EDID thread (RTD1619DR players)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

There has always been a mode called (amongst other things) "Ultra White" or "Super White" which extends white from 235 to 255 so the dynamic range goes from 16-255 (so it's not new) but video content is encoded in 16-235 in 8-bit (generally SD and HD) and 64-940 in 10-bit (generally UHD) so there's no good reason to extend white beyond 235 or 940.

2. vddan

vddan Active Member

Ok, so what we read about this extended range is 'pipo'.......it doesn't surprise me!
    Thank you for your answer.

3. Michael Ching

Michael Ching New Member

@Markswift2003 , do you have any update from Zidoo team if the HDR SEI message would be implemented in future fw? I am using the Epson TW8300 pj (UB5040) and whenI load the 1st custom EDID that came with the player and select LLDV in HDR setting, the projector goes blank. I think this is the case of pj not understanding the LLDV signal and I am unable to manually trigger HDR on the pj.

4. Markswift2003

No, but I'll try and remember to ask after the holiday.

The reason your projector goes blank is because that EDID is a 600MHz (18Gbps) EDID and your projector is HDMI 1.4 (despite supporting HDR!) and only supports up to 300MHz.

When you select LLDV the refresh rates sets to 60Hz and because LLDV is a 4:2:2 12-bit signal, that means a 600MHz signal is output and your projector can't do anything with it.

If you send me your EDID with the Zidoo connected as normal I'll add an LLDV block to it for you. This should mean that when you switch to LLDV, the Zidoo will know it can't do 4K60 LLDV so will drop down to 4K30.

serg fedorov likes this.
  5. Michael Ching

Michael Ching New Member

@Markswift2003 ,

I've always thought that Epson HDMI port 1 supports up to 18Gbps, looks like I'm wrong. It's a 4 years old pj. :)
    Attached is the EDID extracted with zidoo direct to the pj. Perhaps you could confirm the EDID bandwidth with it.

Also, dropping LLDV to 4K30, would it result in drop in quality?
    Looking forward to the added LLDV block, your help is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files:

6. Markswift2003

Attached is the EDID report - Epsons are always a bit odd. They used to do PJs with 4K but no HDR and yours is essentially an HDMI 1.4 EDID with HDMI 2.0 additions but the TDMS clock max is 300MHz (8.9Gbps).

Also attached is your EDID with the addition of an LLDV block to use in the Zidoo.

Attached Files:

7. Markswift2003

Sorry - forgot to answer the question about drop in quality!

Yes and no...

The GUI obvioulshy drops from 4K60 to 4K30 (assuming auto frame rate is on) and that doesn't make any difference and since most video content will be 4K23/24 that will play at the correct frame rate.

It's only of you play 4K60 content that you'll see the frame rate drop to 30, but in all honestly you'll probably not notice the difference.

8. Can this help me to see DV in my non dolby PJ diplay? I have Vertex hdfury between z10pro and UHD51A optoma. I use vertex as splitter as i have another source(nvidia shield). I never changed edid. I have z10pro set to always use DV10 engine to play any file and VS10 logo appears on every playback and PJ goes into HDR automatically. Isnt this what your saying? Isnt this forcing DV automatically on PJ? Why change EDID? please help if i am not using full potential of my hardware since i want DV on my HDR PJ. It supports HDR 10 bt2020 but not DV.

9. Markswift2003

You probably need to look on the AVS Vertex threads and this thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/do...nversion-w-dtm-on-projectors.3097934/page-203

But yes, you can use EDID to fool the Zidoo into spitting out BT.2020 LLDV and then use an HDR message generated by the Vertex to switch the projector into BT.2020 HDR.

Once LLDV is mapped to BT.2020, which is what this EDID does, the signal is true dynamic Dolby Vision processed by the Zidoo and the output mapped to a static gamma in exactly the same way that HDR10 does it.

I've attached a PDF I wrote a while ago which might help - assuming you have a Vertex 2. You can do similar with a Vertex 1 with the exception that you can't send the HDR message when the Vertex receives an LLDV signal, it has to be sent full time.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  10. Which edid should i use for bt2020 dv? Can you share it? Your attachment says for custom 10 sony A1 on vertex.

11. Markswift2003

Yes, the easiest is Custom 10 - that's one I wrote for HDFury a couple of years ago although it's not a Sony EDID at all and I'm not sure why they insisted on calling it Sony...

It's the same one used in the Zidoo Custom LLDV EDID

If you want to capture your own EDID and send it to me I can add the Dolby Block to it so it's specifically for your own setup.

12. Michael Ching

Michael Ching New Member

@Markswift2003 thanks for the modified edid with LLDV 30hz. I will be putting this to test and really appreciate your help!

Markswift2003 likes this.
  13. How should i capture my edid? Should I just export the config file from vertex and attach here?

14. Markswift2003

No the config file just gives the settings for the Vertex.

You can use the Vertex - "Read TV (Top/Bottom) EDID" and then "Save to File" but the easiest is to use the Zidoo:

Go to "Settings/Display/Custom EDID" and click "Save EDID"

To post here change or add the file extension to .txt

15. Michael Ching

Michael Ching New Member

@Markswift2003 I still get a blank screen with the modified edid. Is it because of the missing SEI?

16. Markswift2003

That's odd - if I load that EDID here the GUI gets pushed out at 4K30 4:2:2 LLDV which is 297MHz - well within the capabilities of your projector.

The projector doesn't know what LLDV is so it wouldn't care - it just sees a 297MHz video signal.

Problem is, without an HDFury device you can't really tell what's going on. That's the beauty of having one - you can diagnose exactly what the issue is even when you're not getting a picture.

You could try pressing the "Resolution" button on the remote - that cycles various resolutions.

You could also try setting HDR to "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine (for SDR, GDR, DV Content)"

That will put out the GUI in SDR and only video content will be converted to LLDV.

17. Anders

Anders New Member

Hello
    I have just purchased the zidoo z9x, it's arriving in a few days
    What are the best recommended
    settings for the Samsung lsp9t projector
    Thanks in advance :)

18. Markswift2003

19. Anders

Anders New Member

Thanks I have had a quick read, I will have more of an idea and understanding when it arrives
    I was interested in the custom edid for Dolby vision on my Samsung lsp9t, which file would be the most suitable to use 400 nits or 1000 or 4000 etc

20. Markswift2003

Probably 1000nits - that's the sweet spot for LLDV - but it depends on whether you can manually switch the projector into HDR mode or not.