Z9X: No spindown USB connected HDD’s when player is in standby (Solved)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by sgr, Feb 10, 2022.

1. sgr

sgr New Member

Hi there!
    Last month I’ve switched from the Mede8er MED600X3D media player to the Zidoo Z9X. I’m pretty impressed with the Z9X speed, image quality and features!

But one thing I do not understand: when I turn off the Z9X, all of the connected HDD’s keep on spinning. Why is that?
    One of the attached HDD is mains fed and the other is USB fed. When I connect both HDD’s to a Windows/macOS system or the old Mede8er media player, these HDD’s spin down properly when these systems shut down. So there is no problem on the HDD side.

In my opinion it’s quite pointless to keep the HDD’s active while the Z9X is shut down. It’s a waste of energy and also unnecessary wear of the hardware.

So my question is: when can we expect a FW update that addresses this issue?
    ThnX in advance!
    (The latest FW v6.3.42 is installed.)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
  2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I think I have seen this too. My Neo X will spin down all USB drives but Z9X doesn't do it (always)?

3. sgr

sgr New Member

It's good to read that your Neo X after shutdown does spindown the connected HDD's. This should be a basic feature and not a high end feature.
    When I shut down the Z9X, every time I must manually switch off the machine with the switch on the back side. A bit outdated in my opinion.

4. Nice Monkey

It is not a high end feature. I am sure it worked in the past even with older models.

5. sgr

sgr New Member

Do you suggest that this feature is removed from the OS?

6. Nice Monkey

It is a bug.

7. sgr

sgr New Member

Right! So it's a matter of time this bug will be crushed?
    Is the development team aware of this situation? I mean, is it common to post bugs here or in the Development section?

8. Nice Monkey

They do read the forum. So it is now reported. You took the right action.

9. sgr

sgr New Member

ThmbzUp! :)

10. sgr

sgr New Member

When can we, as Z9X users, expect an update which addresses the spin down issue?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
  11. Tam Nguyen

Tam Nguyen New Member

The latest FW v6.3.42 is installed just like yours.

Try this: In the settings, under Power Mode, check the standby while power plug in. Under HDD sleep, check sleep after no operation for 10 min. Please report back if your spin down issue is resolved. Thank you!

12. sgr

sgr New Member

Hi Tam Nguyen,
    ThnX for your reply.

This setting was already ticked, so unfortunately no solution.

13. sgr

sgr New Member

Bump! ;)

I really want to keep this thread alive.
    So far it looks I'm the only one with this HDD issue. Or am I wrong?

14. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

I had this issue on old Zidoo X9S. Not a problem right now with Z9X.
    What worked for me with X9S was to keep USB port occupied with a small thumb drive. First thing to try is to shut Zidoo off (or put it to stand by). If you fees the hard drive is spinning or just started up after Zidoo went into standby is to unplug HDMI cable. If hard drive stops you probably have similar condition to what I experienced in the past. Try leaving small thumb drive in spare USB port. See if this solves your problem.

15. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

A good solution is to install a power strip with switch, then you can off the power of the entire system.... saving some energy. I know it's annoying but it's my own solution!!

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  16. sgr

sgr New Member

ThnX for your message.

It's interesting that this spindown bug is also present in the X9S (release date: 0ct-2016). But I'm trying to understand why you don't have this issue with your current Z9X.
    Question: Do you use the same HDD's on the Z9X as used on the X9S?
    I know my HDD's are not the problem, because they do not spin when I put my old Mede8er media player in standby modus.

It's clear to say: the HDD's do not spin when I manually shut down (with the backside switch).
    They keep on spinning when I put the system in standby (via the remote).

Regarding your possible solution:
    When I unplug the HDMI cable in standby modus, the HDD's keep on spinning.
    When I place a small thumbdrive, the problem also persists.
    No luck for me.

17. sgr

sgr New Member

ThnX for your reply.
    Your solution has exactly the same result as mine (manually shut down the system with the backside switch). It doesn't solve the problem.
    I think only a firmware adjustment can solve this.
    Maybe you can start a thread also and get the attention of the developers. ;)

18. sgr

sgr New Member

I've altered the title of this thread. Turning off player > player is in standby.

19. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Yes, I have the same hard drives on new Z9X as the old X9S. One on SATA port and one on USB 3.0. The problem persisted on old X9S the way I described. X9S into standby and external hard drive would wake up and stay spinning all night. I had USB small media keyboard attached to one USB 2.0 and the fix was to insert another thumb drive to second USB 2.0 port to keep them all occupied.

I don't have this issue with new Z9X and the same drives including media keyboard. My old X9S got relocated to a different location with another set of drives. The same setup (different drives) one on SATA and one on USB 3.0. The same problem. Small USB key fixed the issue for me again on old X9S.

SATA drive on new Z9X appears to be running a lot for no reason when Zidoo is on. Maybe it's using it for storage or something. I'ts also a bit warm when Zidoo is in standby but I don't think it is spinning.

20. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Hard drive not spinning down on old X9S was common. I've seen few people talking about it in this forum. Extra USB key trick worked. I also have Micro SD card inserted into the back of X9S for poster database and backups.

I didn't hear anybody complaining about drives not spinning down on new Z9X. You have isolated case. Try different enclosure or program the drive for sleep mode if available.