Skin shadows

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by Valkyre57, Mar 21, 2022.

1. Valkyre57

Valkyre57 New Member

Hi dears
    please help me to find what is this anomaly called and how fix. THERE IS YELLOWISH SKIN SHADOWS.
    images shot by google pixel.
    Player: zidoo z9s, output 2160p 23h, color yuv 444, depth 8bt, hdmi 16-235, HDR Auto.
    Tv: Samsung 58" TU7160, picture set to "FILMMAKER MODE"

Attached Files:

2. metar

metar New Member

I think it's the Filmaker Mode.
    I have a LG oled, and that Mode made the same yellow shade.
    I tried all of the preset settings, and I don't like them at all: I prefer customize at my will.

3. Valkyre57

Valkyre57 New Member

Thanks for answer. What kind of adjustment i would do? Please tell me yours

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Also if you're using 2160p23 you should set the to YUV 444 10-bit:

Playback/Automatic frame rate/Frame rate mode: Switch frame rate and resolution
    Display/HDMI Mode: 3840x2160p 23Hz
    Display/HDR: Auto
    Display/Advanced settings/Deep Color Mode: 10-bit
    Display/Advanced settings/Color Space Mode: YCbCr 444
    Display/Advanced settings/HDMI Range Mode: 16-235

5. Valkyre57

Valkyre57 New Member

Dear my TV has 8 bit panel and should i set yuv444 10 bit?

6. Markswift2003

Yes because the panel will interpolate a 10-bit signal whereas the Zidoo will not.

So if you take a 10-bit movie and output as 8-bit from the Zidoo you will get posterisation but the TV will dither the 10-bit signal correctly and you should not see posterisation - or at least it will be minimised.

7. Valkyre57

Valkyre57 New Member

Is My issue called Posterisation?
    Dear i set it on 10 bit but no any improvement. Have no idea what to do anymore

8. Markswift2003

What is "HDR" set to on the Zidoo? (Quick Setting/Display/HDR)

9. Valkyre57

Valkyre57 New Member

On Auto. There is 4 options "sdr mapping hdr", "sdr rec.709", "sdr rec.2020" and "auto".

10. Markswift2003

Yes, I would choose Auto for that TV.

The reason I ask is that the effect looks like Realtek's HDR to SDR conversion which has some bad colour effects.

I'm not sure what the problem is here - Does it happen on all movies?

11. Valkyre57

Valkyre57 New Member

Yes on all movies, i always downloaded original size movies. SDR 4K content is ok on youtube . Maybe it is the tv HDR algorithm or tv panel must calibrated. Have no idea where i must search reason

12. Markswift2003

Can you post a screen shot of the Info screen - play a movie and press "Info".

13. Valkyre57

Valkyre57 New Member

Attached Files:

14. Markswift2003

Ok - that all looks completely correct - it must be something to do with the TV setup.

I have a Z9S and a Samsung TV and they work perfectly together...

15. Valkyre57

Valkyre57 New Member

Any ideas or any posts how adjust or calibrate my Samsung tv?
    This images from tv youtube app.

Attached Files:

16. Markswift2003

Try different colour settings on the TV - on my Samsung it's called "Picture Mode". Make sure it's set to "Standard" or similar.

You should turn anything off that processes the image.

17. Valkyre57

Valkyre57 New Member

Dear That's why i am using "filmmaker mode" there turned off everything (interpolation, noise reduction etc.)

18. Valkyre57

Valkyre57 New Member

@Markswift2003 Dear mark i played with shadow detail (black level) and this yellowish shadows improved well but when i am checking black level with test pattern i lost shadow details . Can you tell me what kind of pattern i must use for HDR ?

Attached Files:

19. Markswift2003

The first problem is that you have the Gamma set to BT.1886 - this is a clue as to what's happening - I might be right that this is converting HDR to SDR because BT.1886 is SDR Gamma. HDR should be ST.2084.

It looks like your TV's EDID is telling the Z9S that it is SDR and so the Z9S is converting HDR to SDR and unfortunately the Realtek engine is very bad at that and produces results exactly as you describe.

Do you have an option called UHD Colour (or something similar) on the Samsung because I think it might be turned off.

Sometimes on Samsungs there can be specific HDMI ports used for UHD Colour.

20. Valkyre57

Valkyre57 New Member

Thanks for reply. It is my fault i showed you wrong pic, actually gama is ST.2084 when HDR.
    I searched "UHD Color" and have no this option.
    I found "Input Signal plus" and when i set it to Off it just shows me 8Bit image, i think it is HDMI Enhanced mode.
    I found option "HDMI black level" and in user manual sayed that it is only works on RGB444 mode.

I tried play with gamma but no improvement, only when setting "shadow detail" set to -3 but then i lost accuracy.