MKV with Dolby Vision stuttering

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Stratos_K, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Cheers - will check it out this evening..

2. Stratos_K

Stratos_K Member

No problem. Just need to know if this is some short of bug in Zidoo's way of playback Dolby Vision files or these guys are still trying to figure how to make Dolby Vision UHD encodes.

Although I am curious why my computer can playback the file without any stutter.

3. Markswift2003

It's not a bug as such because the Zidoo plays Dolby Vision compliant files correctly - these files are kind of "Home Brew" so unexpected behaviour is expected if that makes sense...

The reason your PC plays it is because it's ignoring the Dolby Vision info completely and just playing the 10-bit base layer which is just a standard HDR10 encode. Mine does the same using MPC-HC.

4. Stratos_K

Stratos_K Member

Oh, I didn't know that.

5. Bdub48

Bdub48 Member

HI,

I'm a little late to the game but just last week purchased a z9x last weekend i see the same problems exist with the stuttering and at times different color flashes of green pink etc. Still playing around with it h=but it seems these issues are mostly with DV MKV files that are FEL. The MEL seem ones play fine. The only way it seems to work with no issues in FEL is making it as an ISO file.

6. Zidixx

Zidixx Member

I have a problem with micro stuttering. I use the V6.3.92 (Zidoo UHD3000). there are only short stutters of the film and then it goes on normally. As soon as I watch the same film via the usb of my TV, I no longer have any stutters. Does it have to do with this beta version or does the tv handle it better.

7. Markswift2003

One thing these players have never suffered from is Micro Stutter - this is something that the 1295 Dune, Zappiti and Zidoo players had an issue with many years ago and at the time, Zidoo were the only ones to fix it.

Since the 1296, it's never raised its head so I'm afraid you need to look elsewhere for the solution.

Zidixx likes this.
  8. Zidixx

Zidixx Member

You're right, it can't be a micro stutter. I've now tried a few things, including playing the original disc in my Panasonic Blu-ray player, the same point also got stuck briefly. Then I changed the HDMI inputs on my TV, no success, same result. Only when I plug the film on an external HDD directly into the USB input of my TV do I not have this stuttering. I think the problem is with my TV and its HDMI inputs. Thank you for your help

9. Markswift2003

Interesting the original disc gets stuck - seems to indicate a mastering issue - what software do you use to rip to MKV?

10. Zidixx

Zidixx Member

I first used MakeMKV for this movie and later also used DVDfab for verification. But got the same error with either DVDfab MP4-DolbyVision or DVDfab MKV-DolbyVision passthrough. But as soon as I import directly to the TV USB, regardless of whether it's MakeMKV or DVDfab, this stuttering is no longer noticeable. It's really all about that one scene when Bilbo buys a fish in the market and then turns around and walk away. Exactly at this rotation I can see a short jerk. As I said, only 1 stuttering is visible in the entire film, so nothing serious. anyway thanks for your feedback.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  11. Pete B

Pete B Member

I wonder if this stuttering-on-some-players-and-not-others is related to whatever went wrong with Arrow's Donnie Darko 4K Theatrical Cut disc?

For those who don't know, the original Donnie Darko Limited Edition 4K release had an error on the Theatrical Cut disc where it stutters along and is unwatchable on some players but plays correctly on others such as the Sony X800. Arrow replaced these discs and the correct ones have a V2 on the disc so you can see if you have a dud or not. However, this error has found its way into the Standard Edition 4K Theatrical Cut disc (Arrow aren't replacing these discs though so it's boo-hoo for us customer)s. I have 2 of these Standard Edition 4K releases and while the Theatrical Cut disc plays fine on my Sony X800, MKVing it and playing it via the Zidoo Z9X has it stuttering along.

Anyway, the point is that the stuttering appears on some players and not others. While this is an extreme example (as it happens constantly), perhaps this error can happen occasionally with the odd stutter that some players ignore but others faithfully reproduce?

Zidixx likes this.
  12. Zidixx

Zidixx Member

thank you for your help

13. Bdub48

Bdub48 Member

Hi,

I don't know if this s related but I've seemed have stutter/judder issues on Dolby vision/Non Dolby vision files with the original disc or otherwise on Profiles 5,7 and 8. Some worse on certain movies than others more on Non DV Mkv's.

i have a question cause i have a External Nas and most of my files are playing via SMB. I have and older Orbi 4 series setup along with an Netgear 8 ethernet splitter setup all using Cat8 ethenet cables. When i have my Z9x connected to my Orbi via ethernet i get less stutter/judders and when i use WiFi i get little to no Studer/judders.
    Is 400mbps internet speed enough for watching 4K movies? I've heard they say 25mpbs should be sufficient but I'm assuming those are with compressed files which in this case the MKVs aren't as compressed.

14. audit13

audit13 New Member

When streaming locally-stored movies with the z9x, Internet speed is not relevant because it is the speed of the network that matters.

I rip the main movie of my 4k DV discs using makemkv with no compression to a QNAP NAS. I play the files using a z9x and get no stutters with the NAS connected via Ethernet and z9x connected via WiFi.

15. Bdub48

Bdub48 Member

Hi Audit13,

Thanks for the response. I do the same thing in terms of using Makemkv take the main and store it on my Asustor NAS. I watched The Amazing Spider Man 2 last night and was the first movie I've watched on here where i didn't get a single stutter/judder Via WIFI. I normally get them with any profile of 5,7 or 8 when i'm connected Via Ethernet and don't know why still trying to work through and pinpoint the issue. I'm using Cat8 cables and tried with an older Cat6 cable i had and still get stutter/judder. I also have an 8 Ethernet splitter and I seem to get more stutter/judders when connected to it than if i were to connected straight to my Orbi Router. The only files i don't get stutter/judder Via Ethernet is playing HD mp4 files. But Again thanks.

Bdub48

audit13 likes this.
  16. audit13

audit13 New Member

You're welcome.

It is odd that stutters happen with Ethernet but not Wifi. I was using Ethernet until I was able to bring my router closer to the z9x and don't recall stuttering via wifi.

Ripping my 4k DV discs included only the main movie, lossless audio, and English subtitles. I checked the file after ripping and they were Profile 7 dual layer DV.

I hope you are able to solve the issues.

Bdub48 likes this.
  17. Bdub48

Bdub48 Member

Hi Audit13,

Yeah it is very odd but i did do some more research and got some info it may be the ethernet cables i'm using. Its funny cause i got these off of Amazon and its one that good pretty high rating by over 45,000 people and haven't had any problems with them since i use theses on everything else i run. I'm switching to a older cat7 cable that seems to work but will do more test tonight and watch a full movie with this setup. Amazing Spider Man 2 i watched last night was a profile 7 will try another profile 7 type for another test with the cat7 cable.

Thanks Again for your help
    Bdub48

audit13 likes this.
  18. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

FWIW I use Cat5 cables installed over 10 years ago - they produce perfect results through my house, always have done - if IRC I bought them from a local B&Q. My broadband is FTTC not full fibre so max throughput is appx 59 Mbps. I can play / stream 4k DV.HDR10+ and 60 fps without any stuttering whatsoever. Like @Markswift2003 's my cables are buried under floors and go through walls and have no intention to change them until I have to.

19. Markswift2003

This is why I rarely reply to posts about stuttering etc - it's invariably external issues - whether it's the files or the infrastructure, it's seldom the box.

thenextvision and rozel like this.
  20. Markswift2003

And just to add while I'm rolling with this, I use SMB.

NFS has lower overhead in the payload, and yes, years ago it was preferable to say SMBv1 with older network equipment (this is back in the late days of DVD, early days of BluRay) because of this, but these days, with newer SMB protocols and modern switches, there's no reason NFS is preferable over SMB and again, if you see any difference it's probably more down to network infrastructure than anything else.