Recommended Settings and other knowhow for HiFi players/playback

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nice Monkey, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

As you can see yourself I have an Onkyo. Just look at the bottom. If you tell me exactly what to try I will do so. Know nothing about KODI. Just fired it up to test that it runs.

2. Valary

Valary New Member

I am not sure about the exact model of the receiver. In the original message, if I remember right it was about RZ series of Onkyo. Unfortunately, I was unable to find it now to quote the exact message, but the guy said that he was able to pass DSD to the receiver via HDMI, using the native Onkyo application. So I heard the opinion that generally it's not possible on android, but he claimed it was with android box "( Zidoo or Dune). Have you ever tried to use Onkyo application on Zidoo for playing DSD? As I can see you have as well OPPO UDP-203 - I assume it definitely should be able to passthrough DSD, is it so?

3. Nice Monkey

DSD via HDMI works with all recent HT amplifiers. No problem with an OPPO. Also have a RZ type Onkyo (the best series from them) but doubt if that matters.

Tried the Onkyo APP in the past:
    https://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?topic=3868.0
    Did not do DSD via HDMI then for sure. Used an external DAC with it which worked DSD via USB.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  4. Valary

Valary New Member

I know that App can playback DSD dsf and dff files and corresponding DSD settings where you can set PCM, DoP or Direct. So can you try to playback DSD and check if it can really pass DSD stream via HDMI

5. Nice Monkey

I will do only DSD => PCM for HDMI but it can do DSD Native or DoP via USB to an external DAC.

6. Latch_be

Latch_be New Member

Hi,

Tried to play 2-channel .dsf on my UHD3000 6.3.75G, analog out through the internal DAC and no sound at all.

PCM plays just fine, the same .dsf files play on my OPPO 103 perfectly...

Have someone already encountered the same problem ?

Thanks,
    Latchezar

7. Nice Monkey

DSF, DFF and ISO format 2 CH SACD albums/tracks play just fine using UHD3000.
    a) Via HDMI with DSD => PCM conversion.
    b) Native DSD via the DAC panel when set to Internal Player (The DAC ICON shows up on the font panel and TV main screen then).

Use it all the time. You may send me an example.

8. Latch_be

Latch_be New Member

Thanks for the prompt reply, Nice Monkey!
    I tried restarting the player and this time everything went OK => Native DSD to analog through the ESS9068.
    I do not know yet if the problem was that I tried to play the .dsf files immediately after having scanned their folder on my NAS, thus some kind of MP6 bug, or it was a non-consistent format "trigger" request sent to the Sabre DAC after the previous pcm play, or something else.
    Will check again adding another .dsf folder.
    Regards,
    Latchezar

9. GeorgeSandall

GeorgeSandall New Member

Hi, I'm a new Z9X user. So far, I have set everything to my satisfaction. I have root, black launcher, etc. I just can't force the Z9X to play DTS 5.1 and DTS WAW audio files. I am 56 years old and I only have an old Sony STR-DB1070 QS connected SPDIF to Zidoo. After unpacking, I felt it worked. Does anyone have an idea what to do with it? About how to play these files in a video player as I read. Set SPDIF - RAW, movies and concerts in DTS, DD play without problems in the multichannel. Please simple answer for an old cat. Thank you all, George

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  10. Nice Monkey

@GeorgeSandall
    So you are a youngster. ;)
    In fact never tried SPDIF myself but DTS-CD with DTS5.1 and DTS-ES do play via HDMI for sure. Just look at my bug reports for those. The DTS-CD formats not playing were solved but playing with gaps isn't. I am not so sure that HD DTS tracks can be played via SPDIF for bandwidth reasons. Always use the coaxial port and not optical if you have a choice.

@Latch_be
    Yes MP6 may have some weird behavior at the first start. Sometimes it needs to play a PCM track first too before playing DSD?
    Also the VU-meters may not work at the first play for an odd reason and never work with DSD or MCH PCM.

Enough work to do for Music Player. It very slowly gets improvements.

Latch_be likes this.
  11. GeorgeSandall

GeorgeSandall New Member

Sorry maxhim, translation error :)

12. maxhim

maxhim Active Member

English, please!

13. Gennadiy Gleyzer

Gennadiy Gleyzer New Member

Good afternoon everyone, I'm a new user of "zidoo uhd 3000", I had a question about the settings: I use 2 HDMI outputs, one to the TV and the other to the receiver, when using the internal player, the sound works fine via HDMI which is connected to the amplifier, if I use the input USB IN on zidoo to i have silence , am I doing something wrong, or only analog audio output works in such a scheme (because I hear sound in this setting), and not HDMI. Hope somebody explain what happens . Thanks

Andybox likes this.
  14. Nice Monkey

Chapter-2 peculiarities was rewritten as matters there are not intuitive and far from trivial.
    Comments and/or corrections are most welcome.

Latch_be likes this.
  15. Ozzyoz

Ozzyoz Member

Zidoo Z9X , can play the ADVD ?

16. Nice Monkey

What is ADVD? It won't play DVD-Audio disc with MLP audio tracks for sure (these reside in the AUDIO_TS folder). It may play DVD-Video music albums with typically DTS and PCM std definition tracks (found in the VIDEO_TS folder) but Zidoo is not really good in processing DVD Menus.

Some call these Audio DVD's. You may like to read Chapter-5).

17. Ozzyoz

Ozzyoz Member

Thank You

18. AEJ

AEJ New Member

HI I only listen to 2 channel CD / flac music in Multichannel stereo which gives (in general) a much fuller and richer ,warmer, less fatiguing and pleasant sound just my 2 cents worth its what people enjoy that all that matters i stopped being a purist 2o years old all that matters to me is if i like the sound regardless of format..my big lament is that there are hardly any blu-ray concerts or music discs being produced ...never seen one in 4K yet... You-tube has killed the market i think yet in general you tube is not high quality sound like a blu-ray disc in DTS HD MA or Doldy true HD etc but I still use you tube too ! whatever format you like enjoy your music !

muha and rozel like this.
  19. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Hi - you make very valid points. I was originally responding to @Nice Monkey 's post at the end of December. He's always quoting specs as the be all and end all when comparing equipment. He believes that the the Dac card itself is what matters - he is so wrong - I really don't think he's ever heard of "jitter". He makes no scientific measurements whatsoever and given the amount of equipment he has amassed, I would be surprised if his ears are not confused lol and would be sceptical about anything subjective that he says about Internal or external DACs. He concentrates, or at least that is what it appears, on MCH music. I have also asked for some comparisons between the various Zidoo models, whether they have internal DAcs or tethered to external ones but I doubt this kind of review will be forthcoming.

I'll say again though that my Gustard X-16 paired with my Zidoo 1000 Pro would give the Neo X (nevermind the Neo S or the UHD 3000) a run for its money. I regret though that I'll never find out :(

20. muha

muha Active Member

I must admit I feel this way too. I guess it is all about setting your speakers/AVR right. And it is hard to be purist when your setup is actually in multifunctional living room. BTW I do have stereo setup in smaller bedroom and it is great too. I am thinking of turning it into LP room and give it much more thought in process.

rozel likes this.