Feature requests for HT4.0

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Temearoo, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

At this moment Zidoo scans the new plugged HDs, USBs, NASs searching changes. You may add new files via USB which is easier to rescan.

2. Gramophone

Gramophone Member

I also thought, that when automatic scan is activated, it will only update new files.
    But sometimes I can see, that it is rescanning the single drives in my nas, and is always trying to rematch files, that I rematches manually.
    I am not sure yet, what is happening. Sometimes the rescan even stands still at certain files, and will not proceed.
    Is that something that can be changed?

3. Respectfully, this is not a solution to the issue and is not a helpful answer. Why would I add new files via USB for an "easier" scan when my files are coming from a NAS?

4. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

I have about 100TB on my NAS separated into 3 volumes. The largest volume is 40TB on 5-drives SHR1 (i.e., kind of like RAID5). Scanning for new files only takes about 2 minutes on the largest volume. It used to take much longer when I had a lot of unmatched files. I came from Plex and had a lot of extras with Plex naming standards. I configured the HT4 exclude file name pattern options to exclude -featurette, -deleted, -behindthescenes, etc and now scanning is fast & quick. It used to try to rematch everything not matched and now it just skips over them.

5. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Obviously it may not be a solution for you while depending on NAS but it's for me. NAS-SMB is NOT working in my not-local server, receiving the data by antenna (Wimax). It's running fine in my Zappiti but stuttering in my Z9X.

6. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I've no idea why yours would do that - that's not how the mechanism works and in all the years of testing I've never seen that happen!

If auto-update is on, the box continually monitors the sources (for network storage you can see it doing this with WireShark) and then scans when it sees a change and it only scans the change.

If for example I add a new movie, the auto-scan takes about 10s - and 7s of that is the refresh wait.

7. Do you mind sharing a screenshot of your settings or something because mine definitely does not do that.

I have a 60TB Unraid server, so we are a little close :)

But yeah, if you guys could share your settings, It would help a lot. I am very used to how quickly Plex updates the library and HT was kind of pissing me off with doing the full library scans.

I can share mine too but Im in DC at work at the moment. I'll be home this evening and I can show a screenshot of my settings.

8. Hippoponderous

Hippoponderous Active Member

Ditto.
    I have 2 media directories: a folder for movies that contains ~1400 files & a folder for TV that contains 110 series subfolders, with a combined ~6500 episodes. Whenever I add or remove a file from either of those directories, the Z9X runs a full scan (on boot-up), which takes about ~2-3 minutes if there's a change to the Movie folder contents, & ~5-6 minutes if there's a change to the TV folder contents. So for me, a combined scan usually takes at least 7 minutes, during which time the Posterwall is prone to crashing & restarting. Frustratingly, if I'm casually browsing for a movie or episode during the scan, every 5 seconds when the Posterwall refreshes, I'm sent back to the top of whatever directory I'm in.
    If there's a way to reduce this media scanning time, I'd love to know how.

9. Markswift2003

I wonder if it's something to do with Unraid. Can't think what, but there's nothing in Settings that would cause this problem..

These are my HT settings though:

upload_2022-5-6_23-27-33.png

10. Marjen

Marjen New Member

I would really like a 2.35 mode. I have a 2.35 screen and if I am watching a move and then go back to menus half the info is off the screen.

photogeek1 likes this.
  11. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

Mine scans the whole source as well, takes quite some time. Rocking unRaid, too.
    72Tb used with 8528 episodes and 643 movies.

12. Markswift2003

Didn't know that.

It used to be that if If I sharked it I would see the constant traffic monitoring the NAS but I've just tried and that's no longer the case. Now what you see is the NAS drives sending packets whinging if the ethernet is disconnected but no active traffic from the Zidoo so I'm not sure what the mechanism is now - even if I shark on MAC address there seems to be no traffic related to scanning.

Such a mechanism would usually be either an addition, a deletion or a change in Modified Date and/or file size. None of those should change so maybe Unraid is doing something that fools the Zidoo into thinking that the whole library has changed?

As quick test, if I change the name of a movie for example, it takes 18 seconds for the library to refresh from the moment the file is changed. 13 seconds of that is just waiting for the scan to start. But the odd think is I see nothing to of from the NAS on Wireshark.

Hang on scratch the top bit - it's me being a numpty - I mirrored the wrong port on my switch to wireshark :)

Ok, so yes, I can see constant scanning traffic monitoring the NAS drives, so Unraid must be doing something the box doesn't like...

Here's an example:

upload_2022-5-7_11-23-49.png

Last edited: May 7, 2022
  13. Okay, so my settings are exactly as yours only I had "Automatically scan devices" on

Welp, I have no idea on that front. This is the first device Ive used my Unraid NAS with that has this issue. I've used a lot of boxes in the past with Kodi or Plex and never ran into the problem. Hopefully, someone can investigate and find out whats up.

For now, I have to leave the box on at all times because the scan times are unforgivable and I just want to turn on the TV and hop into a movie or TV show.

Last edited: May 7, 2022
  14. Purple

Purple New Member

My box also scans through the full library when auto updating which takes a few minutes due to the TV section having ~5000 episodes. Seems like it verifies the older files have matches and then skips to the newer ones. Not just scanning the new files like plex/Kodi would do for example. This is from an SMB share.

15. Markswift2003

Automatically scan devices is only for if you have content stored locally - if you don't do that, leave it off.

16. I'd love for Zidoo devices to better handle multi disc TV series box sets.
    There has been a suggestion to allow it to handle multiple episodes in a single image (which HT4 needs anyway for regular files) - eg:
    ShowX/
    --- ShowX S01E01E02E03/
    --- ShowX S01E04E05E06/
    But I've recently got my hands on this box set: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-Ultimate-Edition-Blu-ray/282440
    ... and that just won't work, and the 11 (12?) discs contain the entire series (TWICE), and a few movies.
    I'd love to do something similar to what we can do with movies, and have custom naming for each disk, so that way we can have something like this:

ShowX/
    --- ShowX.(1#Disk 1)/
    --- ShowX.(2#Disk 2)/
    --- ShowX.(12.Disk 12)/​

That way, in HT 4, it'll still be presented as "ShowX", but instead of listing episodes, it'll list disk numbers.

Temearoo likes this.
  17. Sure thing, I turned it off. Thank you for explaining what that setting does!

Any chance the file scanning thing with Unraid will be looked at in the future?

18. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

A very minor update I would like to see is the ability to reorder the position of the 8 images of the recently added titles. Just a touch up but one might want to put the item that is hard left down towards the end. Definitely a first world problem

19. Markswift2003

Unfortunately that probably won't happen simply because that row is "Recently Added" and if a custom sort is added it kind of negates that.

Also it's a fair bit of work in the database because those posters are just derived from the first 8 in order of ADDED_TIME or MODIFIED_TIME in the database and this would at least mean another field and possibly another table.

I have my recently added sorted by MODIFIED_TIME because I rescan the database so often that ADDED_TIME is meaningless.

If something gets out of order - for example I modify an old file and it suddenly becomes first in that row, then I use this to change the dates:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bulk_file_changer.html which is brilliant for multiple files..

Or this for simple single file jobs:

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/filedatech.html

Netmask likes this.
  20. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Yes I thought of doing that, I might give that a go to push a couple of recent updated files appearing as the first 2 items. I just know if a couple of friends spot them I’ll have to sit through them again! There are too many others to catch up so these two are low priority.