MKV with Dolby Vision stuttering

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Stratos_K, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Stratos_K

Stratos_K Member

I have been using the Zidoo Z9X with firmaware 6.3.60 and in general I never had any problems with all my files (mostly I playback 4K HDR10 files). Recently I tried out the following MKV file with Dolby Vision and for some reason I get some stuttering which happens every 1-2 seconds.

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : HEVC
    Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
    Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
    HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
    Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
    Duration : 2 h 35 min
    Bit rate : 33.9 Mb/s
    Width : 3 840 pixels
    Height : 1 608 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
    Bit depth : 10 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.229
    Stream size : 36.8 GiB (90%)
    Writing library : x265 3.5+19-8003e4382:[Windows][GCC 11.2.0][64 bit] 10bit
    Encoding settings : cpuid=1111039 / frame-threads=5 / numa-pools=32 / wpp / no-pmode / no-pme / no-psnr / no-ssim / log-level=2 / input-csp=1 / input-res=3840x1608 / interlace=0 / total-frames=223615 / level-idc=51 / high-tier=1 / uhd-bd=0 / ref=4 / no-allow-non-conformance / repeat-headers / annexb / aud / no-eob / no-eos / hrd / info / hash=0 / no-temporal-layers / no-open-gop / min-keyint=23 / keyint=250 / gop-lookahead=0 / bframes=4 / b-adapt=2 / b-pyramid / bframe-bias=0 / rc-lookahead=25 / lookahead-slices=4 / scenecut=40 / no-hist-scenecut / radl=0 / no-splice / no-intra-refresh / ctu=64 / min-cu-size=8 / rect / no-amp / max-tu-size=32 / tu-inter-depth=1 / tu-intra-depth=1 / limit-tu=0 / rdoq-level=2 / dynamic-rd=0.00 / no-ssim-rd / signhide / no-tskip / nr-intra=0 / nr-inter=0 / no-constrained-intra / no-strong-intra-smoothing / max-merge=3 / limit-refs=3 / limit-modes / me=3 / subme=3 / merange=57 / temporal-mvp / no-frame-dup / no-hme / weightp / no-weightb / no-analyze-src-pics / deblock=-3:-3 / no-sao / no-sao-non-deblock / rd=4 / selective-sao=0 / no-early-skip / rskip / no-fast-intra / no-tskip-fast / no-cu-lossless / no-b-intra / no-splitrd-skip / rdpenalty=0 / psy-rd=2.00 / psy-rdoq=1.00 / no-rd-refine / no-lossless / cbqpoffs=0 / crqpoffs=0 / rc=crf / crf=13.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpstep=4 / stats-write=0 / stats-read=0 / vbv-maxrate=160000 / vbv-bufsize=160000 / vbv-init=0.9 / min-vbv-fullness=50.0 / max-vbv-fullness=80.0 / crf-max=0.0 / crf-min=0.0 / ipratio=1.40 / pbratio=1.30 / aq-mode=2 / aq-strength=1.00 / cutree / zone-count=0 / no-strict-cbr / qg-size=32 / no-rc-grain / qpmax=69 / qpmin=0 / no-const-vbv / sar=1 / overscan=0 / videoformat=5 / range=0 / colorprim=9 / transfer=16 / colormatrix=9 / chromaloc=1 / chromaloc-top=2 / chromaloc-bottom=2 / display-window=0 / master-display=G(13250,34500)B(7500,3000)R(34000,16000)WP(15635,16450)L(40000000,50) / cll=787,239 / min-luma=0 / max-luma=1023 / log2-max-poc-lsb=8 / vui-timing-info / vui-hrd-info / slices=1 / no-opt-qp-pps / no-opt-ref-list-length-pps / no-multi-pass-opt-rps / scenecut-bias=0.05 / hist-threshold=0.03 / no-opt-cu-delta-qp / no-aq-motion / hdr10 / hdr10-opt / no-dhdr10-opt / no-idr-recovery-sei / analysis-reuse-level=0 / analysis-save-reuse-level=0 / analysis-load-reuse-level=0 / scale-factor=0 / refine-intra=0 / refine-inter=0 / refine-mv=1 / refine-ctu-distortion=0 / no-limit-sao / ctu-info=0 / no-lowpass-dct / refine-analysis-type=0 / copy-pic=1 / max-ausize-factor=1.0 / no-dynamic-refine / no-single-sei / no-hevc-aq / no-svt / no-field / qp-adaptation-range=1.00 / scenecut-aware-qp=0conformance-window-offsets / right=0 / bottom=0 / decoder-max-rate=0 / no-vbv-live-multi-pass
    Language : English
    Default : No
    Forced : No
    Color range : Limited
    Color primaries : BT.2020
    Transfer characteristics : PQ
    Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
    Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
    Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000 cd/m2
    Maximum Content Light Level : 787 cd/m2
    Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 239 cd/m2

I have tried MKV files with Dolby Vision before and all of them playback completely fine but all of them were the following.

HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU

So, what's the deal here?

2. pcristi

pcristi Active Member

Check Picture parameters and HDR Picture parameters from Zidoo quick settings to be as default (32), touching this settings can give strange pause or pink/green artifacts for DV video when play with DV(TV Led)/LLDV(Player Led) on some Sony/Panasonic TV models.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  3. Stratos_K

Stratos_K Member

I have all my setting as they are recommended in the following link

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...f-for-rtd1619-players-includes-unbrick.82695/

As I said this is the first video file that I have tried using the dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU format. All Dolby Vision files that I had tried so far and playback without any problems were all dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU.

Is this a general problem with this particular HDR format or it is just me?

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

No, there is no general issue with dvhe.07.06 or indeed any Dolby Vision profile or level - these boxes play all profiles equally well.

I can't see anything wrong with the MediaInfo data and the bitrate is low so I think the fact that it's Dolby Vision is irrelevant.

I can only think it's a dodgy file, particularly since the fault shows with a regular cadence of 1-2 seconds.

5. Stratos_K

Stratos_K Member

I will try another file with the same Dolby Vision profile an report back.

6. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

It's the EL that you need to get rid of. After having recoded baselayer, the frametypes of BL and EL don't match anymore which makes playback cause your issue.
    Extract RPU from source and convert to profile 8.1 with quietvoid's dovitool. Since you're using 3840x1608 you have to use --crop switch.
    Demux the elementary videostream into (recoded) BL and EL.
    Inject the cropped & 8.1-converted RPU into the baselayer. Remux to profile DoVi 8.1 (BL+RPU) mkv with MKVToolnix.

https://github.com/quietvoid/dovi_tool

serg fedorov likes this.
  7. Markswift2003

Good point! completely missed the fact it was re-encoded and cropped! :)

8. Stratos_K

Stratos_K Member

Just for your information. This was not a file I created. I "downloaded" it. It was the first UHD rip I saw with Dolby Vision dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU (all Dolby Vision ones so far were only dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU ones) and I was curious to try it out to see how the Z9X would behave.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  9. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

Try downloading a remux one. Too many variables with custom encode version.

10. serg fedorov

serg fedorov Active Member

I have about 7 profile rips of about 12 films. All are reproducible without any problems.
    Most likely you got a badly done rip, or you haven't downloaded it and you need to rehashed the file.

11. Stratos_K

Stratos_K Member

If anyone wants to try it out just to confirm if it is a bad encode or if there is some bug with the Zidoo pm me for the details.

UPDATE: I tried to playback the file in my computer with VLC player and it plays without any stuttering.

UPDATE 2: I tried another movie with a similar Dolby Vision profile and although this one was better some slight stuttering here and there was still visible. Not constant and not so obvious but it was there.

But I noticed something else in both files I tried. In certain moments the brightness of the image would change. It is subtle but it is very obvious. The image becomes darker and then returns to its previous state. Its like the Zidoo has problems with the HDR of the files or something. This happens in both files I tried.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  12. Markswift2003

If you're seeing odd luminance changes at unexpected moments that would indicate bad RPU data - everything you're saying quite simply points to extremely badly encoded files.

If you want to snip a two minute clip from one of the files (use MKVToolnix) and PM me a link I'll take a look.

13. serg fedorov

Observed changes, jumps of rage in two films, both 7 profile, UHD DV. It's Saving Private Ryan and Apocalypse Now. But the jumps in brightness are not related to the player, but rather to the films themselves, they were badly done. It's a pity that the films are cult, but I had to remove them from the collection because of the brightness.

14. Markswift2003

It's a bit fiddly, but all you need to do is remove the Dolby Vision layers and you're left with a perfectly good HDR10 grade.

The luminosity changes occur due to errors in the enhancement layer which are compensated for by the RPU, but since the player does not use the enhancement layer video, the RPU compensations remain and affect viewing.

The HDR10 layer is a clean encode, so once you have that alone, you have a clean copy of the movie.

serg fedorov likes this.
  15. serg fedorov

Thanks Mark!
    But, there are enough 7-profile films that play amazingly, without any problems. For example, Gladiator, Dune, Mulholland Drive, and many others. Basic instinct plays just as well.

16. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

FYI dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU is usually created by MakeMKV when you rip a movie from DV UHDBD to mkv. However this video has been cropped and recoded.
    I have never been able to get a proper result by recoding a DV movie and using both BL and EL in the output. VLC just plays the baselayer properly, ignoring EL and RPU.
    Maybe you can try to play BL only with the Zidoo too by forcing HDR playback (so disable VS10 engine). If it plays back ok, it will not be DV of course.

But, did you try my suggestions to convert to 8.1 and see if it plays back DV properly?

17. Markswift2003

Exactly - I didn't know about Apocalypse Now, but badly mastered movies I've come across are Saving Private Ryan, Power Rangers and the original Total Recall.

I've done a lot of testing of all profiles with Zidoo since these boxes were released and now, as long as the source file is good, all Dolby Profiles and Levels play absolutely fine.

The point of removing the Dolby Vision layer from a title was just so you could have a copy of those particular movies without the bad RPU - it's a real shame that you can't chose to rip just the HDR10 layer with MakeMKV - I really don't understand why that isn't an option.

18. Markswift2003

I've encoded a few base layers and remuxed back with EL and RPU and they've worked fine, although what I didn't do was crop the encoded base layer as I can see all sorts of issues around doing that!

Assuming a Dolby Vision display, in order to force the Zidoo to play only the base layer in HDR10, you'd either have to chose "Mapping HDR10" which uses only the Realtek engine or load a custom EDID without Dolby Vision.

19. serg fedorov

On my machines, the HDR is not a very good solution. Regular blu-ray is preferable because of the detail in the shadows. Dolby Vision is a completely different matter, I really like it. Everything is in order with him with the details and with the rest too.

20. Stratos_K

Stratos_K Member

I created a 2 minute clip as you suggested. PMed you the link. Just for the record I tried this small clip with the Z9X too and it stutters also. If anyone else want to try the clip out of curiosity let me know and I can send the link for testing.

And as I said this is not an encode created by me. This is supposedly a "scene" release.