named "LOST.DIR" is being created when I plug in my thumb drive. I deleted it, then it was created again.

11. RasterEyes

RasterEyes Member

*bump*

Still wondering why my USB thumb drive is not being recognized as a place I can save a debug log.

12. Markswift2003

Not a clue - it's always worked for me and I can't say I've ever bothered to check whether the USB stick was FAT32 or not.

The LOST directory is created by android and is normal.

Have you tried a different one?

13. RasterEyes

RasterEyes Member

I reformatted the drive as ExFAT instead of FAT32. That fixed the problem. It's a bit odd that FAT32 didn't work. That's a common lowest-common-denominator file system choice.

14. Markswift2003

Very odd - I just tried a FAT32 stick and it works just fine.

15. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

The ghost in the machine phenomena. I have an ancient USB 1 drive that is so reliable for firmware updates with a long history of media players. It even has a mechanical write protect switch on it! My lucky driveā€¦.