Some questions before I buy Zidoo Z9X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Kaiduss, Apr 9, 2022.

1. Kaiduss

Kaiduss New Member

I'm about to purchase Zidoo Z9X for media playback from external hard drive on my LG C1. There are a couple of questions I have to ask before I pull the trigger.
    1. Will the device handle DTS audio transcoding? LG C1 doesn't support DTS audio so I need a device that will transcode the audio before it reaches the TV. A lot of my content has DTS sound and I would rather keep the files intact. Will it be necessary to get a sound system and work around the TV not supporting DTS or pass-through DTS or will Z9X transcode it to AAC/AC3 for me (not an audiophile so I won't mind a downgrade in quality if it means I can watch my existing files with sound).
    2. Will Dolby TrueHD audio work for me if I connect Z9X to the TV via EARC HDMI? It doesn't work when I connect the external drive directly to the TV.
    3. How is the default media player on Z9X? Or what media player would you recommend for playback of BluRay REMUX files?
    4. Is Z9X tough to configure properly for someone who's never had experience with any media players?
    5. How are the subtitle settings in Z9X? With the native LG player I'm running into a problem of subtitles being way too bright in HDR and blinding me in a dark room (even if I switch the color to gray which is basically light gray).

For context - up until last week I've had an LG LCD and everything I watched was via external drive plugged into the TV, using native LG app. So, additionally, if you can think of any upgrades I didn't mention that Zidoo Z9X will offer, feel free to mention them and talk me into pulling the trigger on this device.

2. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Zidoo will scale down every video file to ability of your TV including DTS and Dolby TrueHD down to 2 channels stereo LPCM that your TV can play. You will get enhanced image from HDR and DV sources even if you TV does not support it. You also get Poster Wall automatically populated with posters and synopsis for the collection of movies you have. Zidoo is a top media player for your own collection. It is not intended for Netflix or IPTV.

3. Susano

Susano New Member

So does this mean it can’t play Netflix at all? Or it can be problematic?

4. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Don't buy expansive Zidoo for Netflix and other streaming services. There are plenty of other inexpensive options including TV build in apps. Netflix will be problematic with reduced resolution and quality if you get it going. Zidoo players are not licenced for Netflix. It's an excellent player for your own locally stored content on network drives or plugged into Zidoo directly.

coyote2 likes this.
  5. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Get a soundbar or an AMP for DTS if quality MCH sound is important for you.

6. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

An smart TV with apps and Z9X are the perfect choice to get best service for media player and streaming offer.

7. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Yes streaming video services on a Smart TV and streaming music services on your smartphone with BT HD audio streaming to Neo X is what I regard best in class for now (or an excellent AMP with BT HD input)

8. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Of course, I forgot to mention a good AVR which it's a must!!

9. coyote2

coyote2 Member

Good to know; I came here wondering why Netflix isn't in the G version firmware's Play Store.
    Not that I'd actually use Netflix on my Zidoo, I think my streaming boxes are better for that. I just was seeing what I could do with the Play Store.